Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

OrbX's Australia V2 Announced

And the TE crowd. Imagine the ressources for TE would have gone into the remaining OpenLC products...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 minutes ago, AnkH said:

And the TE crowd. Imagine the ressources for TE would have gone into the remaining OpenLC products...

.. imagine the  ORBX FTX regions we could have in vast parts of Europe an America without TE development. Now we have a rag rug.  I am not against TE, but two or three years later with 4TB-8TB SSDs and a Sim that can handle those immense amounts of objects.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I remember that almost three years ago, they announced in their "roadmap" that they would add more scenery designers to their team and that we could expect two LC continents per year starting in 2017. Now it looks like they are hardly releasing one continent every two years. After they will release AF LC (hopefully this year, but it wouldn't surprise me if not), I don't want to think how long we would need to wait for Asia LC, which is the biggest and most diverse continent they would be facing. And who knows if they won't change their roadmap again in favor of more TE regions...

OLC Africa entering "beta" this month (for now!) 😉

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

What I personally do not really understand: I always thought that TE Netherlands will be the test platform for TE products and many, many responses and user feedback basically showed that those TE products are nice and the future of flightsimming, but the cost is to big for the moment. Disk space, endless loading times, performance worse than back in FSX days and back to a coverage that is so "little" that even GB needs to be splitted into three parts. Back from global or super-regional products to the tiling way of sceneries. Something I thought is gone with OpenLC and stuff. Back to the patchwork way of scenery development where you have no motivation to fly outside a small and defined area (due to the bad looking boarders or the suddenly worse depiction if you leave the TE area). But no, obviously TE Netherlands was not a test platform but the beginning of putting almost all resources into this branch and abandoning the road map(s) for all other products. Bummer.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

So much misinformed conjecture...

If you bother to read the AustraliaV2 announcement you will see that the landclass regions team is unchanged from ten years ago, with Holger still at the helm. Holger has nothing to do with TE regions; those are led by TonyW. So there are different teams working on different tech. But the P3D crowd smell a conspiracy even though most of the recent new Orbx releases (not ports) are for P3D and JV promised this past week that most new content will be for P3D. Clearly the upcoming AustraliaV2 has taken a lot longer to produce than was planned, likely adding more and more features like photoreal areas, to make it a hybrid of sorts.

Why is everyone ignoring the big white elephant in the room? TE regions run superbly on XP11, but really badly on P3D (for now). Add to that P3D’s lack of proper autogen building scaling and the same TE regions just don’t look the same across sims. I very much doubt Orbx would pursue TE regions for XP11 if they were not selling.

I also do not understand why people are being critical of Orbx for pushing boundaries with new regions tech as hardware and storage improves, and new sims do a good job of it. For a measly $60 you can try XP11 and also the free TE GB demo to see for yourself. In fact Orbx recently ran a promo with Laminar to discount XP11 to make it even easier to try out.

i agree Olc Africa is very much overdue but I’d guess resources have been put back on it (Eugene leads OLC but was distracted with TE for Netherlands P3D), so if JV says it’s entering beta in a few weeks there is no reason to disbelieve him. If it’s not being previewed in June and not delivered in July then yes, I would smell a rat too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Glad to see this preview. While OrbX's AU was not my first purchase from them (Pacific Fjords was the one), I did eventually get it and loved it. The vastness of the continent is astounding. At their recent sale I also ended up buying lots of NZ to do some hops between the two countries. It's wonderful that AU is getting a makeover now, as it started to look a little bland empty compared to the intricate details of the likes of their more recent landclass-based regions. Really nice to see the added photoreal POIs, which, especially for the reefs, should look pristine. Not to mention the beautiful Melbourne cityscene! I can only hope that it will run well with YMML. By itself that airport was always kind of a FPS bummer. And even after all these years, the likes of YBBN are still pretty harsh on my rig. I guess only time will tell.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Good idea to buy Oz airports during their 50% may sale in preparation

ZORAN

2 hours ago, zmak said:

Good idea to buy Oz airports during their 50% may sale in preparation

and Holgermesh Papua New Guinea which is free.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

4 hours ago, fta2017 said:

So much misinformed conjecture...

If you bother to read the AustraliaV2 announcement you will see that the landclass regions team is unchanged from ten years ago, with Holger still at the helm. Holger has nothing to do with TE regions; those are led by TonyW. So there are different teams working on different tech. But the P3D crowd smell a conspiracy even though most of the recent new Orbx releases (not ports) are for P3D and JV promised this past week that most new content will be for P3D. Clearly the upcoming AustraliaV2 has taken a lot longer to produce than was planned, likely adding more and more features like photoreal areas, to make it a hybrid of sorts.

Why is everyone ignoring the big white elephant in the room? TE regions run superbly on XP11, but really badly on P3D (for now). Add to that P3D’s lack of proper autogen building scaling and the same TE regions just don’t look the same across sims. I very much doubt Orbx would pursue TE regions for XP11 if they were not selling.

I also do not understand why people are being critical of Orbx for pushing boundaries with new regions tech as hardware and storage improves, and new sims do a good job of it. For a measly $60 you can try XP11 and also the free TE GB demo to see for yourself. In fact Orbx recently ran a promo with Laminar to discount XP11 to make it even easier to try out.

i agree Olc Africa is very much overdue but I’d guess resources have been put back on it (Eugene leads OLC but was distracted with TE for Netherlands P3D), so if JV says it’s entering beta in a few weeks there is no reason to disbelieve him. If it’s not being previewed in June and not delivered in July then yes, I would smell a rat too.

Can I take my PMDG 747-400 -8 777 FSDT Flight beam ect with me or are ORBX done with the platforms that built them up to what they are today. oh and pay for my ORBX Scenery again, on a pension. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 5/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, fta2017 said:

Another month gone by.....Am I starting to smell something? 🤨

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X