Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Any definitive info on ATC / AI?

Hi all...Just been searching through here in hopes of finding discussion about what changes might be expected regarding ATC and AI aircraft.I haven't found anything other than requests for improvements - has there been any official word?I know, I know. Wait for E3, right? :)thxAndrew

Guest grapesh

One major improvement kind of confirmed by tdragger here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...=6669&mode=fullis that AI planes can now fly flightplans instead of just great circles. If this holds, it's a major overhaul of ATC, as AI controllers now should be aware of hundreds of filed AI flightplans. I just hope they won't go on a strike once we replace default traffic with real world AI and real world FPs! :)

Guest tdragger

Hmm, that's a pretty liberal interpretation of my very few words. If I were you I might wait a bit before assuming too much about this.

Guest grapesh

Mike, as you mentioned in a referred thread, "I should be very happy in a few months". As I was primarily talking about FPs for AI, my moderately liberal interpretation is that we are going to have flightplans for AI. Or did you just cite a fortune cookie message? ;) Cheers,

Hi Mike,I always take the things you say with an appropriate level of expectation. I'm sure I won't be disappointed with FSX. Never, however, underestimate what the many developers out here can do with the tools you give us :)Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Just speculation here, but he might have been thinking about the possibility to add user waypoints to flightplans. Today we need to use nav aids or intersections (I think) but Mike has shown that we will be able to point-and-click anywhere on the map to add waypoints. I suppose one can achieve the same result now by editing the flightplan file with coordinates, but that

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

I'm just hoping there's a fix for the situations in which you continually get vectored 15 deg. this way, then 15 deg. that way, then back and forth indefinitely...I've cancelled flights because of this.Yes, improved ATC would be high on my list. I haven't played online, so I probably don't know what I'm missing, but I think it would vastly improve the immersion.Andrew

>I'm just hoping there's a fix for the situations in which you>continually get vectored 15 deg. this way, then 15 deg. that>way, then back and forth indefinitely...>>I've cancelled flights because of this.You get that behavior because ATC doesn't know the wind speed and direction you're encountering when they give you a vector to fly......so you're constantly drifting off track and they have to give you a new vector to correct the drift.If you'd simply apply the proper correction to the vector they provide so that your TRACK is along the vector, you won't have that behavior...That's YOUR responsibility as the pilot... :-halo

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest tcable

Last I checked, ATC instructs you to turn to a heading, not a track. In a C172, unless there is some real cash invested, there is no way to fly a track as opposed to a heading without navaid assistance. ATC issues headings with wind correction built in, UNLESS, you are lnav equipped, where they can expect you to fly a track. (or on an airway or radial) A vectored track is not easy to do.

OT: That is correct - when ATC assigns you a heading, they mean it. It is the controller's responsibility to compensate for wind, not the pilot's!Imagine a busy approach sector where all the planes were applying their own corrections, which could vary. The controller would never have positive control over the tracks of planes he is vectoring. That is why it is up to the controller to decide on how much correction to use, and that's included in the given vector.I'm talking about RW here of course, in FS the ATC might not be able to compensate for wind and you have to do it yourself to avoid zig-zagging.

>I'm talking about RW here of course, in FS the ATC might not>be able to compensate for wind and you have to do it yourself>to avoid zig-zagging.I think it should be obvious that I'm simply suggesting a method to apply in the sim to avoid the constant zig-zag course corrections.This is, after all, a FLIGHT SIM FORUM! :-bang

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator