Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Looking to purchase another heavy.

Good day all!!!

Im looking at adding to the fleet for the weekend, I think I’ve narrowed it down to the:

PMDG 747-8 add-on (I do already have the 400)

QW787

PMDG 777

I don’t mean to beat a d*%d horse, But If you were to grab one of these today in their current state which would you choose. As I’m aware the 787 had some issues at release but not sure whether it’s all been sorted.

If all else fails and I can’t make a decision I’ll grab some scenery instead  lol

Thanks 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Hi! I own the 3 of them.

The - 8 is a nice addition, but I personnaly prefer the - 400. If you already fly the Queen a lot, it would be my choice.

My problem with the T7 is that it does not include the - 200 versions except from the LR. It is a very nice add-on though. Getting all three variants will get expensive overall.

The QW 787 had a rough start but it is now very solid. Best bang for the buck since it includes the - 8, the - 9 and the - 10 will come later as a free add-on for the previous owners.

Other long hauls, though "classics" : the Aerosoft DC8 and the A2A Constellation are worth it.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

747-8 is probably the best in terms of simulation. The 777 is also very nice, though. Just the sound of the GE90s starting up is worth the price of the addon.

27 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Good day all!!!

Im looking at adding to the fleet for the weekend, I think I’ve narrowed it down to the:

PMDG 747-8 add-on (I do already have the 400)

QW787

PMDG 777

I don’t mean to beat a d*%d horse, But If you were to grab one of these today in their current state which would you choose. As I’m aware the 787 had some issues at release but not sure whether it’s all been sorted.

If all else fails and I can’t make a decision I’ll grab some scenery instead  lol

Thanks 

Best bang for your buck has to be the QW787.

I wasn't it's greatest fan to begin with, but the incremental improvements have made it a lot, lot better. Still may throw a (now rare) LNAV / VNAV wobbly.
There are some nice little extra features, like the 'jump ahead' function to reduce the time spent on ULR routes, virtual PF / PNF and cabin crew announcements, EFB, airport maps on the ND.

Every now and then I'm tempted to go get the PMDG 777, but a flight in the QW787 keeps me (and my wallet) plenty happy for long-haul flying.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Depends on what you're trying to do...if you just want something different to fly on the same kinds of legs/city pairs as the B744, then the -8 makes sense.  The -8 and the 777 both come with pax and cargo variants, if you ever do that.  The 787 is an example of the latest generation of glass flight decks.

The PMDG add-ons would be of higher fidelity than the 787, if deep-dive accuracy is important.

OTOH, you could have some of everything...you could get both the -8 and the 787--together they would still be less expensive than the 777 alone.

...so many airplanes, so little time.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

42 minutes ago, w6kd said:

OTOH, you could have some of everything...you could get both the -8 and the 787--together they would still be less expensive than the 777 alone.

Never thought of it that way!

43 minutes ago, w6kd said:

...so many airplanes, so little time.

Regards

Very true!!

Thanks for all the replies so far..still a  little undecided but I think I narrowed it down to the 787 or 747-800.

What draws me more to the 787 is that in my area it has a bigger presence with real world passenger ops...However the 744 is a fun one to fly and a solid bit of software (Thanks PMDG)

How could a hobby turn out to have such hard decisions lol.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

10 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

How could a hobby turn out to have such hard decisions lol.

It doesn't stop at the storefront either...some days just deciding which one to pull out and fly and where is the hardest part of the flight!!  It's like Jay Leno trying to decide which of his vintage 'vettes he's driving to work today...

Cheers

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 747-8, but it'd be a very tight call. The 787 is a great plane too, but -8 does have them beat in depth of simulation. I find myself flying the -8 almost exclusively over the -400, but I fly the 787 a good deal too. They're both really well-done. The 787 doesn't simulate non-normal stuff, but while the PMDG does you will very rarely encounter it (because it's, you know, non-normal 😉 ) so from a day-to-day perspective it doesn't really matter all that much.

You won't go wrong picking either one.

