Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

VR performance in p3d v4.5

So I'm getting back to vr flight simming and been comparing fly inside for p3d vs native. I'm noticing performance in FI seems quite poor for me at the moment and has some graphical glitches (greyish line across cockpit glass, interior lighting flickers). Avg around fps 15/90 while feeling choppy.
Native vr however is about 15-20 fps and feels much smoother. However I have more distracting glitches (wobbly imagery, flickering night lights, pfd seems harder to read).  I've tried lowering settings alot with not alot of change in performance. 

Just wondering what everyone else is doing for vr these days and how their performance compares. I'm running a vive pro, 2080ti, i9 9900k and 64 GB ram.

• Like 1

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Hey there. I have very similar hardware (9900k 5.0ghz, Strix 2080Ti) in a computer I just built. I'm getting around 30-40 fps with the Rift. Couple questions, are you using the Oculus Tray Tool? Also, depending on your motherboard, are you using Aura Sync?

The reason I ask about Aura Sync is because I was getting really "wobbly" graphics as well. It seems it is a common issue with Aura Sync and VR for some odd reason. When I turn it off, it goes away.

I also see you are on 4.4. 4.5 helped me a bit when it came to VR but there are mixed results.

Edited by IndyPilot80

7 hours ago, IndyPilot80 said:

Hey there. I have very similar hardware (9900k 5.0ghz, Strix 2080Ti) in a computer I just built. I'm getting around 30-40 fps with the Rift. Couple questions, are you using the Oculus Tray Tool? Also, depending on your motherboard, are you using Aura Sync?

The reason I ask about Aura Sync is because I was getting really "wobbly" graphics as well. It seems it is a common issue with Aura Sync and VR for some odd reason. When I turn it off, it goes away.

I also see you are on 4.4. 4.5 helped me a bit when it came to VR but there are mixed results.

I'm actually running v4.5. I don't think I updated my signature. I'm also running a vive pro. Maybe the resolution is making all the difference.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

If it is any consolation I get a weird visual distortion "wobbly" effect in 4.5 on a Rift CV1. It only happens on the ground as the plane is moving. The background ground texture bleeds into the first 2% of the leading edge of the wing in a sawtooth like wobble visual distortion. It isn't an AA problem and it is minor enough not to stop me. As usual, no reply from Lockheed Martin when I asked about it on the forums.

Edited by glider1

These wobbly effects are likely due to artifacts created by the Oculus ASW kicking in because your frames dip below 90fsp. This is a fact of life with VR and applications that are heavy on the hardware, like flight sims. You won't get rid of except by dialing down your settings and giving your hardware a break so that the 90fps can consistantly be maintained.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:54 AM, andreh said:

These wobbly effects are likely due to artifacts created by the Oculus ASW kicking in because your frames dip below 90fsp. This is a fact of life with VR and applications that are heavy on the hardware, like flight sims. You won't get rid of except by dialing down your settings and giving your hardware a break so that the 90fps can consistantly be maintained.

I've turned literally every setting off as a test and it still happens.  It seems FlyInside can get rid of the wobbly stuff, just the head panning doesnt seem as smooth (at least lately).   I miss the late 3.x days of P3D for VR with FI.  It seemed so word not allowed smooth compared to this.  Again this could be me simming pre-hotfix. I've been settling in after moving so I havent touched simming since I made this post.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

7 hours ago, pegruder said:

I've turned literally every setting off as a test and it still happens.  It seems FlyInside can get rid of the wobbly stuff, just the head panning doesnt seem as smooth (at least lately).   I miss the late 3.x days of P3D for VR with FI.  It seemed so word not allowed smooth compared to this.  Again this could be me simming pre-hotfix. I've been settling in after moving so I havent touched simming since I made this post.

I use native VR and I´ve always had the wobbly effects. They become worse in heavy scenery. I´ve read other posts that say that FlyInside isn´t performing as well as it used to with older P3D versions. You might as well use native then, I suppose. The primary reason for using FI was in my opinion the better performance, but I always found it messy to set up and there´s no support for HDR lighting which makes p3D look like FSX.

Edited by andreh

On 5/18/2019 at 4:16 AM, andreh said:

I use native VR and I´ve always had the wobbly effects. They become worse in heavy scenery. I´ve read other posts that say that FlyInside isn´t performing as well as it used to with older P3D versions. You might as well use native then, I suppose. The primary reason for using FI was in my opinion the better performance, but I always found it messy to set up and there´s no support for HDR lighting which makes p3D look like FSX.

Ya know - I didnt even consider the HDR stuff - I thought quality wise default looked better than FI.  FI's window management is super helpful but I guess I'll manage. 

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

Turn off asw to get rid of wobbly image using rift or its equivalent on another hmd. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

8 hours ago, pegruder said:

Ya know - I didnt even consider the HDR stuff - I thought quality wise default looked better than FI.  FI's window management is super helpful but I guess I'll manage. 

If you're using oculus you can easily pin the desktop and take that with you into VR.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:41 AM, andreh said:

If you're using oculus you can easily pin the desktop and take that with you into VR.

Ill have to give this a shot and report back.  Still haven't had any time for simming.  Hopefully this weekend!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS