Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Cannot taxi in a straight line (some of the time.)

Some of the time taxi steering is very stable, at other times wants to wander either left or right.

I see a number of posts relative to P factor and torgue, but rolling at idle throttle or particularly with a jet this should not be a problem on the ground.

Under Realism Settings, P Factor, and Torgue are turned off.

Now what really is strange: Upon landing at my destination airport, taxi sensitivity is always very stable and the aircraft will taxi in a straight line.

This is not aircraft, location, or flightplan specific. By that I mean with any aircraft or same conditions, this problem may or may not show up.

Respectfully:

RTH

Do you have any weather enabled? i.e winds pushing the plane around? It's just something which isn't aircraft, location or flightplan specific.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

RTH, what flight controls do you use for taxiing?  If for example you have a rudder, would turning down its sensitivity help with taxi controls?

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

14 hours ago, rhodges said:

with a jet

as best I "recall" in fsx, the only way to nosewheel steer a "jet" on the ground at <20kts is with the tiller feature / function / axis in fsuipc (except for the AS a320 which has a dedicated axis).

at > 20kts, yes the pedal nosewheel / rudder (fsx's rudder axis) is blended reasonably well.

for now, cheers

john martin

Thanks for the replies everybody:

BF Bullpup: I believe you pointed me in the right direction. I use the CH Pro Pedals for steering. In checking settings in FSUIPC, I found quite a bit of erratic noise with no feet on the pedals. Over the years this product has been noted for broken wires, which I have spliced on more than one occasion, but the last time was probably a couple of years ago. I suspect a wire is nearing a break, or a pot is suspect. I increased a larger null zone in the neutral position above the noise level I was seeing and have no problem with straight line taxiing now.

HyBypass: I tried with no wind, 30+kn winds from both 90 and 270 degrees. I really see no difference. Thanks for the try

vadriver: I have nosewheel steering for all aircraft, including jets at all speeds, although obviously the higher the speed, the more sensitive steering is. The only exceptions I have ever encountered are aircraft with no steering in some dandy taildraggers.

Thanks again!

RTH

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rhodges said:

The only exceptions I have ever encountered are aircraft with no steering in some dandy taildraggers.

Thanks again!

RTH

That should be easily fixed with a minor change in the [contact points].

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

15 hours ago, rhodges said:

BF Bullpup: I believe you pointed me in the right direction. I use the CH Pro Pedals for steering. In checking settings in FSUIPC, I found quite a bit of erratic noise with no feet on the pedals. Over the years this product has been noted for broken wires, which I have spliced on more than one occasion, but the last time was probably a couple of years ago. I suspect a wire is nearing a break, or a pot is suspect. I increased a larger null zone in the neutral position above the noise level I was seeing and have no problem with straight line taxiing now.

Thanks for the note on CH Pro Pedals.  They are my pedals too, and so far they are working fine.  Hope that lasts!  🙂

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Are both engines online? I've had that problem and it was because my engine 1 wasn't on and engine 2 was and vice versa

I have CH pedals. Whenever I have this problem I always manage to cure it by taking them apart and cleaning the pots.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE