Posted (edited)

Got my Rift S today from Amazon. Despite the lukewarm reviews and the minor upgrades in specs, Matt Wagner's commentary on its clarity in DCS made me order it from Amazon (where I could return it easily if not impressed).

I'm *not* returning it. Spent the evening flying flight sims in it and it's clearly a worthwhile upgrade for sim fans. You would think it had much higher resolution than the CV1, given the additional clarify. Screen door is just *gone*. (At least, for my eyes.)

Sims:

* Prepar3D v4.51 probably sees the most significant improvement, with instruments just dramatically easier to read. Everything looks sharper as well.

* Matt Wagner wasn't kidding about DCS. The view from the F-86 Sabre cockpit was just amazingly sharp.

* IL-2 Battle of Moscow/Bodenplatte/etc is by far the best looking of them all. With no screen door effect and the efficient VR engine, the visuals are just stunning. Flew the P-47D around and was blown away.

* Also tried FlyInside Flight Simulator, and while that one's in very early access, it worked and looked great.

I haven't tried X-Plane 11 or AeroFly FS2 yet, but I have no doubt they'll be awesome given all the other sims.

Quick game of Beat Sabre showed the controller tracking to be as good in that game as with the three sensors around the room -- never lost tracking.

Random notes:

* 80Hz vs 90Hz isn't noticeable

* The internal tracking on the controllers works well

* I was thinking I’d need to use headphones since they dropped the earphones for speakers near your ear. But the audio is surprisingly clear from these, and it’s nice to be able to hear sounds in the room if someone comes in. This was maybe the biggest pleasant surprise. I wouldn’t use them for music (no bass) or watching movies, but it’s fine for flight sims.

* Soooo much easier to set up without all the tracking stations

* You now define the room by laser-drawing the border with the controllers instead of having to walk around in view of cameras, much easier

* Even with three cameras, the original Rift would sometimes lose track of tracking and I'd find my head sticking out the top of a cockpit, down by the rudder pedals, or on a wing, and have to re-set the VR view. Didn't happen once with the Rift S.

* Unlike some reviewers, I actually like the new headband better than the original Rift’s.

* My one negative so far? There isn’t the big gap around your nose that I used to peek down through to view the keyboard when playing sims. I’ve had to lift the headset a few times to find a key.

If you're playing action-based VR games, games with cartoony graphics, or really anything outside of vehicle simulations, I'm not sure the improvements in the Rift S would justify an upgrade from the original Oculus Rift CV1. But for flight sims, the Rift S awesome and I have zero regrets on the money spent.

I had an HP Reverb on order as well, thinking the increased resolution would be a big benefit in sims. But I just cancelled that order, because the Rift S is so sharp I'm quite satisfied, and the Oculus solution is going to have much better frame rates than the Reverb's higher resolution will afford.

I don't know what the cancelled "Rift 2" was going to be, but the S might as well stand for "Sim edition" and it's a nice upgrade for my usage scenario.

Edited by DennyA
  • Like 4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

thanks for the flight simmer's review of cv2.  how's the fov looking?  about the same?  

The FOV is slightly wider than the original Rift's, but I didn't notice much of a difference.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, DennyA said:

Got my Rift S today from Amazon. Despite the lukewarm reviews and the minor upgrades in specs, Matt Wagner's commentary on its clarity in DCS made me order it from Amazon (where I could return it easily if not impressed).

I'm *not* returning it. Spent the evening flying flight sims in it and it's clearly a worthwhile upgrade for sim fans. You would think it had much higher resolution than the CV1, given the additional clarify. Screen door is just *gone*. (At least, for my eyes.)

Sims:

* Prepar3D v4.51 probably sees the most significant improvement, with instruments just dramatically easier to read. Everything looks sharper as well.

* Matt Wagner wasn't kidding about DCS. The view from the F-86 Sabre cockpit was just amazingly sharp.

* IL-2 Battle of Moscow/Bodenplatte/etc is by far the best looking of them all. With no screen door effect and the efficient VR engine, the visuals are just stunning. Flew the P-47D around and was blown away.

* Also tried FlyInside Flight Simulator, and while that one's in very early access, it worked and looked great.

I haven't tried X-Plane 11 or AeroFly FS2 yet, but I have no doubt they'll be awesome given all the other sims.

Quick game of Beat Sabre showed the controller tracking to be as good in that game as with the three sensors around the room -- never lost tracking.

