Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift-S Review Thread

I am right before getting into VR, i dont know if to choose HP reverb or the Rift S,

what you guys think?

my main use is P3D, airliners jets like pmdg, need acceptable gauge reading ..

Thanks.

Theoretically my Oculus S is supposed to arrive tomorrow, though I don't believe that, because the Postal service in my area is run by pregnant turtles on heavy sleep meds.

When it does actually arrive, I will definitely give my personal impressions,

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I just got word from amazon UK the rift s is on back order. I was supposed to get mine today but now have to wait a week. 

Also had a similar problem with Amazon DE. Just went to Saturn and picked up one.

First impressions: a significant improvement when compared to the Rift! Text is considerably sharper.

The lack of external sensors is also a huge plus.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Theoretically my Oculus S is supposed to arrive tomorrow, though I don't believe that, because the Postal service in my area is run by pregnant turtles on heavy sleep meds.

When it does actually arrive, I will definitely give my personal impressions,

cant wait for it 

1 minute ago, lidorx7 said:

can i ask why you guys went with Rift S rather then the reverb?

I already have multiple games in the Oculus ecosystem and I really like the software behind it.

I´ve tried WMR for some time and was not that impressed as I had multiple sound issues coming in and out of VR in P3D/XP.

Besides, I believe the Rift S is a perfect match for my not-so-powerful-anymore Rig.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

lol xDD

Mine`s arriving tomorrow but I´m off town for work. I hope they call me to arrange a new place for delivery.

I´m pretty happy with the S reviews so far.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

This is how I have to look at it. First I am using VR only for simming. XP11 (native), P3Dv4(FlyInside) and AFS2(native). So whatever headset I get to replace my Rift CV1 will need to be able to work with those simmings/support software.

Next is audio since I fly on PilotEdge. I want headphones or speakers close to the ear. I understand some VR headsets dont have audio as part of their products. Same goes for the mic. I dont want to replace my Rift that has both headphones and a built in mic with having to try and add those to a VR headset that doesnt. So far the Rift S is still in the running as a possible replacement headset.

Next of importance is clarity. The removal of the screen door effect and god rays are the things I feel would be the most important feature beyond if the unit will work with my sims.

FOV is the wild card. Yes I would love to have the Pimax FOV range for all VR headsets but if the above items arent met then FOV can take a back seat for now.

Lastly are some of the newer features as options. Pass through cameras or flip up headset as seen on the coming Vive Cosmos would be a great feature to have for using checklist and scanning my simpit. I dont need hand controllers (yet) but do like the ones that strap to your hand allowing you to not have to hold them all the time over those without straps. Inside out tracking vs lighthouses or IR trackers, I dont care as either will work for me. My only worry about the inside out and setting up the room is must the user set up a rooms dimensions to use the Oculus S or can they just jump in and get at it. My simpit is very tight so my "room" is about 1 foot to 1.5 squared for me to move my head around. So I dont need to create a room as I am basically just sitting still.

Lastly is the OLED vs LCD. I do like the dark darks that come with the OLED. If the headset I get next is OLED then great but if its LCD and the other items are there then its not a deal breaker for me.

I'm happy to see VR in 2019 is finally seeing some advancements, huge in some areas and better refinements in others but I'm going to sit on the sidelines a bit longer before going with a new headset to see what the masses take to and which ones get supported for my sims. Its just nice to know there are a few more better options out there with more in the works. 

I'm running a 6700k @ 4.2 GHZ with a GTX1070ti. I don't run with sliders way to the right in P3D. Am I going to have to turn my visuals down even more to get acceptable performance? I'd like to jump on the Rift S because I'd also use it with DCS but I don't want to make the investment if performance is going to be an issue.

NAX669.png

Got my Rift S today from Amazon. Despite the lukewarm reviews and the minor upgrades in specs, Matt Wagner's commentary on its clarity in DCS made me order it from Amazon (where I could return it easily if not impressed).

