Sign in to follow this  
Toktok

Who's going to use FSX with XP???

I will be using my trusty old commodore 64 with Vista and FX10. End of story!:-beerchug

Edited for speeling

Visit the tribe @ http://islandsim.com

I am with Dillon. I plan on waiting for Vista/DX10 and then upgrading my whole box from my number 1 computer maker, Velocity Micro. Then I will buy and install FSX. By that time, all the addons I have will have the patches released for FSX. Win win in my book.Eric

Eric 

Otay. So we'll get a bit of both. But..... now all I need is a new DX10 compliant video card, a new motherboard because I have no PCIe capability (it's looking like there won't be any AGP boards for DX10), 2GB of new memory for the new motherboard, a new CPU because of the socket changes, and whatever it's going to cost for an upgrade to Vista. What a deal! Somehow I think I'll be running WinXP with DX9 for quite a while :-) .Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

And the Vista games version will be the most expensive. Then there is FSX plus the addons ;)

...if you cranked up the scenery settings. My experience was that if you kept scenery (*including clouds) down to the FS2002 levels, it performed smoother and better. Adding in additional layers of ground scenery (the more dense autogen, the XML autogen) as well as the "3D" clouds imposed a performance penalty for me. I had budgeted for a new computer then anyway, so my misery was short lived. Of course, that begs the question - If you have an older computer already struggling with FS9, would you get any USABLE improvements moving to FSX? Certainly some new features will impose a performance load, but if in fact much of the core components have been RE-written as opposed to extended, perhaps we will see FSX with it's improvements perform on par with FS9. -Greg

" My understanding is that BGL is a container file format intended for storing files? (sort of like ZIP, RAR, etc) You can find plenty of them in your FS9 installation folder, under scenery directories for example.--Janne Puonti "---------------------------------Hi!Want to know more about BGL's goto this URL and explorer!! http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/doc/table_of_contents.htmlRegardsALG

That's not the BGL they are talking about. It's Bruce's Graphic Language (or Binary Graphics Language if you are a non-believer).Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I agree with Doug about the dangers of a new OS like Windows Vista. I think the plan which would make sense would be:(1) to upgrade your PC to dual-core (preferably) and PCI-E (with dual SLI video cards if you can afford them).(2) Partition the hard drive into two partitions OR if you have two hard drives, then use one for Windows XP Pro and the other for Windows Vista.(3) Run FS2004 in your Windows XP and also install FSX to test it on Windows XP partition. You can even have a third separate partition with FS2004 and another one with XP/FSX.(4) Install FSX also on your Vista partition to see if it is stable. You don't need to install too many add-ons to know if FSX is stable witin Vista as any major instability issues will show up pretty quickly so the time invested in doing a "test" installation of FSX/VISTA should not be as much as the full install of FSX on WinXP.Once you are convinced FSX is stable within Vista, then install the rest of your add-ons onto FSX/VISTA.Yes, it's a lot of work, but flight simming is a lot of work and setting up FS is initially tedious but worth it afterwards!BOTTOM LINE: DON'T TRUST VISTA as soon as it comes out. Install FSX ON XP only and look at AVSIM and/or Microsoft forums for major issues with Vista (if any) and only then invest the time to setup FSX on VISTA.John

> That's not the BGL they are talking about. It's Bruce's>Graphic Language (or Binary Graphics Language if you are a>non-believer).>>DougActually, as Bruce would be the first to point out if he were here, BGL stands for Better Graphics Language, because it was Better than Logol :->Tim