Sign in to follow this  
GeeBee

P3D v4.5 Hotfix - Aliasing Increased ?

1 hour ago, pmanhart said:

Ever since dynamic lighting was released, I've avoided SSAA because of the massive hit to FPS using SSAA.

Like @pracines, I've been using 4xMSAA with FXAA with very little impact to FPS.

There is a slight blur added to the picture, inherent with using FXAA, but it's very slight and not as noticeable unless you are zoomed way out on a panel trying to read very small text.

FXAA makes cockpit displays and panels look like garbage, no matter what the zoom level is. Yes, it's probably worth the trade-off to get rid of the shimmering, but at the end of the day, P3D has the worst anti-aliasing options of any modern game. Just bad all around.

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

FXAA makes cockpit displays and panels look like garbage, no matter what the zoom level is. Yes, it's probably worth the trade-off to get rid of the shimmering, but at the end of the day, P3D has the worst anti-aliasing options of any modern game. Just bad all around.

Purely subjective Chapstick. Distance from instruments, changing the size of the text, needles, etc., directly correlates to how much of an effect FXAA has.

One man's garbage (trash) is another man's treasure.

Edited by pmanhart
  • Like 2

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

On 5/14/2019 at 2:39 PM, Dirk98 said:

There were many posts by savvy people I trust, that it was a myth on the current O/S as Win10 knows much better than you how to distribute the load for its own housekeeping. But enjoy what it runs best for you, of course. Just consider that there's no 'theoretical substation' for it in Win10.

You were right Dirk, after I did more benchmarking I realized my Affinity mask tweak was just a placebo effect, 4.5 just performs a bit better for me than 4.4 did, is stable for me as well.  I measured about ten to fifteen percent improvement, and more smoothness although I keep my fps locked at 35 or so.  I am not one to waste time on tweaking, my settings are as they are, they give me satisfaction with the sim in all of my add on aircraft, especially the Carenado Citation 550, my fav flyer in both P3D4.5 and Xplane11.34.  I still recommend both sims for those with room for both, and RealityXP for those who want a good flight management system that is befitting GA aircraft that support it in either sim.

I also recommend the latest Nvidia driver as well for both sims.

John

Edited by John_Cillis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:11 PM, MrSpeaker said:

That's funny I just turned on FXAA for the first time since getting p3d. It's very nice and smooths everything out. Not as blurry as it was when I used the first version p3d. 

FXAA still blurs out scenery badly. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I don't see any aliasing issues with 4.5HF except some smaller jaggies on PBR textures (PMDG 747 for example). But this was also present in 4.4./4.5.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).