Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift-S Review Thread

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Devons rig

Just pre-ordered mine. Yes, it is not the hottest thing out there, but I really like Oculus' Software and I think it will still play well on my Rig (I am using 1.6 PD on the current Rift).

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

https://www.destructoid.com/review-oculus-rift-s-552880.phtml

Product: Oculus Rift S
Manufacturer: Oculus
Input: One USB 3.0, one DisplayPort
MSRP: $399

As I crawled through the mire and muck of cables unplugging my last Oculus Rift headset, I was fairly amazed at the simplicity of the S: two cables. Yep, two cables with no sensors. And hot word not allowed was it mucky! I had a 20-foot extender cable wrapped around a giant serpent of wires that took me 30 minutes to clear out.

Given that I've had a VR headset plugged into my PC 24/7 for the past three years, this makes things a lot easier. Previously, my setup involved three sensor stands (two works but three was optimal) all taking up USB slots, a USB slot for the old Rift, and an HDMI slot. Now, you just need one DisplayPort and one USB 3.0. Witnessing better-looking VR with a painless setup (less painful than anything I've ever used before, including the PSVR) was a joy. As always, it pays to wait if you're on the fence. Out of the box, it took me around 15 minutes to get into VR, and I can't stress enough how pretty much anyone, even those who aren't tech savvy, can plug in those two cables, update the firmware, and be on their way.

Okay let's get technical. The Rift S sports upgraded (Fresnel) lenses, which reduce the age-old screen-door effect and god rays: in my experience, that has been an accurate claim. It sports five tracking sensors on the actual headset, which work wonderfully (especially in tandem with the "Guardian" system, which allows you to draw a line where your play space is, to warn you when you're going to run into a wall) now that they're baked-in.

There's also a new headband (which Oculus claims is "more comfortable" but is roughly the same on my end, even with the PSVR-esque halo design), and positional audio. As a sidebar I actually do miss the baked-in headphones of the original Rift as they were louder, thus blocking out more outside sound, but you can use your own tech with the S with a standard 3.5mm jack. The S is 563 grams (a fancy way of saying 1.2 pounds), packs a resolution of 2560x1440 with an 80hz refresh rate (down from 90), and a cable length of five meters (16 feet). Here are your takeaways: performance-wise everything looks a little better and it's self-sufficient once it's tethered to your gaming PC. Now let's unpack all that and see if it's worth 400 bucks.

As I hinted at earlier, setup is a dream, which spills over to a general sense of easier day-to-day use. Two wires are less of a chore to move around, unplug, and manage, especially if you need to use your singular DisplayPort input for something else (I tested both direct DP and a DP to HDMI converter connection for this review, which worked, but Oculus warns that they are not officially supported). For the past several years I dreaded having to move the Rift anywhere but now that fear is gone: next stop, tethers. During my tests I didn't have any major issues with the sensors – they work just as well as the pedestal sensors, if not better, as you don't need a finicky third unit behind you to get better room-scale support. Passthrough tech allows you to view the room around you (for easier setup and re-calibration) like the Vive did. Don't kick the cat!

It also ships with the new Oculus Touch remotes. Take a look at the image above: the new one is on the left (you can easily tell because the analog stick is on the inside) and the old model is on the right. It's hard to get used to, especially given that the original Touches slowly became my favorite current controller, but the finger sensors (which allow you to point, or close your entire fist for certain interacts) feel more responsive and the Touch still rocks.

As for how games look, think of the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X versus the premiere iterations of those consoles: it's "more than marginal" but not a generational leap. How much that's worth is up to you. To date, a lot of the killer apps (like Beat Saber) are not graphically intensive, and brighter hues probably aren't going to make you race to drop $400 on the Rift S. But so-called "AAA" VR titles like Robo Recall (one of my "must-plays") do look new and improved, as does Rez Infinite and several other heavy-hitters. It's either an enthusiast upgrade (the same folks who buy the new iteration of a console) or a perfect new way to slide into the Rift (after all, the original units are going, going, already gone, so this is the flagship SKU from today on).

And that really sums up the Rift S, because I spoke at length about the joyous shock of experiencing modern VR when 1.0 hit and how it was worth getting one then. If you already bought into Oculus with the Rift, you probably don't need to run out and get the S. In fact, while just as impressive fundamentally as the original was, it's still a tethered headset, so it isn't going to change a lot of people's minds if that's a dealbreaker.

For everyone else, now is still a fine time to jump into VR with Oculus.

Devons rig

Devons rig

That last one was enough for me to pre-order a Rift S. That's from a happy CV1 Rift owner....

• Like 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I was getting ready to go for the S but.....Those speakers! My Rift speakers/headphones are fine but I'm not sure my missus would appreciate airplane noises and expletives coming from my Teamspeak buddies infringing on her airspace. If they introduce Rift style headphones at some stage I'd go for it. 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I have always prefered to use my desktop speaker system when using the Rift. For that reason, I have even removed the built-in headphones from the CV1 HMD.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

20 hours ago, MarkJHarris said:

That last one was enough for me to pre-order a Rift S. That's from a happy CV1 Rift owner....

This and what the DCS senior producer said about Oculus rift S

"However, compared to the Rift, I’m seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I’m very impressed with the DCS World experience in the Rift S."

...just a few more days,,,

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

HieDZa.jpg

Devons rig

Wow...I was not expecting it to be so much better than the Vive Pro/Odyssey.

• Upvote 1

The resolution of the Rift S may have been disappointing to some on paper, but these videos seem to show that the S is clearly the superior HMD. 

rather like to see the cv1 compared to cv2 to see if worth upgrading and how p3d compares.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Well, I had the Odyssey and the Rift and the difference between both was already significant. Therefore, this new comparison says a lot to me!