Random notes:

* 80Hz vs 90Hz isn't noticeable

* The internal tracking on the controllers works well

* I was thinking I’d need to use headphones since they dropped the earphones for speakers near your ear. But the audio is surprisingly clear from these, and it’s nice to be able to hear sounds in the room if someone comes in. This was maybe the biggest pleasant surprise. I wouldn’t use them for music (no bass) or watching movies, but it’s fine for flight sims.

* Soooo much easier to set up without all the tracking stations

* You now define the room by laser-drawing the border with the controllers instead of having to walk around in view of cameras, much easier

* Even with three cameras, the original Rift would sometimes lose track of tracking and I'd find my head sticking out the top of a cockpit, down by the rudder pedals, or on a wing, and have to re-set the VR view. Didn't happen once with the Rift S.

* Unlike some reviewers, I actually like the new headband better than the original Rift’s.

* My one negative so far? There isn’t the big gap around your nose that I used to peek down through to view the keyboard when playing sims. I’ve had to lift the headset a few times to find a key.

If you're playing action-based VR games, games with cartoony graphics, or really anything outside of vehicle simulations, I'm not sure the improvements in the Rift S would justify an upgrade from the original Oculus Rift CV1. But for flight sims, the Rift S awesome and I have zero regrets on the money spent.

I had an HP Reverb on order as well, thinking the increased resolution would be a big benefit in sims. But I just cancelled that order, because the Rift S is so sharp I'm quite satisfied, and the Oculus solution is going to have much better frame rates than the Reverb's higher resolution will afford.

I don't know what the cancelled "Rift 2" was going to be, but the S might as well stand for "Sim edition" and it's a nice upgrade for my usage scenario.

Denny,

Thanks for your sharing! Did you use Oculus Tray Tool? If yes, would you mind to share your settings regarding ASW On/OFF and 1.0 or 1.5 or X? And did you use Oculus Software Beta or without Beta? What about the "Black" Colour at night flying. Do you have any feedback/opinions on that? I will get my Rift S today coming from my Oddyssey +. Decided to buy because of the feedback regarding the sharpness and almost gone SDE. So good news from you! Happy flying! Regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Hi Marcus,

Yes, I'm using Oculus Tray Tool. Had the supersampling set to 1.5 and ASW on. Using the non-beta Oculus software.

Honestly, the night flying looked fine. No different from playing on a monitor -- blacks may not be as black as with OLED, but I didn't see a noticeable difference.

I had some other questions from folks when I posted a version of this impression on QuartertoThree.com, so I added those answers to the post and posted it on my dusty old blog. Link is here: http://www.datkin.net/oculus-rift-s-quick-hands-on/

1 hour ago, DennyA said:

Thanks Denny!

Remove that veil that turned P3D and all sims in a neverending cloudy day (due to SDE) was one of my priorities. I remember to be in Athens with P3D in mid-summer, thinking that looked like it was going to rain despite there were no clouds.

I´m happy to hear that is gone.

Cheers

Carlos

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mwilk said:

I'm running a 6700k @ 4.2 GHZ with a GTX1070ti. I don't run with sliders way to the right in P3D. Am I going to have to turn my visuals down even more to get acceptable performance? I'd like to jump on the Rift S because I'd also use it with DCS but I don't want to make the investment if performance is going to be an issue.

Similar system to mine and I'm quite happy with the visuals and performance I can get with the original Rift and PMDG birds. They are lower than on 2D screen, especially with detail in the distance, but never the less perfectly acceptable. You can't see 200nm out in real life anyway.

I've adapted my settings to look good from the VC only, ignoring external views. Anything you can't see from the VC is turned off. That saves some processing power. Alot of the demand for super clear details in the distance I think stems from people using external views, zooming out and then expect to see waving blades of grass and mooing cows on the fields 200nm miles away.

The major performance draw is still autogen buildings, but in some areas I can have it at Dense and High draw distance. Sometimes I have to lower it (e.g., over London etc.) Normal is acceptable all around with p3d v4.5

Likewise, I have Scenery draw distance at medium which looks perfectly OK in VR and most of everything else one or two steps from max. ActiveSky is set to 75nm visibility and cloud draw distance the same.

Point is, the loss of some quality is absolutely worth it for the VR experience.

