Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Another Airline Crash

In Russia.  Aircraft burning as it is landing.  Most likely those in the rear of the aircraft were burned alive.  Sad.  May those who perished RIP.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia-moscow-aeroflot-plane-fire-sheremetyevo-airport

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What a horrible tragedy! Prayers offered for the victims and survivors, as well as their loved ones.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's absolutely amazing that they were able to get back to the airport and get the aircraft on the ground in one piece.

NAX669.png

That title needs to be chsnged. I'm sorry but it could be read in two very different ways. Lol

• Like 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

That title needs to be chsnged. I'm sorry but it could be read in two very different ways. Lol

Well, either way it is read is correct, IMNSHO... :laugh:

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It was sad to hear of this crash, Russian aviation has always been admirable, I was happy to read that some did survive this crash.  We sometimes get complacent when we go a while without crashes, and then they seem to come upon us suddenly.  Aviation in general worldwide has a good safety record which is amazing given the high number of parts in an aircraft, and the complexity of aircraft systems and engines.  I have flown as a passenger within days of major accidents, like the one in Tenerife, without worry about what would happen to me.  I have been on four aircraft that had near fatal issues, but they all survived their crisis with the passengers unharmed and either at their destination or in one instance, when our port engine blew on startup in Bozeman, at the origin.  I celebrate aviation and try to remember in accidents such as these, the pax and crew and ground crew involved have had lives worth remembering, and are always the true story of aviation.

John

Video shows the airline was not on fire until it landed hard. It porpoised and touched down very hard the second time and then erupted in flames. I wonder if the pilots were having serious control issues. A terrible tragedy.

Survivors are saying that the plane was struck by lightning - this is usually not an issue. Time will tell.

I quote from a BBC article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48171392

One passenger who survived the crash, Petr Egorov, was quoted by the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily newspaper as saying that the flight "had just taken off and the aircraft was hit by lightning", adding: "The landing was rough - I almost passed out from fear."

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

An unnamed source (?) is reported to claim debris found its way into one of the engines as a result of the extremely hard touch down and that engine caught on fire which set the rear section of the aircraft on fire.

A short-circuit in a cable causing an 'electrical' fire has also been suggested by aviation experts which could also account for the loss of communication devices.

Either way, that aircraft seemed almost out of control on landing, making control issues possible. The captain has been cited to have said the landing was at normal speed and "by the book". No mention of control issues from his side so far.

Early accounts. Let's see what the investigation finds.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Latest BBC News report states pilots are saying aircraft struck by lightning. That is more credible than from pax.

The strike caused loss of instruments and with an immediate return for landing it was clearly far too heavy. Hence the bounced landing and a spark will have ignited the fuel.

In all honesty for anyone to escape that is down to pilot skill. Must have been terrifying.

I agree that the title is confusing. Nothing horrible about Russian airline. 

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

In all honesty for anyone to escape that is down to pilot skill.

And some of the lives that had been given a chance to survive may have been lost due to passengers blocking the aisle during evacuation in order to retrieve their luggage, according to witnesses, cutting off the way for passengers in the back. Think about that. Underwear and laptop survived.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Good point about the factor of the aircraft being overweight for the landing.

Is it possible to correct the title of the thread? There is nothing horrible about the airline or the aircraft involved in this crash. The accident itself is of course horrible and tragic, my heart goes out to all involved....

3 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Before I saw your post, I was looking at the title and saw it read something like a "horrible airliner" crashes.  First time I ever made a grammatical error...  Thanks!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

They seem to be dropping out of the sky like candy from a busted piñata!  Not a good week for the aviation industry:blink:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fourteen-dead-after-private-jet-crashes-between-las-vegas-and-mexico/ar-AAAYVeZ?li=BBnb7Kz

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: