Sign in to follow this  

Meigs

Guest Ken_Salter

Haven't seen anyone ask this, and apologoies if it has been...Will Meigs in FSX exist at all? Will it exist and be closed? Or will it exist and be usable?

If history is an indication it will exist in the state it was when the dataset was closed, which likely means not at all.

Guest Ken_Salter

Such is my feeling also. Then allow a third party to put it back (hopefully freeware).But just curious if someone from Microsoft ;-) would have any thoughts on this.

Ahhh, the old home of FS. I miss arriving and departing from there. It was once the home of many flight simmers first flights I bet - however long they were :-lol I hope it could be included, but I doubt that it will be :-(I was just thinking, why was Meigs the default start location to begin with? what made MS decide to start from there?

Alaister Kay

Hi,It was Bruce from Simlogic who made that choice. I believe it was his home airport.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hi Jim,just a little correction :-) I'm sure you meant SubLogic. And Bruce Artwick (at least the office)was in Greater Kankakee(KIKK) as far as I remember. But I'm not sure if that was the reason to chose Meigs. Anyway, I'd too love to see it back in FSX. Let's keep our fingers crossed.Rodger :-wave

>Hi Jim,>>just a little correction :-) >>I'm sure you meant SubLogic. And Bruce Artwick (at least the>office)>was in Greater Kankakee(KIKK) as far as I remember.I thought they (office) were located down in Champaign, Illinois?

Yep, I had it spelled wrong and then corrected it wrong!I think on the history of FS site this is explained.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hi Tom,you are right, I got mixed up, of course it was Champaign.Sorry for any confusion,Rodger :-wave

Hi Guys,I think the origin (0,0) of the old FS3/FS4 coordinate system was somewhere around Champaign. Back then we did not have latitude/longitude, it simply was a grid that ranged from -16384 to +16383 in each direction. Wonder what exactly was at the origin ?Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Guest sclincoln

It was a nice airport to start from because it offered a cityscape view right from startup, it was oriented N-S with runways 36/18 which made for easy pattern work, it offered the beginner VFR pilot instant orientation (water on my right, must be going north), and it was a nice short flight to an ILS approach at O'Hare.I just started teaching my wife to fly a little bit (she finally agreed to give it a try), so we started out at 'ole Meigs.

In FS4, Meigs coordinates were 17189 North, and 16671 East. Champaign Willard was 16400 North and 16465 East, so I don't think 0, 0 was near Champaign.Back in SubLogic FS II, I had the Japan Scenery Disk, and the coordinates of Tokyo (Narita) were 18375 North, 32940 East. I'm not sure how all of that worked. :)Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks, my memory was a bit incorrect then, I guess the range of coordinates was 0...32767 in each direction and 16384,16384 (which is half way) was somewhere in Champaign itself, the grey polygon near the airport :-).Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Bruce did live in Champaign during early development of FS at University of Illinois. Although not a flightsimmer at the time, I recall visiting UI Willard often for number of purposes during that time. Often wondered if we ever unkowingly crossed paths? Wish I had met him and the group who assisted him:-)Having lived in "Chambana", the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana, Il. for over twenty years I assume the "grey polygon" would include some of the housing next to the Blue or Orange UI Golf courses adjacent to UI Willard.Both my sons live there, and a visit last weekend revealed that UI School of Aviation seems to be flourishing:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png