Edited by andreh
  • Like 2

SETUP

Setup was very simple, following the onscreen prompts, and anyone who has set up a Rift previously wil find themselves up and running in probably 15 minutes. Of note is the much appreciated passthrough system and the accompanying ease of setting up the guardian boundary system

IPD

A worry among some in the community, including myself was regarding the Rift S fixed IPD (interpupillary distance) But having now used the headset, I find that the "sweet spot" of the lenses is such that I found no notable downsides when using the headset with a 70' IPD

SOUND

Sound is a general suck-fest with no bass response to speak of and a loss of softer sounds in anything but the quietest environments. You will end up using your Rift S at max volume to hear anything, and even then I was much less than impressed.

CONTROLLERS

Controllers are still currently the best in the business. They are light, intuitive, small and unobtrusive, and have the longest battery life out there. The only downside I noted is that unlike the previous controllers, it's much easier to place one in the wrong hand and not notice until you try to press the grip button and find it not there. Oooppps!!

FIT

Super comfortable and quite unlikely to cause headaches or 'VR-Brow" like some other headsets, notably the Samsung Odyssey.

VISUALS

I would have to say that the Rift S seems to be a big win for simming.

I'd been wondering for quite a while why Oculus did what seemed to be only a minor upgrade to the Rift S specs, but now I suspect the new specifications were were firmly geared towards legibility.

For sim cockpits, this means gauges and displays are now very crisp/sharp, and can be read from the rest position, or in the case of very small text, by leaning forwards just slightly, rather than having to press your nose against the instruments to read the display. 😄

I would say the feeling is akin to the jump from the original iPads to the Retina displays, and essentially gives you what you were hoping VR would be like from the very beginning.

COLORS

Colors do not "POP" like the Samsung Oddsey's Oled displays, but they're fine, and less blurry than the Samsungs. In fact, I actually find the Rift S more legible, As the display is less "soft" which makes reading text while manipulating the virtual Desktop very comfortable. As for the OLED vs LCD controversy, I would say that it's absolutely true that on the new Rift, Blacks are NOT pure deep blacks, but more of a dark grey. Whether this is tolerable will depend on the user, but it seems quite apparent that for people in a space game (for instance) the difference from an OLED will be quite noticeable.

FPS

FPS is roughly the exact same as on the regular rift, and I notice no artifacts from the slight refresh rate downgrade.

TRACKING

No loss of tracking so far. I would say that for simming, tracking will be a complete non-issue, and I will be glad to rip the previous generations tracking cameras from my walls.

That's it for quick first impressions, I will answer any other questions that come up!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Since the HMD refresh rate is 80Hz what does P3Dv4.5 lock to in sim? On the original rift it would lock to 45/30/22 which is 1/2 1/3 1/4 of 90Hz without using ASW. I guess that on Rift-S that is now 40/27/20?

Thanks for posting your observations. The Rift-S is actually available in my country.

Edited by glider1

20 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Since the HMD refresh rate is 80Hz what does P3Dv4.5 lock to in sim? On the original rift it would lock to 45/30/22 which is 1/2 1/3 1/4 of 90Hz without using ASW. I guess that on Rift-S that is now 40/27/20?

Thanks for posting your observations. The Rift-S is actually available in my country.

I think you are correct, and this might actually be good for some sims that have problems with higher refresh rates. What also might be helpful is that Oculus has just updated their ASW software, which might improve things even further in regard to achieving smoother appearing framerates in Vr despite low actual framerates. https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-launches-asw-2-0-asynchronous-spacewarp/

• Like 1

Just tried the S....SDE is still there and overall image still can't beat my Odyssey Plus.

Me going with the Rift would be a downgrade.

I actually come to appreciate the O+ soft filter even more..I like smooth better than sharp.

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

Just tried the S....SDE is still there and overall image still can't beat my Odyssey Plus.

Me going with the Rift would be a downgrade.

I actually come to appreciate the O+ soft filter even more..I like smooth better than sharp.

I have the Odyssey plus and I'm gonna sell it. 😋

My reasons include the fact that the higher resolution can mean FPS issues, especially in sims that already run like turtles.

The colors (and blacks) and brightness are better in the Odyssey, but the anti-SDE technology of the screen causes a "softer" and "blurrier" feeling image, whereas the Rift S feels quite sharp, and that shows up especially in text readability in the cockpit.

I am not a fan of the O+ controllers.

The Odyssey "sweet spot" is tiny, whereas the Rift S sweet spot seems huge, comparatively.

Rift S tracking seems better.

Odyssey is relatively uncomfortable (even painful) to wear until I splurged for one of these: https://www.studioformcreative.com/

I found the software cumbersome.

I didn't like the really short O+ controller battery life.

Most games were/are expecting Vive or Rift controllers, so compatibility is often in question.

In the end, all I can say though is....

