Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

X-Plane 11 Lock Stock & Barrel!

Well, that was a pretty serious thing I just did; a MAJOR event on my simming PC...

After more than TWO DECADES of always having a Microsoft based flight simulator installed on my PC, starting with FS98, through FS2004, FSX, and all the various stages of P3D, up to and including v4.5, I've just UNINSTALLED both FSX and P3D, along with hundreds of freeware addons, and probably several thousand £s worth of payware addons!!!

Decided I could no longer justify (or even afford) to keep both FS platforms running, either in terms of addons, or drive space on my PC.  I made the choice, based on the fact that it surely has to be X-Plane that's moving forward, while the FSX/P3D platforms are almost archaic.

Sure, there'll be aspects of it I'll miss, especially things like PMDG aircraft, and some of the stunning scenery, but this has been coming a while, and certainly not a lightly made decision.

In total, the (almost criminal) act has released about 1.2Tb of drive space!  That's a lot of space, and a lot less headaches lol!

I now have more space for all my Ortho4XP data:-)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Time to change your signature 🙂

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

5 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Time to change your signature 🙂

Indeed it is Jude - All over the internet lol.....

No sooner said than done;-)

Edited by Dougal

Ha!  Nothing is ever quite straight forward is it....?

I was SO sure I'd done all my research and believed I'd have few, if any issues....

I use Flightsim Commander, and without a 'scenery.cfg' file I can't use Flightsim Commander.

Ah well, win some, lose some lol

I haven't deleted P3D yet - but I am seriously considering it.  The only thing holding me back is my ORBX European scenery.  I can't see myself using it very much any longer.

51 minutes ago, alderon57 said:

I haven't deleted P3D yet - but I am seriously considering it.  The only thing holding me back is my ORBX European scenery.  I can't see myself using it very much any longer.

I got to the point where each time I started a flight sim, it was almost always XP-11.  Especially with aircraft like the Zibo737.

I hear you about the Orbx scenery, but with Ortho4XP now so easy to install, it comes VERY close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dougal said:

Well, that was a pretty serious thing I just did; a MAJOR event on my simming PC...

Decided I could no longer justify (or even afford) to keep both FS platforms running, either in terms of addons, or drive space on my PC.  I made the choice, based on the fact that it surely has to be X-Plane that's moving forward, while the FSX/P3D platforms are almost archaic.

Sure, there'll be aspects of it I'll miss......

In total, the (almost criminal) act has released about 1.2Tb of drive space!  That's a lot of space, and a lot less headaches lol!

You've described the same feelings I had during uninstalling FSX/P3D pretty well.  But at the end of this "almost criminal act"  I've felt liberated and was astonished how much free disk space I got back on all of my 3 hard drives.

Because of its nature P3D/FSX had settled down on my system like an octopus (AppData/Roming Path-ProgramData Path-Documents Path-Root Menu Path-AppData Local Path...etc... )

And now with XPlane11 only one major root-menu path, and an extreme simple procedure of installing/uninstalling sceneries/addons compared to P3D...what a joy :tongue:.

Plus I've got enough disk space back for a huge DCS/Maps upgrade and more of its moduls alongside X-Plane11, without the need of buying new hardware...what a joy Nr. 2  :laugh:

What I'm missing in X-Plane:

• the P3D Avatar and his prospects of exploring scenery
  • the more accomplished AI Traffic of P3D
  • my whole bunch of FSX to P3D v4 converted missions - XPlane suffers great under lack of missions.
  • of course seasons and its textures

But overall performance and flight dynamics (basically the feeling of "beeing" in the air) of XPlane is significantly better; sloped runways; no more terrain elevation issues; extraordinary day-/night lightning system....

Well, make your own verdict  :happy:

All the very best.

Edited by KBUR
  • Like 1

KBUR - ditto.  If XP could also get some decent looking clouds, I would be in flight sim heaven...

1 hour ago, alderon57 said:

KBUR - ditto.  If XP could also get some decent looking clouds, I would be in flight sim heaven...

Patience... just a little while longer and we'll have more options for cloud depiction.

xEnviro has a new version pending, and ActiveSkyX is planning their own add-on for cloud depiction, maybe later this Summer. And probably several more free or payware  add-ons before long.

I think the weather add-on developers are waiting for the big move to Vulkan/Metal graphics API in X-Plane, which requires a change in how 3D graphics are rendered in the sim. No point in releasing anything now for OpenGL, which will still be supported for older plugins, but I expect anything new will use Vulkan/Metal graphics for (probably) increased performance and easier coding.

We should see the first betas from Laminar soon. Then a flood of new weather and other eye candy plugins after it's stable.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I switched over from p3d in the last month as well. Xplane is the future. Was shocked how detailed default airports and scenery is. No more seeing the world as it was in 2006 unless you want to throw a lot of $$$ 

Edited by sanh

I still run both...I just can't part with some old Realair aircraft...and all the Orbx scenery I enjoy for GA flight...and the weather generation.  

There certainly are tradeoffs for both sims

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If nothing changed in the sims (XP11 and P3Dv4) but all my addons were available equally for both, I could happily pick XP11 as my only sim with its pros and cons. That said, I have no problem sharing my time in those two sims plus some fun in ASF2. I've kept XP11 close to vanilla on addons so hard drive space isnt much of an issue. I dont foresee me going all in on only one sim for years and years to come if ever.

For those who have made the change to XP, I'm wondering how do you compare the flight planning process for the tubes (ie. not GA)?

I use PFPX and AivlaSoft EFB, and prefer to use them rather than Simbrief or any of the online planners for example - any comments on how/what can be used in the XP environment?  What about additional critical items such as uploading wind data into FMC/CDU in XP?  Is that something that can be done in XP too at this time?

Thanks in advance,

Subin. 

I've exclusively used XP11 in the past year, but I just can't see myself uninstalling FSX just yet. Too much invested work to merely tuck away in a storage folder.

37 minutes ago, Subs said:

For those who have made the change to XP, I'm wondering how do you compare the flight planning process for the tubes (ie. not GA)?

No difference. Onlineflightplanner.com, LittleNavMap and Windy.com for winds/temp aloft.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I still fly both (X-plane and P3D).  Until there is comprehensive ATC for X-Plane that fully interacts with AI traffic, and improved AI traffic, I can't fully part with P3D.  I also like the weather depiction in P3D better, but Xenviro sure has some great looking technology in the works for X-Plane.  Looking forward to their next release version.

Gerald

• Upvote 1