Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Another Airline Crash

Just heard many of the passengers were trying to get their overhead baggage and a major reason why many in the rear of the aircraft died.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

27 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Just heard many of the passengers were trying to get their overhead baggage and a major reason why many in the rear of the aircraft died.

Reminds me of something similar at a US airport a couple of years ago when an aircraft caught fire. Human nature.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

mate of mine works for Air Bridge Cargo / Volga  and constantly tells me horror stories about Russian Safety Standards and the russian way of doing things.

they regulary have to pull lumps of concrete out of their tires from the crappy runway in SVO, the aircraft all fly amount with fudged paperwork relating to DMIs , MELS and CRASS's they put them in for checks as little as possible, they are constantly getting hit by highloaders,tugs and cherry pickers and pretending it doesnt happen ,  and the crew dont really have a proper FTL or FRMS system, they call them whenever they want for whatever duty they want.

When he raises safety issues they either tell him to get another job or stop being RussianPhobic.  Heres desperate to leave  

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

I didn't want to add to this thread initially but since tooting raised the issue, the Sukhoi Superjet has been plagued with structural issues since its introduction. The company that designed it was also cited for hiring engineers with fake credentials.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/the-troubled-history-of-russias-sukhoi-superjet/news-story/52414ae381da16711fa2317a26703bad

That link is not behind a paywall like similar stories.

Maybe someone else can answer this. I always believed that commercial airliners were somewhat immune to lightning strikes. Apparently this is not the case. Second, was the aircraft carrying a full load of fuel? That probably didn't help the situation either due to both the weight and the fire risk.

9 hours ago, Jim Young said:

If you've ever been in a traffic jam on a Moscow highway, you've witnessed this mind set.  Last time I was there it seemed like about every 10th car on the road had a flashing blue light on it signifying either "this is an emergency vehicle" or "I'm someone special" (mostly the latter), and those vehicles were just as caught up in the jam as everyone else...nobody gave quarter to anyone else, except maybe at gunpoint. 

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I always believed that commercial airliners were somewhat immune to lightning strikes

They mostly are, which is why I don't particularly believe that version of events.

Having said that, this immunity depends on there being a low-resistance path for the current through the aircraft structure, the currents involved are enormous and it only takes a small resistance to create large electric fields and consequent problems.  This has been made harder with the advent of composite components, the composites themselves are normally made conducting but bonding to the remainder of the structure now becomes critical.  It's a problem that gets worse with age (not a factor in this case) but may also be the result of bad workmanship.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Reminds me of something similar at a US airport a couple of years ago when an aircraft caught fire. Human nature.

Yes, I thought of that BA 777 at Las Vegas that caught fire and pax could be seen wheeling their bags across the tarmac.

Ian S

38.jpg

10 hours ago, charliearon said:

They seem to be dropping out of the sky like candy from a busted piñata!  Not a good week for the aviation industry:blink:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fourteen-dead-after-private-jet-crashes-between-las-vegas-and-mexico/ar-AAAYVeZ?li=BBnb7Kz

The picture of the jet looks like it was parked and then set on fire. Looks like it was an attempt at a landing as the bits are still together

https://www.9news.com.au/world/news-world-thirteen-feared-dead-after-las-vegas-flight-crashes/3cb69100-5924-43dd-bb5c-956155e228e5

ZORAN

1 hour ago, lzamm said:

They mostly are, which is why I don't particularly believe that version of events.

Having said that, this immunity depends on there being a low-resistance path for the current through the aircraft structure, the currents involved are enormous and it only takes a small resistance to create large electric fields and consequent problems.  This has been made harder with the advent of composite components, the composites themselves are normally made conducting but bonding to the remainder of the structure now becomes critical.  It's a problem that gets worse with age (not a factor in this case) but may also be the result of bad workmanship.

ours get hit everyday at my airline its a ruse .  your never get a russian admitting their a/c is crappy

14ppkc-6.png

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Latest BBC News report states pilots are saying aircraft struck by lightning. That is more credible than from pax.

ray as i said to you before, the press will take anything as a given, they dont and wont check facts, they will do anything to get a headline out quick.  remember the drones at Gatwick

The pilot that quoted it could of been a 17 PPL holder thats good enough for them beacuse the general public dont know the difference between a 19 year old l3 ctc rich kid from a TRI with 3 LPCs and 40000 hours .

In our OCC we have a phone that is red in colour and its number its only given out to the press and a selective few pople.  We littery call it the "red phone",  alot of our diverts or issues at airports will hit twitter within seconds not minutes, and then that phone will go off some 3 minutes later , so when it rings we know its either the press oir one of the 2 PR companies we use. One PR company  is for twitter monitoring and facebook , the other is for any "incidents" whether that be a long delay or some more serious.

I was working on both our recent problem flights, the cruise charter with the illness and the 747 with gear issue that held and then came in some hours later.  Both times the press constantly put out incorrect info, and hastily put together statements,  with pictures of little red a320s .  And as normal their experts where not simon calder but some unqualifed spotter or flightsim simmer rhat has never made it into the airlines.

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

33 minutes ago, tooting said:

ray as i said to you before, the press will take anything as a given, they dont and wont check facts, they will do anything to get a headline out quick.  remember the drones at Gatwick

I'm pretty sure the BBC report was quoting from a Russian interview with the pilot. I saw a short piece of footage that showed the aircraft did not catch fire until the hard landing. The pilot reported all instruments were disabled by the lightning strike and they notified ATC via a separate backup system by sending a code which may have been 7600.

Everything else is speculation.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm pretty sure the BBC report was quoting from a Russian interview with the pilot. I saw a short piece of footage that showed the aircraft did not catch fire until the hard landing. The pilot reported all instruments were disabled by the lightning strike and they notified ATC via a separate backup system by sending a code which may have been 7600.

Everything else is speculation.

The ASI works on RAM air from the pitots so if not blocked its all they needed to land VFR.  Why it was such terrible landing is a mystery so far

ZORAN

36 minutes ago, zmak said:

The ASI works on RAM air from the pitots so if not blocked its all they needed to land VFR.  Why it was such terrible landing is a mystery so far

The reason for the heavy landing was the aircraft was full of fuel. I fail to understand why people with an interest in flight sim don't understand the basics. The aircraft was hit by lightning very soon after take-off and returned within minutes. It was far too heavy for a conventional landing so that's why it was a "terrible landing" to use your quote.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I hope everyone here knows we are an international Forum and we do have visitors and members from Russia.

Please don't use comments hurtful to the entire country and its' populace when discussing this tragedy.

Prayers for the lost souls, the injured, and the survivors in this tragic event.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals