Yeah I just tried the same flight/scenario without any 3rd party app running in the background - lil bit better on perfomance (since there is no ActiveSky/EnvironmentForce injecting data) but again my GPU usage was >75% all the time and my CPU usage too. Now I install the FsLabs A320 and try it out - this will be fun!

Interesting - tried the QW 787 at FlyTampa EHAM and the FsLabs A320 at Flightbeam KSFO - all good, CPU usage around 35-45% / GPU ~50% load, ~35 FPS. But as soon as I start up ActiveSky + SkyForce3D + EnvironmentForce and the weather is injected my GPU load goes straight up to 95%+ and my FPS drop to 12-15. 

You bottleneck the GPU, the 1080TI cant handle your settings keep in mind that LM port over more to the GPU on each realease.

if you want to keep your settings 2X108oTI or 1x2080TI prefer the single 2080T! , CPU 8700 vs 9900k dosent matter if you bottleneck the gpu as soon the gpu is overloded the frames start to drop in a slideshow.

You can monitor the gpu with GPUZ sensors tab lock att usage, clock and PerfCap Reason lock witch flags thats trigged ( PWR,Thrm,Util,VOp, vREL,idle)there you see witc part of the flight there gpu working hard it not need to be GPU usage that limit the gpu performance 

Pwr = Power. Indicating performance is limited by total power limit.

Thrm = Thermal. Indicating performance is limited by temperature limit.

Util = Utilization. Indicating performance is limited by GPU utilization.

vRel = Reliability. Indicating performance is limited by voltage reliability.

Edited by westman

1 hour ago, westman said:

You bottleneck the GPU, the 1080TI cant handle your settings keep in mind that LM port over more to the GPU on each realease.

if you want to keep your settings 2X108oTI or 1x2080TI prefer the single 2080T! , CPU 8700 vs 9900k dosent matter if you bottleneck the gpu as soon the gpu is overloded the frames start to drop in a slideshow.

That’s just completely wrong advice and doesn’t make any sense at all based on what has been stated here.

The OP says he’s using a single 4K display and looking at his settings they’re all pretty reasonable. None of this would overload a 1080ti to the point described here. 

I’m running a 4790k with a 1080ti and broadly similar settings to the OP. Main difference is I run some CPU heavy settings a notch lower as my CPU is not the best anymore. I never see more than 30-40% load on my GPU. Even with a newer CPU and the same settings as the OP that would not cause the FPS issues described unless he runs a triple+ screen 4K setup.

l have FPS locked at 30 and never go below that, not even in the London area in the FSL. I did have issues with v4.5 though, so went back to 4.4 client until the hotfix comes out.

There is clearly something else going on with ASP4 or EF/SF. I had issues a while back because I set cloud draw distance min and max to 150. Now have it at min 80 max 150 and no issues at all. 

I recommend reviewing your settings in ASP4, EF and SF. Cloud resolution could also have a huge impact, what are your settings for that? I’m running 512x512 DXT5, which is all you really need. If you had 4K at 32bit that may be an explanation. Can’t comment on EF/SF as I use ASCA and Envtex/Envshade, but it heard those REX products have a couple settings that hit FPS hard. 

This has got absolutely nothing to do with your GPU being a bottleneck. The 1080ti is still a beast and there is no reason it shouldn’t easily be able to cope with your settings in P3D.

• Upvote 1

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

1 hour ago, Speedbird 217 said:

That’s just completely wrong advice and doesn’t make any sense at all based on what has been stated here.

The OP says he’s using a single 4K display and looking at his settings they’re all pretty reasonable. None of this would overload a 1080ti to the point described here. 

I’m running a 4790k with a 1080ti and broadly similar settings to the OP. Main difference is I run some CPU heavy settings a notch lower as my CPU is not the best anymore. I never see more than 30-40% load on my GPU. Even with a newer CPU and the same settings as the OP that would not cause the FPS issues described unless he runs a triple+ screen 4K setup.

l have FPS locked at 30 and never go below that, not even in the London area in the FSL. I did have issues with v4.5 though, so went back to 4.4 client until the hotfix comes out.

There is clearly something else going on with ASP4 or EF/SF. I had issues a while back because I set cloud draw distance min and max to 150. Now have it at min 80 max 150 and no issues at all. 

I recommend reviewing your settings in ASP4, EF and SF. Cloud resolution could also have a huge impact, what are your settings for that? I’m running 512x512 DXT5, which is all you really need. If you had 4K at 32bit that may be an explanation. Can’t comment on EF/SF as I use ASCA and Envtex/Envshade, but it heard those REX products have a couple settings that hit FPS hard. 

This has got absolutely nothing to do with your GPU being a bottleneck. The 1080ti is still a beast and there is no reason it shouldn’t easily be able to cope with your settings in P3D.

