I have just read most of the topics about best monitor / tv for my rig....

Honeslty, what an absolute clusterF of information....so many different opinions and nothing solid to go by.

4 hours of reading and im still as confused as when I started 😩

30htz

60htz

vsync

hdmi / display port

resolution, wide screen, 16:9, 

2k, 4K, QLED, IP(?) panel..

samsung, benQ, , Phillips, Dell...

A new rig will be with me this week, so need to get on it and get a decent monitor, so I think I’ll just go to the store and buy the best I can afford.

(posted out of frustration....)

Luke Pype

Luke, none of that can be answered until I know your graphics card and available space.

For 4K you need a 1080Ti or equivalent or better. Do you have the space for a 40” TV? If so then there are plenty of suitable TVs but make sure it supports chroma 4:4:4 as that gives the crispest text. Remember you need to use Windows so text sharpness is important.

As for 30Hz or 60Hz that is personal preference. I tried 30 but mouse lag was poor so I stick to 60.

DP over HDMI is not important. Monitors tend to go with DP whereas TVs have HDMI.

Don't buy in a hurry. Remember the old saying. Buy in haste, repent in leisure. A good display will last years. I’m delighted with my BenQ.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray,

i seen a lot of your replies in the many threads, I read...and the uncalled for personal attacks...but hey 😁

unfortunaly i dnt have room for 40 inch, I think a 32 inch will be the right size for me...benQ to rich for me ray lol..

i have a 8 core i7 9700 paired with a 1080 ti 11GB, 32 gig ram.

Luke Pype

Hi Luke, okay, that rules out a tv. What is your budget? I assume you’re based in the U.K.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

budget= blown that well out the water on the PC lol.

not to sure to be honest, I’m about to go to a store and look at some in person, and round up the prices as to what I get in return. 

Never thought it would be a difficult decision but things has changed a lot in 2 years.

yes I’m in the Uk, EGGD.

Edited by MaDDogz

Luke Pype

There are a couple that might suit.

BENQ EW3270U or SAMSUNG LU32H850UMUXEN.

Both are around £400-450.

Reviews: https://thetechnologyman.com/benq-ew3270u-monitor-review-is-this-the-best-value-32-4k-hdr-monitor/

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1403738/samsung-u32e850r-review/page/0/1

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/samsung-u32e850r

The Samsung has FreeSync which only works with AMD cards but that shouldn’t prevent you using an Nvidia card. The Samsung is an older model with the price now much lower than that in the review.

Food for thought. 😉👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Luke, good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If i can chip in here, Luke, may I add that Ray has been a great help in me making my choices too re:new monitor.Not got it yet but I have a far better idea that I did before that thread where you so rightly state, he came under uncalled for flak.

• Upvote 1

If you're using a 32" screen you could get away with 1440p although you will sacrifice some sharpness it needs much less beefy hardware to drive it. Certainly at 27-28" 1440p is the sweet spot, 4K doesn't offer much noticeable improvement at that size. How close are you going to sit to the screen?

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Luke, good for the price but bear in mind it's a budget monitor so you get what you pay for. I didn't consider 28" as I thought you wanted 32". Bear in mind you have to use it for general Windows actions and even my 32" needs scaling of 150% to make things readable. I'm assuming you have Windows 10. If not, then don't go for 4K as W7 doesn't upscale well at all.

I don't go off Amazon reviews. You never know which are genuine and which aren't. It uses the oldest technology for the panel - TN. Have a read of the various types here. https://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/

Consider the screen size. 28" is not huge. Personally I'd go with 32" if you have the space. My choice would be the BenQ EW3270U because I consider them quality monitors. £140 more if you can justify it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

If you're using a 32" screen you could get away with 1440p although you will sacrifice some sharpness it needs much less beefy hardware to drive it. Certainly at 27-28" 1440p is the sweet spot, 4K doesn't offer much noticeable improvement at that size. How close are you going to sit to the screen?

With respect his 1080Ti would be wasted at 1440p. Mine at 4K only runs at 50% load. 1440 versus 2160 is a 50% increase in pixels. The difference would be very noticable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

...and as I get older, so does my eyes 😳, lol. So I think I need the sharper picture, with higher res.

Ray,thanks for the info, yes I will be running w10.

That is a nice monitor...didn’t really want to spend that much, but...a 2k rig with a cheap and cheerful display defeats the object I suppose, and I’d only regret it in the long term no doubt and cost more buying twice....

think ing ...😄

Luke Pype