Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift-S Review Thread

Getting mine tomorrow. I'm so excited. I demoed xplane VR with an odyssey+ and it was rather blurry to me (had my glasses on even). I did notice the 'sweet spot' everyone is talking about and it was small in the odyssey. This post and a few others I read helped me make up my mind about the Rift S, so I thank you all for that. I did have issues attempting to get P3D VR working though. It kept placing me outside of the plane for some reason. Also,  for those that may be interested, the video that sold me on it was this one:

Got mine today. Quick and simple review that might help others. I had to setup the controllers in order to finish the setup. I've never owned the CV1 controllers since it came with a small flop controller. That all was a non issue with all the sims I tested. I tried XP11 11.34 native VR, P3Dv4.4 with FlyInside and AeroflyFS2 using Oculus VR. My biggest wow sim was P3D where I noticed a nice difference. AFS2 , you just forget how smooth a sim can be until you fly AFS2 and really see it.

XP11 was a bit different. The issue wasnt VR or the Rift but I realized that in the default C172 the seat is way back. Like where it would be when you get in the plane before you slide up to get close to the controls. So things still seems not as easy to read compared to the A2A V35 in P3D. However, switching to the C210 in XP11 and it was much more noticeable that the distance was correct.

All in all the Rift S is a great starting point over the CV1. This is what I had hoped VR would of looked like 3 years ago. Plenty of room for improvements but the lack of the screen door effect, the sharper and more vivid colors are a nice starting point knowing the challenges of VR. Im happy I upgraded even if the changes were small, they were noticeable and benefiting.

i have had an issue with the thick fog/haze effect there is in p3d and xplane 11 at night.

But was able to mitigate the problem somewhat by using HDR and turning the brightness and saturation way up and the bloom completely down.

I hope someone can come up with a way to get rid of that haze effect during night flights.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

Just got done testing a night flight in XP11 and yeah the haze is there. If the LCD not great blacks is the trade off for the benefits over the CV1 then I will take it but hopefully it can be lessened via a software update or plugin/addon.

Got mine today. Having difficulty with image (text) clarity with PMDG. Text seems blurry and hard to read. I installed the tray tool, not sure how to use it. For those that have made positive comments about PMDG, any suggestions? Is anyone else having issues with blurriness?

1 hour ago, nisx said:

Got mine today. Having difficulty with image (text) clarity with PMDG. Text seems blurry and hard to read. I installed the tray tool, not sure how to use it. For those that have made positive comments about PMDG, any suggestions? Is anyone else having issues with blurriness?

I don't do PMDG-thingies, but I guess it would be the same when dialing in any visuals, IE, return all settings to default and then work your way up, finding what affects what.

As for the tray tool, this is discussing an older version, but the basics are the same:

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 hours ago, nisx said:

You have to use the Oculus tray tool to supersample. No supersampling the text will be slightly blurry, although considerably better than the old Rift. I've found that using 1.2 is enough to read the text on the displays in a PMDG plane. Higher is better but there are diminishing returns and a performance hit. 

Be reasonable with your P3D settings - you will have to lower them in VR vs 2D screen but it won't matter. It will be awesome anyway. 

Key principles are to limit detail drawn in the distance, no HD textures (I use max 1024), limit the amount of autogen (I actually think normal also looks the best in VR) and traffic and use unlimited frames. No Vsync and triple buffering. I also turn everything I can't see from the VC off, ignoring external views since I don't use them. 

Edited by andreh
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 5:17 AM, DennyA said:

he native VR has gotten quite good

Got mine today and....Welcome back P3D! What an improvement! I actually spent an hour mooching around Redding, Oregon this evening. It's been a loooong time. One piece of duff gen going round, as far as I'm concerned, is that you can wear glasses under an S. Well maybe you can, but not for long. Fortunately my VROptician inserts won't be long. :biggrin:

My jury is still out as far as the sound goes. Does one put up with the crappy sound or the constant faffing with headphones? At the moment I'm going with the crappy sounds but that could change.

Overall, chuffed with my decision. 

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

13 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

My jury is still out as far as the sound goes. Does one put up with the crappy sound or the constant faffing with headphones? At the moment I'm going with the crappy sounds but that could change.

I just plug in a pair of in-ear headphones into the 3.5mm jack on the side of the Rift - problem solved, easy as pie. Not bothersome at all.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 5/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, andreh said:

I just plug in a pair of in-ear headphones into the 3.5mm jack on the side of the Rift - problem solved, easy as pie. Not bothersome at all.

What do you do for the mic? Does the same jack handle headphones that have there own mic. Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, glider1 said:

What do you do for the mic? Does the same jack handle headphones that have there own mic. Thanks in advance.

Haven't checked but I believe it's separate. Plugging in headphones won't affect the mike, is my guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andreh said:

Haven't checked but I believe it's separate. Plugging in headphones won't affect the mike, is my guess.

Correct. In fact, the mic is the one part of the audio they got right. 👍

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

If your wireless card supports bluetooth, a pair good wireless in-ear buds might be the best and easiest solution to the sound issue of the Rift S (no problems fitting and no rim that goes over your head making it messy when you need to take the HMD off). I use a pair of wired in-ear buds myself, but may go wireless at some point.

• Like 1