I'm *not* returning it. Spent the evening flying flight sims in it and it's clearly a worthwhile upgrade for sim fans. You would think it had much higher resolution than the CV1, given the additional clarify. Screen door is just *gone*. (At least, for my eyes.)

Sims:

* Prepar3D v4.51 probably sees the most significant improvement, with instruments just dramatically easier to read. Everything looks sharper as well.

* Matt Wagner wasn't kidding about DCS. The view from the F-86 Sabre cockpit was just amazingly sharp.

* IL-2 Battle of Moscow/Bodenplatte/etc is by far the best looking of them all. With no screen door effect and the efficient VR engine, the visuals are just stunning. Flew the P-47D around and was blown away.

* Also tried FlyInside Flight Simulator, and while that one's in very early access, it worked and looked great.

I haven't tried X-Plane 11 or AeroFly FS2 yet, but I have no doubt they'll be awesome given all the other sims.

Quick game of Beat Sabre showed the controller tracking to be as good in that game as with the three sensors around the room -- never lost tracking.

Random notes:

* 80Hz vs 90Hz isn't noticeable

* The internal tracking on the controllers works well

* I was thinking I’d need to use headphones since they dropped the earphones for speakers near your ear. But the audio is surprisingly clear from these, and it’s nice to be able to hear sounds in the room if someone comes in. This was maybe the biggest pleasant surprise. I wouldn’t use them for music (no bass) or watching movies, but it’s fine for flight sims.

* Soooo much easier to set up without all the tracking stations

* You now define the room by laser-drawing the border with the controllers instead of having to walk around in view of cameras, much easier

* Even with three cameras, the original Rift would sometimes lose track of tracking and I'd find my head sticking out the top of a cockpit, down by the rudder pedals, or on a wing, and have to re-set the VR view. Didn't happen once with the Rift S.

* Unlike some reviewers, I actually like the new headband better than the original Rift’s.

* My one negative so far? There isn’t the big gap around your nose that I used to peek down through to view the keyboard when playing sims. I’ve had to lift the headset a few times to find a key.

If you're playing action-based VR games, games with cartoony graphics, or really anything outside of vehicle simulations, I'm not sure the improvements in the Rift S would justify an upgrade from the original Oculus Rift CV1. But for flight sims, the Rift S awesome and I have zero regrets on the money spent.

I had an HP Reverb on order as well, thinking the increased resolution would be a big benefit in sims. But I just cancelled that order, because the Rift S is so sharp I'm quite satisfied, and the Oculus solution is going to have much better frame rates than the Reverb's higher resolution will afford.

I don't know what the cancelled "Rift 2" was going to be, but the S might as well stand for "Sim edition" and it's a nice upgrade for my usage scenario.

Edited by DennyA
  • Like 4

DennyA
Fake planes flown: MSFS / P3D v4.x / FSX / X-Plane 11 / Aerofly FS2 / IL-2 / DCS / FlightSafety 737-200 full-motion (Aloha 243 cockpit) / a zillion old sims
Real planes flown: Mooney 231, Cessna 310, F-15D (back seat), T-34B (front seat) 

Ancient computer magazines I wrote about flight sims for: Computer Gaming World, Computer Games/Strategy+, Compute!, AmigaWorld
Rig: Core i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32GB, HP Reverb G2, Winwing HOTAS and Turtle Beach pedals

thanks for the flight simmer's review of cv2.  how's the fov looking?  about the same?  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

The FOV is slightly wider than the original Rift's, but I didn't notice much of a difference.

DennyA
Fake planes flown: MSFS / P3D v4.x / FSX / X-Plane 11 / Aerofly FS2 / IL-2 / DCS / FlightSafety 737-200 full-motion (Aloha 243 cockpit) / a zillion old sims
Real planes flown: Mooney 231, Cessna 310, F-15D (back seat), T-34B (front seat) 

Ancient computer magazines I wrote about flight sims for: Computer Gaming World, Computer Games/Strategy+, Compute!, AmigaWorld
Rig: Core i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32GB, HP Reverb G2, Winwing HOTAS and Turtle Beach pedals

54 minutes ago, DennyA said:

Got my Rift S today from Amazon. Despite the lukewarm reviews and the minor upgrades in specs, Matt Wagner's commentary on its clarity in DCS made me order it from Amazon (where I could return it easily if not impressed).

