Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

Eagle Dynamics Developer Jailed

Although i know we have a dedicated DCS forum, i think this fits in here as well as its real-world related. May be an interesting read for all community members:

Eagle Dynamics developer gets arrested for buying F16 manuals and smuggling them to Russia:

https://www.standard.net/news/military/russian-jailed-in-weber-county-charged-with-smuggling-f-/article_b7055cb8-d770-5b23-bf66-785104ff5152.html

Edited by Woozie

Report on FSElite an Eagle Dynamics Developer has been jailed for buying a F-16 Manual for the development in DCS world.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Allegedly a little too keen to add realism into the product? That said, I am loath to believe that aircraft manufacturers permit licensing of data and manuals from their military aircraft programmes for consumer products, unless it is declassified and public-domain material from long-since retired aircraft such as the F-104 Starfighter, but I am not sure about the legalities of reproducing such accessible data for e.g. a consumer-based flight simulation product, or if one is permitted to use certain language which foregoes considerations of whether or not the developer had actually got his/her hands on real-world data and manuals (the use of such language as e.g. "tested by real pilots to confirm the accuracy of aircraft performance and handling characteristics" etc., but foregoing how such realism had been achieved). 

All that said, I am amazed by the complexity of e.g. the VRS Superbug (F/A-18E Hornet) but had better not ask how they achieved what they did!

Edited by LecLightning56
  • Like 1

This is the first arrest related to ED but there have rumors about the US government investigating ED as it being somehow connected to the Russian government. If anything, the exact opposite is the case as the Russian government probably isn't happy about the technical details of its own military aircraft being exposed publicly.

Edited by jabloomf1230

Sure seems like there's more to the story...the trouble and expense incurred to extradite him all the way from Georgia (the country, not the state 😉 ) suggests that there's more something more in play here.

Classification is a separate issue from exportability under the AECA.  Unclassified technical manuals for US military aircraft are still defined as "defense articles" under the act--even for obsolete acft that haven't flown in active service for years.  As such, US State Dept approval is required before transferring it to a foreign national. 

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

ED's statement now says he is an employee of ED however he had no part in the development of the F-16, therefore the F-16 project will not be affected. This individual acted on his own behalf and no ED sources were used to obtain the material. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I wonder what kind of joke is this when in our days you can buy a used F-16 with all the bells and whistles included, forget about the manuals.

And if is such a big deal how is that possible that "Then, on Wednesday, all charges against the Texan were dismissed."

As Bob mentioned there is more to the story here. It's funny how worried are people about manuals while it's ok to sell a fully operational F16.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/6706/israel-retires-the-f-16a-b-netz-and-puts-40-up-for-sale , plus other countries. 

Paranoia and misinformation is up and running at high speed to divert the attention from the real problems.

• Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

18 minutes ago, killthespam said:

And if is such a big deal how is that possible that "Then, on Wednesday, all charges against the Texan were dismissed."

Deferred adjudication, which in Texas is still bad news for the defendant.

18 minutes ago, killthespam said:

I wonder what kind of joke is this when in our days you can buy a used F-16 with all the bells and whistles included, forget about the manuals.

As Bob mentioned there is more to the story here. It's funny how worried are people about manuals while it's ok to sell a fully operational F16.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/6706/israel-retires-the-f-16a-b-netz-and-puts-40-up-for-sale , plus other countries. 

Paranoia and misinformation is up and running at high speed to divert the attention from the real problems.

Part of the agreement Israel (or any other Foreign Military Sales customer) signed when the US sold them the F-16s is that the USG has to approve any transfer to a third party.  So yes, they can sell those F-16s, but not to just anyone--only to a buyer that is vetted by the USG.  And before the transfer occurs, the new buyer has to sign nondisclosure agreements just the same as if we were selling them direct.

I'm thinking this guy may be their hook into something else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

It could be for Israel, not for UAE, SAUDI, INDIA PAKISTAN just a few to name.

I agree 100 % with "I'm thinking this guy may be their hook into something else". Maybe another escape goat or just another bad apple.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

It would be quite silly for ED to do something illegal, considering the long experience they had in working on developing modules for DCS, let alone building A-10 simulators for USAF itself.

Russian spy theories sound equally silly to me.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

2 hours ago, france89 said:

DCS, let alone building A-10 simulators for USAF

ED most likely never built simulators for the USAF. They did however develop a professional simulator (DTS) for training Air National Guard pilots. That simulator formed the basis for the A-10 simulation in DCS. See here:

https://www.quora.com/How-realistic-is-the-flight-simulation-DCS-A-10C-Warthog

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

ED most likely never built simulators for the USAF. They did however develop a professional simulator (DTS) for training Air National Guard pilots. That simulator formed the basis for the A-10 simulation in DCS. See here:

https://www.quora.com/How-realistic-is-the-flight-simulation-DCS-A-10C-Warthog

Okay, which is still a branch of USAF anyway, point stands.

The official page of ED business company, thebattlesim.com also states the following:

• A-10C DTT. Conversion trainer and procedural trainer for the A-10C PE program. Developed for Suite 5.1, this DTT has been deployed to all active duty, reserve, and ANG A-10C squadrons.
  • AC-130U DTT. Sensor and weapon operator procedures trainer for the USAF.
  • UAV Operator Station. Sensor suite developed for the A-10C PE DTT has also been used at Randolph AFB for UAV sensor operators training.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Yes there must be more to this, he seemed to be using 'Flight Sim Development' as a cover for other activity. Doesn't look good for him at all

Matthew Kane