Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

4.5 CTD's

I haven't had enough time to fiddle around with it. I was able to complete a couple of short flights, but only at night and always CTD'ed when I took off at dusk. I need more time to pinpoint my issue, whether it's related to AI, PTA or possibly Radar Contact?

Gandalf, let me know what happens when you install the newest 4.5 hotfix.

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

There is no known error for CTDs when taking off at dusk.  P3Dv4 could not be the culprit here unless you are getting the error with a clean install of P3DV4 (and I know I have never had a CTD at dusk).  So it is an add-on or utility that is causing this.  The CTD guide has some suggestions for taking off or landing errors in the Probable Causes section.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I am not sure whether I am completely out of the woods, but is seems that deleting Prepar3d.cfg did the trick on my end. I've never deleted it since I installed v4. I'll report when I complete some more flights this coming weekend.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

That is supposedly number 1 on the list of fixes for crashes in P3D (and FSX).

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 5/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, Drumcode said:

.....possibly Radar Contact?

Gandalf, let me know what happens when you install the newest 4.5 hotfix.

Hi, still having problems, also wondered if it was Radar Contact related but then there would be more posts on that?

My crashes now flip flopping between fsuipc and Kernelbase. Have followed the advice in the ctd guide without success.

Looks like I may need to uninstall everything and do a clean Install of windows. Unfortunately my computer is not just used for flight simming so going to have to plan this carefully....

Wish me luck 🙂

Regards

G

5 hours ago, Gandalf said:

Have followed the advice in the ctd guide without success.

On the section about the FSUIPC, did you make sure you have the latest version.  A new version is released around the same time as an update to P3DV4.  If you have an older version, it will give you the kernelbase.dll faulting module and the faulting module usually changes to ntdll.dll, then StackHash, and several other reasons for the crash.  Check for double entries in the dll.xml.  This is known to cause crashes.  AI programs can also cause crashes like this.  If the textures are from another sim, like FSX or FS9, it will crash the sim but not all of the time because some flights you may not run into the incompatible AI textures.  There are so many reasons for a crash.  Once, it literally took me a month to figure out the causes for my crashes.  It turned out to be one simm that was bad.  All four simms did not indicate any problems whatsoever and programs like AIDA64 Extreme saw no errors.  But, if I ran an AIDA64 Extreme benchmark on the simms, the benchmark would eventually crash.  Fortunately the two I removed had the one module that was bad.  No errors, no crashes whatsoever since then.  One bent pin under the CPU will also cause periodic crashes.  Do you have these issues too?  Probably not but wanted to let you know there are a multitude of possibilities for a crash.  You can reinstall P3D and Windows as often as you want but if you have bent CPU pin or bad memory module or a bad overclock, you will get periodic crashes and sometimes the sim will crash 100% of the time.

I suspect you can blame P3D for all of your crashes as you can see above, the memory simms were all working great until I used a benchmark program or ran P3D where P3D uses the CPU more than the GPU to run the application.  If I had moved all of my P3D.cfg settings to the lowest, I probably would have been okay. 

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides a lot of suggestions but rarely contains any solutions to a crash.  To come up with the suggestions for the kernelbase.dll crash, I looked at every Flight Simulation website around the Internet and found these suggestions helped others fix their problem. So I put the suggestion in the Guide too.  The next version will probably not have these suggestions as I have found the suggestions did not work for any AVSIM member.  The best solution is to go to page 9 and follow the guidance to fix almost every crash or freeze in P3Dv4.5.  P3DV4.5 will run flawlessly on my system with default scenery and aircraft and default configuration.  With that setup, I can get over 300fps easily.  If I add one add-on, the fps suddenly dive around the 50-60 fps.  Everyone has to investigate there issues and the AVSIM Guide provides some suggestions to help you investigate.  You are not losing your P3D.cfg settings as the suggestion is to rename it to P3D.off.  It will be rebuilt after you restart your sim.  The dll.xml and exe.xml will also be rebuilt if you save the file to dll.off, exe.off (this is just for the one located in the same folder as your scenery.cfg.

If your sim does not have any crashes when you rerun the flight scenario, then the issue was with the P3D.cfg or the dll.xml in the same folder as your scenery.cfg.  If you are using the same P3D.cfg used for previous versions of P3D, you risk having a lot of crashes.  LM techs constantly modify the p3d.cfg to make your sim run better.  Can you believe I accidentally found the CMeteo.dll, the weather radar for Carenado, works great in nice weather.  But, if you have nasty storms with lightning, it will crash the sim within 5 minutes.

Getting off my soapbox, but everyone needs to investigate, investigate and investigate!  Only way you will fix YOUR problem.

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim

Many thanks for your reply. I was in no way criticising the ctd guide which has obviously helped a great number of people sorting out their problems and is a great resource very painstakingly put together.

I have checked memory modules using memtest86 which showed no errors and I have removed the cpu overclock even though it passed every test I threw at it.

But before I try the nuclear option I’ll try removing P3d again and be more conscientious in removing all traces of the core program and add ons.

Having currently a reasonably modest computer I have been fairly selective in what add ons I install and currently only use the Aerosoft Airbus, Radar contact, chaseplane, gsx (l2), AIG oci AI and about 4 add on airports.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply, off to the golf course now so I’ll get back to the computer this evening  🙂

Kind regards 

G

On 5/24/2019 at 12:27 AM, Gandalf said:

Hi Jim

Many thanks for your reply. I was in no way criticising the ctd guide which has obviously helped a great number of people sorting out their problems and is a great resource very painstakingly put together.

I have checked memory modules using memtest86 which showed no errors and I have removed the cpu overclock even though it passed every test I threw at it.

But before I try the nuclear option I’ll try removing P3d again and be more conscientious in removing all traces of the core program and add ons.

Having currently a reasonably modest computer I have been fairly selective in what add ons I install and currently only use the Aerosoft Airbus, Radar contact, chaseplane, gsx (l2), AIG oci AI and about 4 add on airports.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply, off to the golf course now so I’ll get back to the computer this evening  🙂

Kind regards 

G

Gandalf, I am all in the same boat as you. Kernelbase CTD's after Prepar3d.cfg was removed and regenerated by P3D. What are you post overclock removal results? I've also oc'ed when 4.4 came out and had no issues.

Jacek G.

You can add me to this group. v4.4 was very stable but since changing to 4.5 I've had lots of CTDs with KERNELBASE.dll being responsible. Twice it crashed lining  up on 27R at EGLL and again when rotating on same runway.

Deleted Prepar3g.cfg and was able to fly up to Manchester. But on the return I'm 10 miles out of 27R and it goes again. Seriously thinking of reverting to v4.4.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Stackhash is the snapshot of the software running under the hood when the system crumbled. The responsible party causing the CTD results in a stackhash reported.

Things that cause problems are over zealous settings and possible errors in scenery only selected with high settings or in hi res textures not often selected. Other possibilities include confused installs with relocated simulator folders, problems in xml add-on files. Generally when a CTD happens it's because of something attached to the sim such as DLLs.

If I could not locate the fault by unchecking the addons and disabling dlls and using simple aircraft and scenery location it might be hard to spot what's happened to the sim.

I could rename all the P3D folders, no need to worry about the pictures folder or the registry. I could then install a fresh copy of P3D from the full install. If that works I could then inspect the addons that are intended for inclusion.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have the same settings and addons as I had with v4.4. No KERNELBASE.dll crashes with that one. I did have the occasional crash but never so many in quick succession.

The only thing that has changed is the point update of P3D. If I revert to 4.4 and they continue then I know I need to look at settings and/or addons.

If they don’t continue then the finger is most definitely pointing to 4.5.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, Gandalf said:

Hi, still having problems, also wondered if it was Radar Contact related but then there would be more posts on that?

I can assure you Radar Contact is not the problem. It only reads from P3D via FSUIPC. You still running 4.5? Did they happen with 4.4 and earlier?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

53 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You can add me to this group. v4.4 was very stable but since changing to 4.5 I've had lots of CTDs with KERNELBASE.dll being responsible. Twice it crashed lining  up on 27R at EGLL and again when rotating on same runway.

Deleted Prepar3g.cfg and was able to fly up to Manchester. But on the return I'm 10 miles out of 27R and it goes again. Seriously thinking of reverting to v4.4.

Personally, I would revert. Wait until 4.6 or something... BTW Ray, we are well on the way to building the PC.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have the same settings and addons as I had with v4.4. No KERNELBASE.dll crashes with that one. I did have the occasional crash but never so many in quick succession.

The only thing that has changed is the point update of P3D. If I revert to 4.4 and they continue then I know I need to look at settings and/or addons.

If they don’t continue then the finger is most definitely pointing to 4.5.

I agree. I had perfectly stable machine ever since I installed 4.0 and I am also thinking about reverting back, but I've deleted my 4.4 .cab files and possibly the exe too and LM doesn't have these available for download anymore.

Jacek G.

1 minute ago, Drumcode said:

I agree. I had perfectly stable machine ever since I installed 4.0 and I am also thinking about reverting back, but I've deleted my 4.4 .cab files and possibly the exe too and LM doesn't have these available for download anymore.

I can make the 4.4 client available if you’re struggling. Assuming my Dropbox account is big enough.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather