Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

ORBX TrueEarth seasons?

Going to be a deal breaker for me. ORBX has done a truly remarkable job with scenery but this seems like a huge step back. 

• Upvote 2

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

JV is now a big XP11 fan surprising I know considering the past, but this tells you which way ORBX is going, now XP11 scenery ported to P3D.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

The TrueEarth scenery is certainly impressive, but the lack of seasons, small areas of coverage, and massive amount of required disk space just confirms my opinion that this is niche scenery.  Of course, the coverage area will increase over time, that is, if ORBX doesn't abandon this for something new in the future, but how many years before a continent-sized area is available?

I'm hopeful that shader tech can be developed to change the textures based on the time of year and weather, and it looks like this is starting to happen.

I've never really liked the landclass-based seasonal textures and abrupt changes based on the the month of the year, so this tech could also be used to improve landclass-based scenery.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I would not want my photoscenery to be any lower resolution than 1.2m per pixel. That is the resolution of my PlayHorizon VFR Photographic Scenery for England and Wales. I would have preferred the ORBx TrueEarth photoscenery to be 0.6m per pixel, but I appreciate that this would quadruple the hard drive space required.

Lack of multiple seasons has never bothered me. I only fly in Spring and Summer anyway (because I prefer plenty of daylight hours), but I appreciate that seasons matter to others.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yup as Orbx moves away from p3d I won’t buy a product that doesn’t use p3d’s full potential. It’s obviously possible as seen with TE NL.

Very sad as it probably means we won’t see a OpenLC Asia. Or another FTX product again.