Sign in to follow this  
somiller

Conflict Report

Oliver,

I did a "Conflict Check" and it appears I have duplicate entry.

Report shows:

XMLtools64.dll | dll.xml.cfg

dll.xml (ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d) has an entry for XMLTools64.dll.

DLL.XML (AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4) also has an entry for XMLTools64.dll

I assume it should be in only one of the dll.xml's

Any idea which I should delete?

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Pretty sure this is a Milviz problem . I would inquire in their tech support if you have any Milviz products installed. Possibly there is an updated installer but you'd still have to get rid of one of them. I don't think the .dll can load twice anyways so it shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, somiller said:

I would recommend to delete this one, it´s always better to have only one entry to avoid issues.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

4 hours ago, somiller said:

Oliver,

I did a "Conflict Check" and it appears I have duplicate entry.

Report shows:

DLL.XML (AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4) also has an entry for XMLTools64.dll

I assume it should be in only one of the dll.xml's

Any idea which I should delete?

Kind Regards,

Hi,

the practical answer: none. Don't delete any of the two. If they have been put there by an installer, removing them is pointless. The next update/reinstall will put them back.

the theoretical answer: remember how Windows works as an operating system - it allows any number of different user accounts. Everything that is somewhere in "C:\users\somiller" is (normally) only accessible to the user "somiller", whereas "C:\ProgramData" is accessible to all user accounts (if you allow that). So if you are the only user, you delete the one in "ProgramData" - and if multiple user accounts need it, you delete the one in "AppData\Roaming" and leave the one in "ProgramData". Unfortunately this fundamental principle is broken all the time in the flightsimming world, by users and developers alike (don't get me started on that...). Example: if used correctly, you could have 10 completely different sim configurations (settings and addons), by using 10 different user accounts. Every setting that a user makes (and which is saved in "AppData\Roaming") is specific only to him, and all addons that are linked by virtue of an "add-on.xml" in "\Documents" are unique to him too. You can even have duplicates of all .cfg files from "ProgramData" in "AppData\Roaming" if necessary. The only part of P3D that breaks this rule are the scenery indexes - IMHO they belong in "AppData\Local" not "ProgramData". But since they are rebuilt anyway if the sim detects change, that doesn't really matter in practice.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help.

Oliver, I never thought of it in those terms...user vs system-wide. It makes sense,considering some programs ask whether they should be installed for current user, or all users.

I'll leave them both in place.

I don't know that I'm experiencing any issues, but it always concerns me when I see file duplication. I was in commercial printing for 30 years, and for the last 20 years (after computerization hit the industry) I had to be on a constant mission to keep our people from saving copies of files with the same name in more than one location. If we printed a customer's 100 page catalog, and later the customer came back and wanted it reprinted, if we had multiple versions archived with the same name, how could we ever figure out which one was used for previous printing, and which were test files, or iterations that didn't really match the final printed product - it was a pptential nightmare gave me many gray hairs.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

2 hours ago, somiller said:

I never thought of it in those terms...user vs system-wide. It makes sense,considering some programs ask whether they should be installed for current user, or all users.

No worries, I have my doubts that anybody (users and developers) thinks about that a lot, even though Windows has been working like this IIRC at least since WIN98. The current system and naming conventions have been around since Win7 (XP had the same logic but different naming conventions), and the necessity to think about "local vs global" has been there since FSX. But somehow users and developers rarely think this through properly - otherwise they wouldn't just drop content into the Program Files folders or give advice like "Run or Install xy as Administrator" - both  can be fatal. (with a normal user account, you never are the administrator, you only have administrator rights. That is not the same when it comes to file ownership. Installing something "As Administrator" can lead to a situation where you as the user can no longer delete those files, since they don't belong to you). Windows and the simulator tend to work extremely well and hassle-free when you just adhere to the rules that Microsoft has set for their OS.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Oliver,

I looked at this thread: https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=132273

Good catch on the bug in v4.4...looks like it caught LM by surprise. That could've ended up being a fairly nasty problem, especially over time as we all install and remove add-ons from our systems.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1