Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Adding an "old" card to my new system? Performance boost?

So I got to thinking - I replaced my old system with a new dedicated gaming PC, which has an 8700k and a 1080. My old PC is just sitting there, and it has a 760 in it (I believe that's what it is, I'd have to turn it back on to be sure). So my question is this: would it make sense to add an older card as a second card to my gaming system? Obviously it's not going to give me a huge performance boost by any means, but would it help at all? Or would it just make no sense?

I thought about getting another card to add to my system, but then I realized I already have one. And if I got 10-15% more performance for free, why not?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Your system will default to the lowest spec card.

ZORAN

What would you want to use the second card for?  It will not boost the performance of the first card in any way..

Bert

3 hours ago, zmak said:

Your system will default to the lowest spec card.

:blink:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

:blink:

or maybe not 😃

ZORAN

Okay, I was just wondering. I wasn't sure if it would add its processing power to the first card or not.

So if a second card isn't added to the performance of the first card, why do people have dual 1080's, for example?

That is different.. dual of anything can be used in SLI mode..

But not two different cards..

Bert

You can't just pair up any old graphics cards you have laying around! They have to at least be from the same series, ideally identical otherwise they operate at the speed of the slowest one. Also running two identical cards together doesn't anywhere near double performance in FSX/P3D.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is different.. dual of anything can be used in SLI mode..

But not two different cards..

You learn something new every day - thanks Bert!

6 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

You can't just pair up any old graphics cards you have laying around! They have to at least be from the same series, , ideally identical otherwise they operate at the speed of the slowest one. Also running two identical cards together doesn't anywhere near double performance in FSX/P3D.

Thanks! Didn't know that, hence the question. 🙂

You likely find the second PCIE slot is x8 the first slot is x16/8 a single GPU will run on 16 lanes.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg