4 minutes ago, MaDDogz said:

...and as I get older, so does my eyes 😳, lol. So I think I need the sharper picture, with higher res.

Ray,thanks for the info, yes I will be running w10.

That is a nice monitor...didn’t really want to spend that much, but...a 2k rig with a cheap and cheerful display defeats the object I suppose, and I’d only regret it in the long term no doubt and cost more buying twice....

think ing ...😄

That BenQ cost less than you paid for the 1080Ti and it will still be fine when that card needs changing for a more powerful one. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@Ray Proudfoot Oh yeah if OP has a 1080Ti it will manage 4K just fine. But if you're going to run 4K you really need a 32"+ monitor.

Whilst you might get a 50% increase pixel count, you're eye is physical incapable of seeing all those on a 27-28" screen at typical viewing distances of 0.7m, plus you have issues with the text getting very small. I know you can use DPI scaling and stuff but a lot of older software doesn't like that and the GUI and menus on some software get very small too. See https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/553082-p3d-v4-recommended-pc-specs/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-3996025

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@Ray Proudfoot Oh yeah if OP has a 1080Ti it will manage 4K just fine. But if you're going to run 4K you really need a 32"+ monitor.

Whilst you might get a 50% increase pixel count, you're eye is physical incapable of seeing all those on a 27-28" screen at typical viewing distances of 0.7m, plus you have issues with the text getting very small. I know you can use DPI scaling and stuff but a lot of older software doesn't like that and the GUI and menus on some software get very small too. See https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/553082-p3d-v4-recommended-pc-specs/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-3996025

I agree. I have some apps that don't scale very well at all in 4K but I just have to live with them. 28" will have a higher pixels per inch but you lose immersion with such a small display. I've seen 4K on a 50" TV and it's not as crisp as my 32" simply because the pixels are so spread out over a greater area. But its immersion is brilliant.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So what would the optimal res monitor then?

i want it sharp, but if 4K causes issues with the sim and apps, what’s the best all round res?

Luke Pype

4K is the way to go if you have the budget. But I really don't think 4K is worth the cost on a 27-28" screen, spend a bit more and go for 32"+ so you get the full benefit.

If you're after immersion, have you given any thought to a 34"+ 21:9 superwide at 3440x1440? You can get menu/GUI scaling issues with some software though.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 minute ago, ckyliu said:

4K is the way to go if you have the budget. But I really don't think it's worth it on a 27-28" screen, spend a bit more and go for 32"+ do you get the full benefit.

I concur. 4K/UHD is the way forward and when you see the detail in aircraft instruments you'll be pleased you switched. No issues with P3D at 4K. Just a few apps don't scale up very well so the interface is quite small. But you can switch to 1920*1080 for those of course providing you're not running P3D at the same time.

Personally I would have gone for a 36" UHD monitor but they don't make them. 32" is the max for good reason. Think of it as an investment that will last 10 years.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

4K is the way to go if you have the budget. But I really don't think 4K is worth the cost on a 27-28" screen, spend a bit more and go for 32"+ so you get the full benefit.

If you're after immersion, have you given any thought to a 34"+ 21:9 superwide at 3440x1440? You can get menu/GUI scaling issues with some software though.

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I concur. 4K/UHD is the way forward and when you see the detail in aircraft instruments you'll be pleased you switched. No issues with P3D at 4K. Just a few apps don't scale up very well so the interface is quite small. But you can switch to 1920*1080 for those of course providing you're not running P3D at the same time.

Personally I would have gone for a 36" UHD monitor but they don't make them. 32" is the max for good reason. Think of it as an investment that will last 10 years.

Thanks guys.

32” it is decided.

whats your opinion on other manufactures in this size range.?

Luke Pype

When I was picking monitors last year at 1440p, the BenQ EW3270ZL made my shortlist , the 4K version is EW3270U so you could look at some reviews for that?

£390 for the 4K 60 Hz VA version does 95% of PCI-P3 gamut and supports HDR10, 3000:1 contrast and has AMD Freesync. It's got an ambient light sensor too. It's a value monitor so you do make some sacrifices like HDR performance and the standard refresh rate, but you could spend four times as much on an Asus PA329Q

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

The LG 32UD59 is an alternative. It’s an older model so available for £358 at Amazon. Review here. https://www.monitornerds.com/lg-32ud59-b-review/

For your budget you’re not going to find much difference between the options. Just what appeals to you personally.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather