Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Upgrading to I9 9900K for P3D

Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor    
Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler        
Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard    
Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Getting ready to buy these components to upgrade the system below. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Hey Bruce!  Is this for P3D v4 or XP11 or both?  I don't know how much of an upgrade it will be.  You already have a really strong system.  If you can get the 9900K to overclock pretty high (at least as high as you have your 4790K set to) then I think you'd see a difference.  Also I'd consider 32GB RAM.  Something like this set of GSkill: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c16q-32gtzb

That will work on your proposed board.

I think your GPU is still excellent....those RTX cards are a waste of money...  I guess if you're wealthy and money is no factor I'd get one.  But the 1080 ti is still a monster of a card.

also a quick edit...  It looks like while the 9900K is a great cpu for multi threaded apps...it's maybe only 20% better at single core stuff (like P3D and even XP11).  I understand that both of these sims use multiple threads but still Core 0, I believe, is still the most used Core.  My source is user benchmark....  If you do any video endocing etc etc I'd definitly go for the 9900K.  Otherwise you may be able to save a little cash and get the 9700K (OR find a microcenter and sometimes you can grab an older CPU like the 7700K or 8700K for pretty cheap!)

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

@ryanbatcund Hey Ryan!  Thanks for the inputs. I'm a little worried about not seeing much difference in P3D (I don't do XP11 yet), but I was thinking at least it would make scenery and autogen load more seamlessly inflight. I'm currently hitting 100% on most LP's pretty often. And now that I have SkyForce 3D I think loading 3D cloud model sets is gonna start bogging me down.

I'll definitely go with the 32GB GSkill set. And I'm keeping the GTX 1080Ti, it is a great GPU. I'm going to try to sell my current CPU / MB / Cooler / Mem to defray new expenses.

Thanks my friend!

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Hi Bruce.  I upgraded from a 4790K @4.8Ghz last fall and I've seen a very nice boost in performance, which I've converted to more eye candy in P3Dv4.  Kept the same video card.  I think you'll see a nice increase in performance with the 9900K (or a 9700K... either will get the job done for you).  The key will be getting the CPU to 5.0Ghz or faster.

I'm no HT hater (ran it without problems on my 4790K and 3770K before that) but I think you may not need to use HT with the 8 core CPU.  My 8086K 6 core performs just as well @ 5.3Ghz with HT off as with HT on... and of course is a few degrees cooler with HT off.

Look to get some G.Skill with Samsung B die modules... soon.  It's selling out fast, and it overclocks well.  Even if you don't overclock it, the Sammy B die memory almost always has tighter timings.  Good stuff that will soon be extinct.

HTH and good luck,

Greg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@lownslo Thanks Greg for the info on your experience and advice. The RAM I picked is Samsung B die it says. I wasn't sure about HT so I went with the 9900K just in case.

Edit to add: I've had to curtail RW flying until I get over a medical hurdle so I "transferred some budget" to the flight sim equipment. 😊

Edited by bbuckley

2 hours ago, bbuckley said:

@lownslo Thanks Greg for the info on your experience and advice. The RAM I picked is Samsung B die it says. I wasn't sure about HT so I went with the 9900K just in case.

Edit to add: I've had to curtail RW flying until I get over a medical hurdle so I "transferred some budget" to the flight sim equipment. 😊

Oh no!  Hope everything is ok!  I've been flying more myself actually.  Last week I literally flew in to work lol.  I'd post a pic but I'm on mobile

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Oh no!  Hope everything is ok!  I've been flying more myself actually.  Last week I literally flew in to work lol.  I'd post a pic but I'm on mobile

It'll all be good, thanks! That's an awesome commute.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

It'll all be good, thanks!

Good to hear!  And maybe a good time to build a new box of bits? :biggrin:  See here what westman wrote earlier today about cooling:

Post back once you've got it all built and let us know what you think.

Greg

@lownslo thanks Greg. Yeah I read through that topic. Little scary. I’ve never used water before... but the Corsair H100i seems to get good reviews and user experience. We’ll see...