If he have 98% usage he clerly  overload the GPU, the 1080Ti is easy to overload if you want , if its wrong or not ? we have no logs over the gpu

i have done tests with 1x1080t1 2x1080ti SLI 1x2080TI 2x2080TI same 4k settings and get what he describe with single 1080TI  but the other combos hold easy 30hz, 

512x512DXT5 not load the gpu as hard as 32bit ok what happen you load the gpu harder , has that anything to do with higer risk to bottlenecking GPU?

Edited by westman

4 hours ago, westman said:

If he have 98% usage he clerly  overload the GPU, the 1080Ti is easy to overload if you want , if its wrong or not ? we have no logs over the gpu

All that suggests is that something is causing his high load. The fact that he is ok running P3D without ASP4, EF and SF strongly indicates that the issue is caused by one of those rather than P3D, which in turn points to some sort of setting within any of those. None of this is normal, thousands of people are using these programs and they normally don't cut your FPS in half. In no way does that suggest that the GPU is a bottleneck but rather that something is not optimised or causing a conflict.

4 hours ago, westman said:

512x512DXT5 not load the gpu as hard as 32bit ok what happen you load the gpu harder , has that anything to do with higer risk to bottlenecking GPU?

Again, of course you can overload any GPU or CPU if you try hard enough. That is not the case here, however. His settings are reasonable and should not be causing these loads or issues. This is a problem with the configuration of an external tool like ASP4 or EF/SF or his Windows/system, not evidence that his 1080ti is not strong enough. The solution here is to identify what is causing the performance issue in the first place and fix that (i.e. pinpointing the specific setting and changing it), not throwing masses of cash after a new GPU so you simply hide the symptom while the problem still exists.

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

35 minutes ago, Speedbird 217 said:

All that suggests is that something is causing his high load. The fact that he is ok running P3D without ASP4, EF and SF strongly indicates that the issue is caused by one of those rather than P3D, which in turn points to some sort of setting within any of those. None of this is normal, thousands of people are using these programs and they normally don't cut your FPS in half. In no way does that suggest that the GPU is a bottleneck but rather that something is not optimised or causing a conflict.

Again, of course you can overload any GPU or CPU if you try hard enough. That is not the case here, however. His settings are reasonable and should not be causing these loads or issues. This is a problem with the configuration of an external tool like ASP4 or EF/SF or his Windows/system, not evidence that his 1080ti is not strong enough. The solution here is to identify what is causing the performance issue in the first place and fix that (i.e. pinpointing the specific setting and changing it), not throwing masses of cash after a new GPU so you simply hide the symptom while the problem still exists.

He is bottlenecking the GPU , what cause that is some setting in the Bold before he enable that he was not bottleneck the GPU, 

all good, CPU usage around 35-45% / GPU ~50% load, ~35 FPS. But as soon as I start up ActiveSky + SkyForce3D + EnvironmentForce and the weather is injected my GPU load goes straight up to 95%+ and my FPS drop to 12-15. 

11 hours ago, gspi1991 said:

Interesting - tried the QW 787 at FlyTampa EHAM and the FsLabs A320 at Flightbeam KSFO - all good, CPU usage around 35-45% / GPU ~50% load, ~35 FPS. But as soon as I start up ActiveSky + SkyForce3D + EnvironmentForce and the weather is injected my GPU load goes straight up to 95%+ and my FPS drop to 12-15. 

Try please ActiveSky in Clouds options - Max cloud layers at 4 instead 5 and if I remember correct adjust next lower  resolution on clouds settings for SkyForce3D + EnvironmentForce.

What I can guess here is that the cloud resolution is to high and that will kill the FPS. Also on P3D under WX visual settings you might want to change cloud distance to something like 60 NM,

and shadows distance on notch to the left from ULTRA.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

15 minutes ago, westman said:

He is bottlenecking the GPU , what cause that is some setting in the Bold before he enable that he was not bottleneck the GPU, 

all good, CPU usage around 35-45% / GPU ~50% load, ~35 FPS. But as soon as I start up ActiveSky + SkyForce3D + EnvironmentForce and the weather is injected my GPU load goes straight up to 95%+ and my FPS drop to 12-15. 

I know, that's what I have been saying. I have also been saying that this suggests a config issue with one of the programs in bold, something he can fix by reviewing and adjusting the settings because it's absolutely not normal that injecting weather increases your CPU load by 100% and halves your FPS.

You on the other hand suggested he should simply buy a new GPU, which does nothing to fix his problem (it may however hide the symptoms slightly) and is quite frankly bad and expensive advice.

• Upvote 1

Max

Again thank you guys for the input! 

In the meantime I did a downgrade to Client v4.4 (LM states that you can run content + scenery v4.5 with client v4.4 to get rid of the performance issues with v4.5). I gained a few FPS with this step (but I am still nowhere near where I was before). 

My ActiveSky settings are standard with two exeptions - Cloud layers = 3 and min. distance 65 / max. distance 110 (I am using this settings since v4 release)

My SkyForce3D settings are standard with 4k 32 Bit cirrus / 2k 32 Bit cumulus / 4k Moon textures. I know that SkyForce hits hard on frames when there is overcast in the sim but that was not a problem before (I run the same settings as before). Tried to lower the texture resolution to DXT5 and one or two steps down even to 1k resolution - I gain a few FPS (2-4) but thats it. 