Just now, w6kd said:

It's like Jay Leno trying to decide which of his vintage 'vettes he's driving to work today...

Neither. He'll drive the Bentley with the airplane engine in it. 😉

Edited by eslader
  • Like 1

The 747-8 has a similiar FMC and display units to the 777, but that GE90 sound, it's nice to have.

I have yet to complete a flight with the 787 and while I try to like it, it lacks a certain oomph that I can't explain.

Just to advise that the 777 gauges have that moire look to them if you have HDR enabled in Prepar3D, so switch it off when flying the 777

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

PMDG 777

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Hard choice to make.  I have them all and enjoy them all (and painted them all LOL).

If you're looking for variety from a vendor standpoint, you already have the best PMDG offering, although the 777 is fantastic....so with that said I'd go with the QW 787.

I'd read up on some who've reported cockpit screen resolution issues with the 787, esp. those running at "lower" resolution.  If you do not have 4k, you may have to tweak some settings to get it perfect in non-4k. (I do have 4k and never experienced any readability issues at all).
The great news about the QW purchase is that its thru Flight1, meaning you have 30 days to try it on your system.  If you're not happy after then, return it for a full refund.

You really can't go wrong with any PMDG purchase either, as we all know what we're getting when we press the purchase button.  The 777 is a joy to fly, the GE90 growl with a good sub-woofer will bring tears to your ears. :)  If you're into freighters, the 777F is awesome, and I know there are several great paints for her out there too. (wink, wink).

The -8 would be nice to have as well....but you have a Queen already so there's that.

Good luck on your choice and let us know what you decide.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

27 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Hard choice to make.  I have them all and enjoy them all (and painted them all LOL).

If you're looking for variety from a vendor standpoint, you already have the best PMDG offering, although the 777 is fantastic....so with that said I'd go with the QW 787.

I'd read up on some who've reported cockpit screen resolution issues with the 787, esp. those running at "lower" resolution.  If you do not have 4k, you may have to tweak some settings to get it perfect in non-4k. (I do have 4k and never experienced any readability issues at all).
The great news about the QW purchase is that its thru Flight1, meaning you have 30 days to try it on your system.  If you're not happy after then, return it for a full refund.

You really can't go wrong with any PMDG purchase either, as we all know what we're getting when we press the purchase button.  The 777 is a joy to fly, the GE90 growl with a good sub-woofer will bring tears to your ears. 🙂 If you're into freighters, the 777F is awesome, and I know there are several great paints for her out there too. (wink, wink).

The -8 would be nice to have as well....but you have a Queen already so there's that.

Good luck on your choice and let us know what you decide.

Thanks.

I don’t run 4K so I will be sure to look into it but I think I’m gonna go with the QW 787, I will purchase tonight and give it a go.

I would like to support all developers if I could as We are very lucky and am very thankful to have these select few who put the effort into bringing us what we have available, however in saying that, It’s just not feasible in purchasing everything that gets released and unfortunately and these decisions need to be made.

Thanks again 

Wouldn't go wrong selecting any of them but the 748 is great since you already have the 4 …. otherwise I really love driving the 777

14 hours ago, andreh said:

The 777 is also very nice, though. Just the sound of the GE90s starting up is worth the price of the addon.

At $165.00 for the 200/300 pack, no, it isn't worth it just for the sounds. The -800 is the latest and greatest and the T7 is the old FSX job updated for P3D.

To the OP, depending on your level of immersion, realism and type (cargo v/s cattle) both (-800 and T7) have a place in your hangar. Clear as mud, right?  😀

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I'd read up on some who've reported cockpit screen resolution issues with the 787, esp. those running at "lower" resolution.  If you do not have 4k, you may have to tweak some settings to get it perfect in non-4k. (I do have 4k and never experienced any readability issues at all)

The problem is that some people are equating "small" with "low resolution". I run the QW787 @ 1920x1080 resolution, and it is true that the information on some of the displays is quite difficult to see at normal settings. However, if I zoom in, everything is clear and sharp, so it has nothing to do with texture resolution.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png