Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Which One: PMDG 747, FSLabs 320 or MaddogX

Which One: PMDG 747, FSLabs 320 or MaddogX  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Help me choose which bird to buy?

• PMDG 747-400 v3 (Base release for now)
    • MaddogX
    • FSLabs 320 (Base release)

I have to agree with Jim. When the 737 NGX was introduced it was the bee's knees. An instant buy. But times have moved on and there really is a new sheriff in town.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

The Concorde was an interesting jet, but if FSL's 6+ year development cycle time on their Scarebus is any indication, it's likely still years and maybe several P3D versions away.  It was a really niche thing in its heyday, anyway...IRL the airplane only served maybe a half dozen airports worldwide.  Most of my nearly 300 add-on airports would die of loneliness!

I don't find comparisons between the quality and/or immersion of the A320 and B737 add-ons very useful...despite the fact that they have similar range and payloads, they are much different aircraft to manage and operate, and I appreciate having good simulations of both. 

I don't share some of the most glowing opinions of the FSL plane--IMHO, it's not the flawless gem some make it out to be.  It's good, but still has some issues.  The AOC Service for flight plan loading that was supposed to allow PFPX/Simbrief etc to directly load a FP has never worked correctly across at least four versions now, and most folks use as SOP the old workaround of moving the flight plan to a folder and importing it into the FMS.  The nosewheel steering is notoriously twitchy, with a nasty lag and tendency to overshoot.  The panel textures are a bit plain and on the sterile side.

The PMDG 737 needs some attention to smoothness on the displays...the airspeed tape ratchets noticeably when climbing/descending (a function of the temp updating once per second) and needs smoothing similar to what's in the more recent B777/747, it needs the ability to load/incorporate wind data in the FMS as in the later 777/747 offerings, and correcting the cockpit 3D geometry to reflect the actual plane's physical layout (particularly w/r/t window size/shape) would be appreciated by many.  I suspect we'll see some or all of that in the V3 version.

Anyway, to the OP's poll question, the answer is they're all good, and the answer really depends mostly on what kind of flying you want to do.  It's like asking "what should I buy, a Ford F150 4x4 truck, a Chevy Camaro, or a Lexus?"  There's little basis for apples-to-apples comparisons...they're all very different vehicles, and which one is best for you depends on what you want to do with it.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Wouldn't you guys think the PMDG 747 would dominate...I seriously thought I was in the minority with my opinion!

You can fly to and from considerably more airports in the A320 or MD8x than you can in the 747.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, speedyTC said:

You're missing my point, Ray. I was just responding to your observation of the 320 not being too dissimilar to the 738.

Comparing either of them to the Concorde...where did that come from? 😁

Because both of them are subsonic aircraft with very similar performances. The differences are inside the cockpit. But both will still take you 2.5hrs to fly from Manchester to Lisbon. Concorde can do it in 1.5hrs.

And the reason I compared them to Concorde is because I recommended to the OP he buy none of those he listed and wait for Concorde.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

The Concorde was an interesting jet, but if FSL's 6+ year development cycle time on their Scarebus is any indication, it's likely still years and maybe several P3D versions away.  It was a really niche thing in its heyday, anyway...IRL the airplane only served maybe a half dozen airports worldwide.  Most of my nearly 300 add-on airports would die of loneliness!

Bob, I doubt it will be years before we see a 64-bit Concorde. It's not as if they're designing it from scratch. Yes, the routes flown in the real-world were few but the beauty of a sim is you can fly into and out of any suitable airport and costs are not a factor.

Regular routes for me include Manchester - Lisbon, London - Oslo, London - Tenerife & Las Palmas, London - Barbados, Seattle - LAX and SFO and Honolulu - LAX/SFO.

And bear in mind that when even flown subsonically at M0.95 it's still 100mph faster than those listed above.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm not quite sure of the purpose of this poll. There is massive amounts of information around for the due diligence as to what the OP wants.

Why ask for nothing more than subjective opinions which will ultimately degenerate into a product v product argument.

I can see this thread eventually being locked.

• Upvote 2

David Porrett

2 hours ago, DavidP said:

I'm not quite sure of the purpose of this poll. There is massive amounts of information around for the due diligence as to what the OP wants.

Why ask for nothing more than subjective opinions which will ultimately degenerate into a product v product argument.

I can see this thread eventually being locked.

Because thats what the OP wants. 

Real simmers experience with these birds. 

No one has an 100 % objective meaning which also is only half or more of the experience. 

Seems logic to put on some information beyond objective info. 

Michael Moe 

Edited by Michael Moe
  • Like 2

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

on their Scarebus

Bob, I wonder how much whiskey you'd have to drink to get the courage to use the word starting with 'A' in your poists. 😀

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If you like to do short to medium flights and keep it based on real world time tables than the FSLabs would be a great addition. Just be warned that the Labs is not the most frame-rate of the group and can even put a hurting on high end systems depending on scenery, weather, traffic etc. Most people won't talk about it because we just learn to live with it.

I love the maddog as it's a cross between old and new. The reason some don't like the maddog is because they don't want to learn how to fly it. It's not automated enough for some. As a Q400 flyer you will have no problems learning to fly it. I fly the MD-88 all the time but still have a hard time grasping the Q400. 

I put the 747 last on the list seeing you own the 777. They are similar but the 747 base is more updated than when it first released. I still enjoy the 747. I fly a lot of UPS flights with it. UPS has started transitioning the 747-400 to more domestic routes as they get more 747-8 for international. 

As some have stated you can get the MD and the 747 for the cost of the Labs. Either way the decision has to be based on what you like to fly.

• Like 2

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

10 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

Just be warned that the Labs is not the most frame-rate of the group and can even put a hurting on high end systems depending on scenery, weather, traffic etc.

Either way the decision has to be based on what you like to fly.

Absolutely, and on the other note this "short/medium/long haul aircraft" it's not quite an accurate statement. For a long time, 747 was used on flights shorter than 1 or 1 1/2 hours without any problems similar to the short-haul ones.

One of them I might mention is Japan Airlines, but again it is your choice where you take them.

What kills me is (because I like Boeing and being a real pilot dual-qualified in Boeing and Airbus) PMDG was #1.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Guys,

Excellent discussion going on here.  I hope this thread does not get locked.

I am looking for a different experience hence these planes were mentioned.

Prior to this post, I did tons of reading on FSLabs forums, lots of searches here, and youtube videos.  None of these birds are cheap (something that I have to factor) but it is the experience that I am looking for.

Just really bored with 777 (the VC is quite dull in VR, maybe I need to buy the expansion to see if they did VC upgrades).  I have been in the PMDG camp too long already have 2 birds, Majestic Q400 is nice, no doubt about it.

I do need short flights, long flights need to time compressed (my sim time is extremely limited).

Just a quick follow up question: something I am unable to figure out for Maddog and FSlabs (for PMDG I know).

Do 2 the planes have saved panel states - like I land at a airport, and save the scenario - exit p3d and run p3d later with all the failures or issues still active as it was left?

And do the planes have random failures setting on without me selecting the failure.  

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Yes both addons have save panel/aircraft state capabilities.

Edited by Epikk

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

39 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Guys,

Excellent discussion going on here.  I hope this thread does not get locked.

I am looking for a different experience hence these planes were mentioned.

Prior to this post, I did tons of reading on FSLabs forums, lots of searches here, and youtube videos.  None of these birds are cheap (something that I have to factor) but it is the experience that I am looking for.

Just really bored with 777 (the VC is quite dull in VR, maybe I need to buy the expansion to see if they did VC upgrades).  I have been in the PMDG camp too long already have 2 birds, Majestic Q400 is nice, no doubt about it.

I do need short flights, long flights need to time compressed (my sim time is extremely limited).

Just a quick follow up question: something I am unable to figure out for Maddog and FSlabs (for PMDG I know).

Do 2 the planes have saved panel states - like I land at a airport, and save the scenario - exit p3d and run p3d later with all the failures or issues still active as it was left?

And do the planes have random failures setting on without me selecting the failure.  

Hi,

Not much has been said about the Maddog. I voted for this one, I'm going to try to explain why, but first of all I'll answer your questions about the Doggo.

1/ Yes the Maddog brings this even further since the aircraft is persistent. Each livery has its own life cycle, meaning it will wore out the more you fly it. You can also choose to immediately apply a certain cycle / flight time, making it more prone to failures for example.

2/ Yes, related to my first answer.

But the Maddog is not only this. For example, there is advanced icing and fog effects. The brakes become progressively ineffective as their temperature increseases after heavy use. There is an ACARS on the way of full implementation. The operation of the aircraft is a challenger at first, but once you get to master it is unbelievably rewarding to fly. It was one of the first if not the first add-on to implement PBR. It is in both outside and VC, making the visuals stunning. The graphics are clear and the VC is of exceptional quality. I just love it.

The price for all variants is high, but there is no doubt it is one of the greatest add-on of the moment. Even if you are not especially a fan of the MD-80, the add-on is worth trying just for the realism and awesomeness of it all.

• Upvote 2

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

I'd personally go for the Q400.  Keeps you a bit more busy while still not being difficult.  Very fun to fly, and sounds great.

The 747 is great and fly really well but in terms of innovation, the Fslab is a way ahead, I only miss the share cockpit and then it would be five stars.