Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Looking to purchase another heavy.

Recommended Posts

Good day all!!!

Im looking at adding to the fleet for the weekend, I think I’ve narrowed it down to the:

PMDG 747-8 add-on (I do already have the 400)

QW787

PMDG 777

I don’t mean to beat a d*%d horse, But If you were to grab one of these today in their current state which would you choose. As I’m aware the 787 had some issues at release but not sure whether it’s all been sorted.

If all else fails and I can’t make a decision I’ll grab some scenery instead  lol

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi! I own the 3 of them.

The - 8 is a nice addition, but I personnaly prefer the - 400. If you already fly the Queen a lot, it would be my choice.

My problem with the T7 is that it does not include the - 200 versions except from the LR. It is a very nice add-on though. Getting all three variants will get expensive overall.

The QW 787 had a rough start but it is now very solid. Best bang for the buck since it includes the - 8, the - 9 and the - 10 will come later as a free add-on for the previous owners.

Other long hauls, though "classics" : the Aerosoft DC8 and the A2A Constellation are worth it.

 

Share this post


Link to post

747-8 is probably the best in terms of simulation. The 777 is also very nice, though. Just the sound of the GE90s starting up is worth the price of the addon.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Good day all!!!

Im looking at adding to the fleet for the weekend, I think I’ve narrowed it down to the:

PMDG 747-8 add-on (I do already have the 400)

QW787

PMDG 777

I don’t mean to beat a d*%d horse, But If you were to grab one of these today in their current state which would you choose. As I’m aware the 787 had some issues at release but not sure whether it’s all been sorted.

If all else fails and I can’t make a decision I’ll grab some scenery instead  lol

Thanks 


Best bang for your buck has to be the QW787.

I wasn't it's greatest fan to begin with, but the incremental improvements have made it a lot, lot better. Still may throw a (now rare) LNAV / VNAV wobbly.
There are some nice little extra features, like the 'jump ahead' function to reduce the time spent on ULR routes, virtual PF / PNF and cabin crew announcements, EFB, airport maps on the ND.

Every now and then I'm tempted to go get the PMDG 777, but a flight in the QW787 keeps me (and my wallet) plenty happy for long-haul flying.

Share this post


Link to post

Depends on what you're trying to do...if you just want something different to fly on the same kinds of legs/city pairs as the B744, then the -8 makes sense.  The -8 and the 777 both come with pax and cargo variants, if you ever do that.  The 787 is an example of the latest generation of glass flight decks.

The PMDG add-ons would be of higher fidelity than the 787, if deep-dive accuracy is important.

OTOH, you could have some of everything...you could get both the -8 and the 787--together they would still be less expensive than the 777 alone.

...so many airplanes, so little time.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, w6kd said:

 

OTOH, you could have some of everything...you could get both the -8 and the 787--together they would still be less expensive than the 777 alone.

Never thought of it that way!

43 minutes ago, w6kd said:

 

...so many airplanes, so little time.

Regards

Very true!!

 

Thanks for all the replies so far..still a  little undecided but I think I narrowed it down to the 787 or 747-800.

What draws me more to the 787 is that in my area it has a bigger presence with real world passenger ops...However the 744 is a fun one to fly and a solid bit of software (Thanks PMDG)

How could a hobby turn out to have such hard decisions lol.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

How could a hobby turn out to have such hard decisions lol.

It doesn't stop at the storefront either...some days just deciding which one to pull out and fly and where is the hardest part of the flight!!  It's like Jay Leno trying to decide which of his vintage 'vettes he's driving to work today...

Cheers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 747-8, but it'd be a very tight call. The 787 is a great plane too, but -8 does have them beat in depth of simulation. I find myself flying the -8 almost exclusively over the -400, but I fly the 787 a good deal too. They're both really well-done. The 787 doesn't simulate non-normal stuff, but while the PMDG does you will very rarely encounter it (because it's, you know, non-normal 😉 ) so from a day-to-day perspective it doesn't really matter all that much.

You won't go wrong picking either one.

Just now, w6kd said:

It's like Jay Leno trying to decide which of his vintage 'vettes he's driving to work today...

Neither. He'll drive the Bentley with the airplane engine in it. 😉

 

Edited by eslader
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The 747-8 has a similiar FMC and display units to the 777, but that GE90 sound, it's nice to have.

I have yet to complete a flight with the 787 and while I try to like it, it lacks a certain oomph that I can't explain.

Just to advise that the 777 gauges have that moire look to them if you have HDR enabled in Prepar3D, so switch it off when flying the 777

Share this post


Link to post

Hard choice to make.  I have them all and enjoy them all (and painted them all LOL).

If you're looking for variety from a vendor standpoint, you already have the best PMDG offering, although the 777 is fantastic....so with that said I'd go with the QW 787.

I'd read up on some who've reported cockpit screen resolution issues with the 787, esp. those running at "lower" resolution.  If you do not have 4k, you may have to tweak some settings to get it perfect in non-4k. (I do have 4k and never experienced any readability issues at all).
The great news about the QW purchase is that its thru Flight1, meaning you have 30 days to try it on your system.  If you're not happy after then, return it for a full refund.