Vive la différence! 

Edit: Hmmmmmmm, I did have Oculus tray tool with SS at 2.0, so that probably helped a lot, too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DennyA said:

Got my Rift S today from Amazon.* Prepar3D v4.51 probably sees the most significant improvement, with instruments just dramatically easier to read. Everything looks sharper as well.

Great notes and review. Are you using FlyInside for P3D or native P3D VR?

38 minutes ago, Ident said:

Great notes and review. Are you using FlyInside for P3D or native P3D VR?

Thanks! I'm using native P3D VR. I used to use FlyInside, but the native VR has gotten quite good and it's less cumbersome.

14 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I think you are correct, and this might actually be good for some sims that have problems with higher refresh rates. What also might be helpful is that Oculus has just updated their ASW software, which might improve things even further in regard to achieving smoother appearing framerates in Vr despite low actual framerates. https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-launches-asw-2-0-asynchronous-spacewarp/

The following comes from the link describing ASW 2.0. I wonder if P3D and the add-on aircraft have this depth information encoded to be able to use 2.0? I would assume they do unless this info is something unique.

Not all applications will work with ASW 2.0 right out of the box, but many will. Oculus says that “most Rift apps on the Oculus Store built on Unreal Engine 4 and Unity already provide the depth information required to make ASW 2.0 work,” but those that don’t will need to be updated to take advantage of the functionality, otherwise they will fall back to ASW 1.0.

Joe

Posted (edited)

Got my Rift S now and I've had a chance to test it out on the stuff I use VR for, which is P3D, First Person Tennis and Elite Dangerous. I'm not going to write a long review, I have nothing to add to what has already been said above by numerous other users except to confirm I am very happy. Clarity, image quality, tracking, IPD - all good, no issues for me. 

I can note thought, that even without supersampling the image clarity in a PMDG bird in P3D is better than the original Rift no matter how much I supersampled. I now use 1.2 which translates into performance gains compared to 1.7 that I used with the CV1. 

Edited by andreh
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reports guys. I'm very close to press that buy button. I also use project cars 2, so I think it would be pretty nice for this as well. Any issues with PMDG planes in P3D V4.5? What about things like Envforce and Tomato? Any weird visual artifacts?

Thanks

^^No issues with PMDG planes. Works very well.

Getting mine tomorrow. I'm so excited. I demoed xplane VR with an odyssey+ and it was rather blurry to me (had my glasses on even). I did notice the 'sweet spot' everyone is talking about and it was small in the odyssey. This post and a few others I read helped me make up my mind about the Rift S, so I thank you all for that. I did have issues attempting to get P3D VR working though. It kept placing me outside of the plane for some reason. Also,  for those that may be interested, the video that sold me on it was this one:

Got mine today. Quick and simple review that might help others. I had to setup the controllers in order to finish the setup. I've never owned the CV1 controllers since it came with a small flop controller. That all was a non issue with all the sims I tested. I tried XP11 11.34 native VR, P3Dv4.4 with FlyInside and AeroflyFS2 using Oculus VR. My biggest wow sim was P3D where I noticed a nice difference. AFS2 , you just forget how smooth a sim can be until you fly AFS2 and really see it.

XP11 was a bit different. The issue wasnt VR or the Rift but I realized that in the default C172 the seat is way back. Like where it would be when you get in the plane before you slide up to get close to the controls. So things still seems not as easy to read compared to the A2A V35 in P3D. However, switching to the C210 in XP11 and it was much more noticeable that the distance was correct.

All in all the Rift S is a great starting point over the CV1. This is what I had hoped VR would of looked like 3 years ago. Plenty of room for improvements but the lack of the screen door effect, the sharper and more vivid colors are a nice starting point knowing the challenges of VR. Im happy I upgraded even if the changes were small, they were noticeable and benefiting.

i have had an issue with the thick fog/haze effect there is in p3d and xplane 11 at night.

But was able to mitigate the problem somewhat by using HDR and turning the brightness and saturation way up and the bloom completely down.

I hope someone can come up with a way to get rid of that haze effect during night flights.

Just got done testing a night flight in XP11 and yeah the haze is there. If the LCD not great blacks is the trade off for the benefits over the CV1 then I will take it but hopefully it can be lessened via a software update or plugin/addon.

Got mine today. Having difficulty with image (text) clarity with PMDG. Text seems blurry and hard to read. I installed the tray tool, not sure how to use it. For those that have made positive comments about PMDG, any suggestions? Is anyone else having issues with blurriness?