Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Qualitywings 757 released for P3Dv4

Do we really need a call for higher quality.  We have serious simmers screaming for higher quality everything (just check the "what is PMDG's next project" thread if you don't believe me).  I think there is more than enough room for entry, mid and high end product ranges.  i personally go with the high end but on a good deal for a bit of fun I would  go for this.  I did the same thing with the BAE146 products that QW just released a few months ago.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

9 minutes ago, MarkW said:

We have serious simmers screaming for higher quality everything (just check the "what is PMDG's next project" thread if you don't believe me).  I think there is more than enough room for entry, mid and high end product ranges. 

Agreed.  They seem to forget there is a different audience that outnumbers them.

1 hour ago, Mace said:

For the price I would take a flyer on it (pun intended) just to see if I can use the ISG FMC with it.

I'm assuming the FMC it comes with only has very basic functions?

No need for ISG. Same functionality if I recall or slightly better more than likely.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Picked up it, for 15 bucks its a no brainer. I'll throw a review video up next week like I did with the Virtua Col A220

• Upvote 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Do we really need a call for higher quality.  We have serious simmers screaming for higher quality everything (just check the "what is PMDG's next project" thread if you don't believe me).  I think there is more than enough room for entry, mid and high end product ranges.  i personally go with the high end but on a good deal for a bit of fun I would  go for this.  I did the same thing with the BAE146 products that QW just released a few months ago.  

Absolutely!  Don’t get me wrong, I also think there is a market for low and medium quality planes as well, and those should be filled.  But why not offer a baseline plane, and then have upgrades available which incorporate more functionality for a price?

Frankly, I’m not interested in the CS 757, because I think their pricing scheme is atrocious - making me pay extra for a 200 freighter, 300, 300 freighter, etc., etc.  I don’t get any extra functionality for my investment, only a different skin, maybe some slightly different handling characteristics.

But, if QW offers their 757 with basic features for $15, full cockpit/FMC functionality for an extra $40, and failures for an extra $60, I’d have no problem paying those prices. That gives the consumer the option to go as deep as they want to.  If they later decide to go deeper, instead of having to rebuy an entire study level plane, they only have to pay the upgrade fee. Majestic did this with their Q400, but I can’t think of any other developer that has done it.

I think they've (QW) also been pretty clear that this is the end of the line w/r/t further development of this add-on.  So nobody should buy it with the idea that future development or expansion beyond the current "entry-level" product is on the table.

This is a bargain-priced 64-bit reincarnation of a well-known 32-bit FSX product...its virtues and limitations are well documented by now for anyone who bothers to look.  It's been declared "finished", so any discussion of potential new development and marketing strategies going forward seems somewhat pointless.

Regards

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

42 minutes ago, _Gladius_ said:

But why not offer a baseline plane, and then have upgrades available which incorporate more functionality for a price?

This strategy often does not work.  Most of  the product's sales are likely going to come from that initial release, be it mid or high detail.  If you do a mid-level baseline first release, it will take significantly more effort to add more functionality/complexity.  But the sales will probably not be as good for subsequent releases.  Your mid level customers won't see the need to upgrade, and many will pushback at paying an additional cost. So you could spend a lot of time and effort for only a small amount of additional sales.   Your better off just going ahead and doing the high detail/fidelity product as the initial release, take the longer dev time and charge the higher price the premium customers will gladly pay on the initial release. 

The reverse can be true as well. If your initial release is a premium or high detail product, because of the high level of integration/dependencies with the systems. It can be very difficult to then remove or uncouple or dumb down those highly integrated features for a lower detail product.  You could end up spending a lot of time and effort for a version that might get you some more unit sales. But because you have to price it significantly lower to attract those mid level users, the lower income you get for all that effort may not be worth it. You'd be better off doing the initial release at mid level or somewhere between mid and high level and just price accordingly.

This is more applicable to detailed addon aircraft, because of the long development times compared to other types of addons.  

• Upvote 3

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Is the FMC still the older FSX popup, or can you use it directly from the VC panel?

That was the only minor annoyance I had with this plane.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Ernie, thanks for the explanation. I guess that means I shouldn’t hold my breath for a more detailed QW 757.

2 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Is the FMC still the older FSX popup, or can you use it directly from the VC panel?

That was the only minor annoyance I had with this plane.

They added FMC funtionality in the VC thankfully! I watched a stream of it. They did not make the transponder clickable in the VC so to go to ta/ra and standby on the switch you have to pop up the 2d panel.

Great, thanks

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

If QW can port over the 757 I would have loved to have the Level-D ported over to v4. But we know how they are. 

• Upvote 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

24 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

If QW can port over the 757 I would have loved to have the Level-D ported over to v4.

+1

16 hours ago, w6kd said:

Looks like some kind of embedded zip utility (Ionic.zip) either didn't make it into the installer or onto your PC.

Thanks Bob.

I uninstalled and then re-installed the 757, and that seems to have cured the problem.

For some odd reason the installer failed to install "Ionic.Zip.DLL" in the QW livery manager folder on the first install.

8 hours ago, _Gladius_ said:

But why not offer a baseline plane, and then have upgrades available which incorporate more functionality for a price?

Just Flight did that with the L1011 and, I think, one or two other planes. You could get the basic version for one price, and then pay extra to upgrade it to the "professional" version. I think the price for both worked out to something like $60.

The problem with their approach is that the "pro" version wasn't pro at all. It was marginally more complex than the base version, but there were still a lot of non-functional switches and equipment in that upgraded cockpit. And interestingly, the flight engineer's panel in the pro version wasn't as complete as the one in the base version. Oops.

I think the idea is good but the execution needs to be on point for this to work. If you sell a "pro" version, especially when that version brings the price of the plane to within spitting distance of the Maddog, then it needs to be a lot closer to PMDG than Carenado.

• Like 1