Hi folks,

currently I'm running this setup:

• CPU: I7-8700k O/C to 5.1 Ghz
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
  • GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11GB O/C to 2100 Mhz
  • Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850W G2

Due to my settings being rather on the high side (most of them maxed out) I get solid fps with a few drops here and there (FsLabs into heavy autogen areas and a lot of traffic for example). But the major problem is that all other stuff beside P3D lags quite hard. Doesn't matter if its Discord, Google Chrome with Streams/Youtube etc.

So now I am considering to buy some new hardware to increase the capabilites of my system. 

My thoughts so far:

• CPU: i9-9900k
  • Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro
  • Ram: Corsair Vegeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200 Mhz
  • GPU: Gigabyte Aorus X RTX 2080Ti

I've been thinking for over a week about whether the gain in performance justifies the costs. I do use a 4K monitor for flightsimming and other stuff and I am happy with the performance und looks of my sim but I really would like to be able to do other stuff while in cruise without having lags.

Also I need to do a system reset sometime in the near future with a complete re-install of my sim and other stuff (need more space, so I need to install more SSD's and move some stuff) so it would be a perfect opportunity to combine a new build with the reset of my system. 

I am curious what you guys think about this - I would love to hear your opinions about this and if you have other ideas regarding the components for the updated build I would appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Gregor

Others with more knowledge that me may weigh in differently, but I don't think you will see an appreciable difference from your current setup to this. If I was to guess, based on my reading, maybe 3-4 FPS more?

Edited by busdriver
  • Upvote 1

I also don't know if it is worth it to drain $2000 (rough estimate) down the pipe and only gain a small margin in speed. 

I personally would not spend this money to go from a more than capable system to a slightly faster one.

Maybe start small and just update one component at a time, starting by the one you think is the biggest bottleneck.

Nope.  I wouldn't upgrade.  You already have a fantastic system.  Save your money.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gspi1991 said:

Hi folks,

Due to my settings being rather on the high side (most of them maxed out) I get solid fps with a few drops here and there (FsLabs into heavy autogen areas and a lot of traffic for example). But the major problem is that all other stuff beside P3D lags quite hard. Doesn't matter if its Discord, Google Chrome with Streams/Youtube etc.

So now I am considering to buy some new hardware to increase the capabilites of my system. 

My thoughts so far:

I've been thinking for over a week about whether the gain in performance justifies the costs. I do use a 4K monitor for flightsimming and other stuff and I am happy with the performance und looks of my sim but I really would like to be able to do other stuff while in cruise without having lags.

Also I need to do a system reset sometime in the near future with a complete re-install of my sim and other stuff (need more space, so I need to install more SSD's and move some stuff) so it would be a perfect opportunity to combine a new build with the reset of my system. 

I am curious what you guys think about this - I would love to hear your opinions about this and if you have other ideas regarding the components for the updated build I would appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Gregor

Upgrading your cpu to a 9900K is going to give you very little FPS boost.  You probably won’t notice any at all especially since you are at 5.1ghz already.  You will gain better loading times and smoother scenery loading but it still wouldn’t be worth it.  Upgrading to faster RAM would be beneficial IMO.  Upgrading to a 2080ti would let you increase the eye candy quite a bit.  I would wait to see what the next gen cpu’s bring to the table.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

Not worth it.

Probably end up paying ~500-600-700 per extra fps. Is that worth it? Probably the best question to ask yourself.

11 hours ago, gspi1991 said:

Hello,

what you do with your time and money is of course your own business, but then you did ask.

I agree that your proposed hardware upgrade will not be even slightly cost effective.

I would like to add that increasing available space does not require anything more than

either the time to copy and paste or some disk cloning software.

SSDs are several times more expensive than HDDs and offer P3D nothing more

than slightly shorter initial loading times.

Did I say what you do with your time and money is of course your own business?

Edited by Reader

13 hours ago, gspi1991 said:

Hi folks,

My thoughts so far:

Kind regards,

Gregor

Gregor,

See this please https://johnpchardware.com/i9-9900k-vs-i7-8700k/ 

Now, I had the  I7-8700k and jumped to  i9-9900k and FPS gain was between 3 to 5.

When I changed from 1080Ti to 2080 Ti not that I didn't see any spectacular changes in picture quality, I was faced with high fan noise from the GPU card in dense clouds situation which I didn't have from 1080 Ti and high temperatures. I sent back my card for replacement twice. Do a search on the internet, please.

If I would do some changes I would dial down that O/C from 5.1 to a stable value, already your PC is giving you signs of problems (I suspect due to an O/C problem), next, I would check memory with XMP and without and see if you still have "But the major problem is that all other stuff beside P3D lags quite hard". 

Next, I would entertain the idea of upgrading memory speed to 3200 MHZ.

I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just sharing with you my experience and how I spent my money in hope for... I don't know what to be honest with you.

What I learned is that all the other games after the upgrades showed a "positive" change in fluidity, picture, etc while this P3D (LM) not being properly optimized yet, it will not take any spectacular advantage of it. Maybe they will get their software optimized one day. 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

On 5/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, Greggy_D said:

Nope.  I wouldn't upgrade.  You already have a fantastic system.  Save your money.

Agreed.  Something else is screwed up.... maybe you have a virus?  Or run a anti spam/malware app.  I like Malware bytes but you'll get a ton of different opinions.  Heck even Microsoft Security Essentials is decent.  Check to see what's running in your system tray or task manager.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4k monitor and 1440 undocked ? its gone be hard on the GPU and cpu , some kind of bottlenecking i think

the 8700k is a good cpu " senery loading not as good and not as smoth as the cpus with more cores" i prefered the 7920X at 5ghz before the 8700K at 5.5ghz and my 9900k at 5.5ghz is way better then both the other.

1080Ti vs 2080TI on 4K , if you want high settings 2x1080TI or single 2080TI for me a single 1080TI was to weak

2080TI  run hot recomend one with really good cooling they had problem with first batch micron mems, later batches work good the micron mems they run hotter then samsung mems.recomend  card with samsung.mems.

"They cool the mems with hot air from the heatpipe cooler " 

Edited by westman

First, let me thank you for all the replies!

In the meantime I did a fresh windows installation on my current system to check if something was faulty. I have spent the last 24 hours re-installing all my addons and switched to P3D v4.5. 20 minutes ago I did the first test flight with my old settings, same OC (CPU + GPU), new SSD (1TB 860 Evo for P3D only). The results are terrible to be honest. 
Just went in the Maule for a flight around Vienna (FlyTampa Vienna + ORBX Global + LC Europe / ASP3Dv4, REX Skyforce, Environment Force + Chaseplane running) and it was a slideshow (around 11-13 FPS 5 minutes after take-off, cruising at 3.000 ft). My CPU was at 100% load all the time over all cores, my GPU never below 89% load. Temps were fine (CPU ~ 68-72C, GPU ~ 64C). I don't get it I will test my system via some benchmark tools if everything is working as intended (I highly doubt) or it's just because of v4.5 (a lot of people seem to have fps problems after updating to 4.5). My settings aren't that high (people with way slower hardware can run these settings without a problem).

The only thing I changed in the config. file are shadows (4096 instead of 1024) - like I do since v4 is out.

@westman no I only use my 4k monitor for P3D - the other 2 are for weather, charts, etc.

@killthespam My system is stable (at least it was for the last year) - I did several prime95 stress tests to make sure everything is fine without any issues. My temps are fine (high 60's to low 70's is the highest they get). 

My settings since v4.2 are:

f3aN6W6.jpg uW225sN.jpgeWmZpHB.jpgFzXxUr0.jpg

Just been looking at Intel's new roadmap 10nm this year new chipset 400. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

This is not good,  please check Task Manager without P3D running and see what is  your CPU doing.

I see  lots of background additional P3D software running. Try only P3D at ELLX for example without anything else. Restart P3D with only one additional software let's say Chaseplane and see what's going on.

With your system and settings you should not have any issues at all, oh do you have any traffic on?

Also see this https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software to do an evaluation on your PC, it might detect where is the problem.

Edited by killthespam

I did Cinebench R15 + Superposition tests and compared my results with others and they are completely fine.

Here are my userbenchmark results:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16820280

Looks good to me. Only the RAM is far behind - what I expected because it's only 2400 Mhz. 

In near idle conditions (only Google Chrome running) my CPU usage is 3%, RAM 19%, GPU 2%....so no issues outside of P3D. 

I don't get it - 2 days ago I used the same settings, same hardware (only the SSD for P3D changed) and I had a smooth sim (as I mentioned in the first post, P3D was running fine I only wanted to be able to do other stuff while in cruise which was the problem for me). Now in 4.5 with a clean system (where you would expect better performance because all is new and fresh) I have major FPS issues. Maybe I should go back to v4.4 until LM releases the hotfix for v4.5.

Edit: And no - I have currently 0 traffic in my sim. I used to use UltimateTrafficLive or flying on Vatsim but I haven't installed those yet.

Edited by gspi1991

I understand that there are many issues with 4.5 for certain people, unfortunately, there is no clear indication of what is causing the problem.

As an example on my PC, I don't have any issues, anyhow I would suggest if you know and if your memory is not overclocked try to raise it from 2400 to 2900 Mhz in BIOS and see if there is a difference.

Did you try to disable the other software running in concert with P3D? Any difference there?

You know, when you running P3D and have task manager up you can kill individual software that is running for P3D and see if CPU load drops down.

I guess that fix for P3D should be out soon, hopefully, they would not break something else.