Sign in to follow this  
moespeeds

Radar Vectors to ILS not working if it's not in your flight plan?

This happened to me twice, so I figured I'd report it. I took off VFR from Van Nuys KVNY and was just flying around looking at scenery. Flight plane was VFR, KVNY to KVNY letting P2ATC auto plan. I decided to head up to Santa Barbera and try the ILS approach. Asked for a clearance direct to KSBA and received it going north out over the ocean, west of SBA. Once switched to SBA approach I asked for radar vectors to the ILS 07. Was vectored towards the ILS and directed to descend to 3k. Once I intercepted the approach, I turned 076 and called established on approach. No response, then a few seconds later I was directed to turn left to 040. At 3k this flew me into a mountain about 10 miles inland, but I turned and climbed to 4k to clear the mountain. I asked again for radar vectors to the ILS, and was directed to stay on 040 at 3k, which would put me into the ground. I decided to cancel service and climb, so I called "cancel radar service" and the computer hard locked, a reboot was required.

Any ideas on what I might have done wrong here? To get radar vectors to the ILS, do I have to file a flight plan, or can it be done on the fly if I decide to try an ILS and divert from my established plan?

Overall, the experience I'm looking for here, is to depart from an airport, fly around however I'd like, then use pilot2atc to get me into the airport of my choice.

Moe

It sounds like an error may have occurred since you got vectors to final and then it went crazy.  Please email your log file for this flight to admin@pilot2atc.com and I'll have a look.  There are some bugs in the vectoring logic being fixed for the next update, but if you send the log, I can verify it's fixed.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply Dave, I've made multiple flights since this one, so 'm not sure if I could find this log? I will test it again this week, and send it over if it gets nutty. If I set a VFR flight plan, then decide to ask for radar vectors to an IFR at a completely different approach, will that mess things up?

Thank you again for the effort, this is an excellent program!

Moe

• Like 1