Today I tried it with ASCA + AS + Envtex instead of the REX products. I started with 4k 32 Bit resolution clouds in Envtex and ASCA - gained 6 FPS compared to while using the REX products (same weather settings - heavy overcast, same place, same aircraft). After that I have reduced the resolution step by step. Minor performance gain but the look of my sim went down the road (remember I am used to 4K textures all the way and 2xSSAA compared to 8xMSAA now). 

Regarding the GPU limitations - during the Benchmarks I did yesterday HWInfo pointed out that my 1080Ti has reached the Pwr, Util and vRel limits. I use MSI Afterburner with +100% core voltage, 117% power limit, 90C temp. limit and +75Mhz core clock / +550Mhz Memory Clock. Never had problems regarding stability etc.

It is strange - I did that whole system reset only for the sake of a clean and fresh system and to get rid of all the changes in my P3D files made by all the addons over time (I tested a lot with different weather addons, shader addons, texture addons and wanted to make sure that everything is clean now).

One thing I changed during my system reset is that I now use Samsung Magician to keep an eye on my SSD's. I run my new 860 EVO (which is for flightsim stuff only) with the RAPID Mode enabled - thats basically the only hardware change I made and I don't know if it can cause issues?

Edit: And I made all the basic changes after the reset like in the Nvidia settings (max. power settings,..) - disabled the windows gaming stuff - excluded the all the folders in windows defender - run all programmes as admin and so on, just to make sure everything is good to go.

Edited by gspi1991

1 hour ago, gspi1991 said:

Again thank you guys for the input! 

In the meantime I did a downgrade to Client v4.4 (LM states that you can run content + scenery v4.5 with client v4.4 to get rid of the performance issues with v4.5). I gained a few FPS with this step (but I am still nowhere near where I was before). 

My ActiveSky settings are standard with two exeptions - Cloud layers = 3 and min. distance 65 / max. distance 110 (I am using this settings since v4 release)

My SkyForce3D settings are standard with 4k 32 Bit cirrus / 2k 32 Bit cumulus / 4k Moon textures. I know that SkyForce hits hard on frames when there is overcast in the sim but that was not a problem before (I run the same settings as before). Tried to lower the texture resolution to DXT5 and one or two steps down even to 1k resolution - I gain a few FPS (2-4) but thats it. 

Today I tried it with ASCA + AS + Envtex instead of the REX products. I started with 4k 32 Bit resolution clouds in Envtex and ASCA - gained 6 FPS compared to while using the REX products (same weather settings - heavy overcast, same place, same aircraft). After that I have reduced the resolution step by step. Minor performance gain but the look of my sim went down the road (remember I am used to 4K textures all the way and 2xSSAA compared to 8xMSAA now). 

Regarding the GPU limitations - during the Benchmarks I did yesterday HWInfo pointed out that my 1080Ti has reached the Pwr, Util and vRel limits. I use MSI Afterburner with +100% core voltage, 117% power limit, 90C temp. limit and +75Mhz core clock / +550Mhz Memory Clock. Never had problems regarding stability etc.

It is strange - I did that whole system reset only for the sake of a clean and fresh system and to get rid of all the changes in my P3D files made by all the addons over time (I tested a lot with different weather addons, shader addons, texture addons and wanted to make sure that everything is clean now).

One thing I changed during my system reset is that I now use Samsung Magician to keep an eye on my SSD's. I run my new 860 EVO (which is for flightsim stuff only) with the RAPID Mode enabled - thats basically the only hardware change I made and I don't know if it can cause issues?

Edit: And I made all the basic changes after the reset like in the Nvidia settings (max. power settings,..) - disabled the windows gaming stuff - excluded the all the folders in windows defender - run all programmes as admin and so on, just to make sure everything is good to go.

Did you test with EF before think it hit in 4k, i used AS +ASCA + PTA .

I have SkyForce3D and EF that i uninstalled, today a updated to SkyForce3D P3Dv4 installed EF , setup AS as yours , did a test at ESGG overcast shocked me 22-26fps with 2080TI and 5.5ghz 9900k 🙄

Had no problem to Hold 30hz in all conditions before , iam stunned closed AS clear weather 42-48 fps

Edited by westman

Finally 😎

I got my performance back. I did a complete re-install of all 3rd party apps. Uninstalled ASCA + AS + SF + EF + TS, used DDU to wipe my graphic drivers and installed a clean version of the newest NVIDIA drivers. 

Now I run SF + EF in 4K, AS with my settings and TS with R&D v1.8 -> back to normal FPS, finally no issues. GPU load down to 50-60%, CPU gets uitilized like it should. God that was annoying but I'm glad I figured it out. 

Thanks again for all the input and tipps! 

Edited by gspi1991

Very happy to hear that, now you can enjoy it.

All the best.

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090