I'm *not* returning it. Spent the evening flying flight sims in it and it's clearly a worthwhile upgrade for sim fans. You would think it had much higher resolution than the CV1, given the additional clarify. Screen door is just *gone*. (At least, for my eyes.)

Sims:

* Prepar3D v4.51 probably sees the most significant improvement, with instruments just dramatically easier to read. Everything looks sharper as well.

* Matt Wagner wasn't kidding about DCS. The view from the F-86 Sabre cockpit was just amazingly sharp.

* IL-2 Battle of Moscow/Bodenplatte/etc is by far the best looking of them all. With no screen door effect and the efficient VR engine, the visuals are just stunning. Flew the P-47D around and was blown away.

* Also tried FlyInside Flight Simulator, and while that one's in very early access, it worked and looked great.

I haven't tried X-Plane 11 or AeroFly FS2 yet, but I have no doubt they'll be awesome given all the other sims.

Quick game of Beat Sabre showed the controller tracking to be as good in that game as with the three sensors around the room -- never lost tracking.

Random notes:

* 80Hz vs 90Hz isn't noticeable

* The internal tracking on the controllers works well

* I was thinking I’d need to use headphones since they dropped the earphones for speakers near your ear. But the audio is surprisingly clear from these, and it’s nice to be able to hear sounds in the room if someone comes in. This was maybe the biggest pleasant surprise. I wouldn’t use them for music (no bass) or watching movies, but it’s fine for flight sims.

* Soooo much easier to set up without all the tracking stations

* You now define the room by laser-drawing the border with the controllers instead of having to walk around in view of cameras, much easier

* Even with three cameras, the original Rift would sometimes lose track of tracking and I'd find my head sticking out the top of a cockpit, down by the rudder pedals, or on a wing, and have to re-set the VR view. Didn't happen once with the Rift S.

* Unlike some reviewers, I actually like the new headband better than the original Rift’s.

* My one negative so far? There isn’t the big gap around your nose that I used to peek down through to view the keyboard when playing sims. I’ve had to lift the headset a few times to find a key.

If you're playing action-based VR games, games with cartoony graphics, or really anything outside of vehicle simulations, I'm not sure the improvements in the Rift S would justify an upgrade from the original Oculus Rift CV1. But for flight sims, the Rift S awesome and I have zero regrets on the money spent.

I had an HP Reverb on order as well, thinking the increased resolution would be a big benefit in sims. But I just cancelled that order, because the Rift S is so sharp I'm quite satisfied, and the Oculus solution is going to have much better frame rates than the Reverb's higher resolution will afford.

I don't know what the cancelled "Rift 2" was going to be, but the S might as well stand for "Sim edition" and it's a nice upgrade for my usage scenario.

Denny,

Thanks for your sharing! Did you use Oculus Tray Tool? If yes, would you mind to share your settings regarding ASW On/OFF and 1.0 or 1.5 or X? And did you use Oculus Software Beta or without Beta? What about the "Black" Colour at night flying. Do you have any feedback/opinions on that? I will get my Rift S today coming from my Oddyssey +. Decided to buy because of the feedback regarding the sharpness and almost gone SDE. So good news from you! Happy flying! Regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Marcus,

Yes, I'm using Oculus Tray Tool. Had the supersampling set to 1.5 and ASW on. Using the non-beta Oculus software.

Honestly, the night flying looked fine. No different from playing on a monitor -- blacks may not be as black as with OLED, but I didn't see a noticeable difference.

I had some other questions from folks when I posted a version of this impression on QuartertoThree.com, so I added those answers to the post and posted it on my dusty old blog. Link is here: http://www.datkin.net/oculus-rift-s-quick-hands-on/

DennyA