You really can't go wrong with any PMDG purchase either, as we all know what we're getting when we press the purchase button.  The 777 is a joy to fly, the GE90 growl with a good sub-woofer will bring tears to your ears. :)  If you're into freighters, the 777F is awesome, and I know there are several great paints for her out there too. (wink, wink).

The -8 would be nice to have as well....but you have a Queen already so there's that.

Good luck on your choice and let us know what you decide.

 

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Hard choice to make.  I have them all and enjoy them all (and painted them all LOL).

If you're looking for variety from a vendor standpoint, you already have the best PMDG offering, although the 777 is fantastic....so with that said I'd go with the QW 787.

I'd read up on some who've reported cockpit screen resolution issues with the 787, esp. those running at "lower" resolution.  If you do not have 4k, you may have to tweak some settings to get it perfect in non-4k. (I do have 4k and never experienced any readability issues at all).
The great news about the QW purchase is that its thru Flight1, meaning you have 30 days to try it on your system.  If you're not happy after then, return it for a full refund.

You really can't go wrong with any PMDG purchase either, as we all know what we're getting when we press the purchase button.  The 777 is a joy to fly, the GE90 growl with a good sub-woofer will bring tears to your ears. 🙂 If you're into freighters, the 777F is awesome, and I know there are several great paints for her out there too. (wink, wink).

The -8 would be nice to have as well....but you have a Queen already so there's that.

Good luck on your choice and let us know what you decide.

 

Thanks.

I don’t run 4K so I will be sure to look into it but I think I’m gonna go with the QW 787, I will purchase tonight and give it a go.

I would like to support all developers if I could as We are very lucky and am very thankful to have these select few who put the effort into bringing us what we have available, however in saying that, It’s just not feasible in purchasing everything that gets released and unfortunately and these decisions need to be made.

Thanks again 

Share this post


Link to post

Wouldn't go wrong selecting any of them but the 748 is great since you already have the 4 …. otherwise I really love driving the 777

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, andreh said:

The 777 is also very nice, though. Just the sound of the GE90s starting up is worth the price of the addon.

At $165.00 for the 200/300 pack, no, it isn't worth it just for the sounds. The -800 is the latest and greatest and the T7 is the old FSX job updated for P3D.

To the OP, depending on your level of immersion, realism and type (cargo v/s cattle) both (-800 and T7) have a place in your hangar. Clear as mud, right?  😀

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I'd read up on some who've reported cockpit screen resolution issues with the 787, esp. those running at "lower" resolution.  If you do not have 4k, you may have to tweak some settings to get it perfect in non-4k. (I do have 4k and never experienced any readability issues at all)

The problem is that some people are equating "small" with "low resolution". I run the QW787 @ 1920x1080 resolution, and it is true that the information on some of the displays is quite difficult to see at normal settings. However, if I zoom in, everything is clear and sharp, so it has nothing to do with texture resolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, speedyTC said:

At $165.00 for the 200/300 pack, no, it isn't worth it just for the sounds. The -800 is the latest and greatest and the T7 is the old FSX job updated for P3D.

To the OP, depending on your level of immersion, realism and type (cargo v/s cattle) both (-800 and T7) have a place in your hangar. Clear as mud, right?  😀

Wrong

The 777 is specifically designed for p3d. The development pathway of the 777 for p3d and fsx was two different things.

so saying that the T7 is an update of the fsx product is wrong, and this is well documented as the Robert of PMDG said this in the 777 development update posts on the PMDG avsim support forums. And the features are different - so it’s not just “sales stuff” ..

Please don’t post misinformation...

In regards to op; I agree the 787 would be a different but awesome thing to try.. +30 day refund if you change your mind..

 

Edited by Sam
Nuanced PMDG statement

Share this post


Link to post

I have this same question in mind; "Looking to purchase another heavy."

I generally fly GA VFR/IFR in the PNW with live weather for the most part, although I do like the "heavies" as well on occasion to justify the Flightbeam/Orbx investment.

I was thinking on a PMDG heavy. In the past I purchased the PMDG 747 twice throughout its early developments under FSX (on disk). However, the thought of paying out (in CDN currency) again turns me off a little, even though I know they are quality offerings.

Having said this, I purchased the QW 787 and I am very pleased in 4K resolution locked at 30FPS. Everything is smooth. Yes, I have to baby-sit the VNAV mode at times, but I have completed auto landings quite successfully despite what others claim. Nevertheless, it also looks fantastic in (PBR) as well if one is privy to visuals and eye-candy. The sounds are adequate. It is also a beautiful aircraft to fly as hands-on as well. The price is also very reasonable.

Maybe PMDG down the road when they PBR the DC6 . . .;-)

Cheers 

Warren Jones

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Ezra said:

I was thinking on a PMDG heavy. In the past I purchased the PMDG 747 twice throughout its early developments under FSX (on disk). However, the thought of paying out (in CDN currency) again turns me off a little, even though I know they are quality offerings.

Don't fear that. The 747v3 although beeing a 747, has nothing to do with the previous version. You can go for it hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

It is also worth noting that there are 15 variations of the 747v3.....

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...