Hey Matt and everyone,

I recently read about a rumor that big changes are on the way for PTA.  Can someone tell me more?  I tried EF. It's terrible.  Is PTA going to do something similar in the future?  P3D needs a good on-the-fly tweaking tool that actually works and doesn't break the sim. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Unless they plan on something like what REX does with textures, I'm going to assume you're talking about changing shaders/presets on the fly. This is already possible with P3D v4.5 but I believe you do need to bind a key to it. 

I already do that- what would be nice is if we were able to see the changes unfold in real-time.  I think if PTA or tomato would evolve into something like that, then it would be a lighter, more-reliable addon as opposed to EF.  Who knows what's possible:-)

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dal330200 said:

I already do that- what would be nice is if we were able to see the changes unfold in real-time.  I think if PTA or tomato would evolve into something like that, then it would be a lighter, more-reliable addon as opposed to EF.  Who knows what's possible:-)

You can assign a key to Reload Shaders in he control menu.

Make a change in PTA , save and apply.

Now Reload Shaders and you will see your change ..

That easy

Edited by GSalden

I do that.  But the process is still tedious as opposed to what REX offers- once they get the bugs worked out of EF.  Just curious if someone else was working on something similar, because who knows if and when EF will ever fully work.

I can't speak for other products but PTA v3 (we'll call it that for now, no actual name for it yet) is quite far in to a complete rewrite. You'll be able to modify shaders on the fly, no more having to tediously reload stuff after every tweak.

• Like 2

what EF is still offering in addition is a "Current weather -> automatic shader adjusments"  thing. but it seem to be a big blackbox that even the developper don't understand how it works.

8 hours ago, kenz said:

what EF is still offering in addition is a "Current weather -> automatic shader adjusments"  thing. but it seem to be a big blackbox that even the developper don't understand how it works.

With PTA you can incorporate automatic shader adjustments ( = expressions ) .  This is possible over 2 years now ...

sorry, did'nt knew that, are thos adjusment on the fly without restarting the sim ? are those adjustments based on actual in-sim weather ? thought this was a new revolutionnary feature and you're saying it's available since 2 years....?

5 hours ago, kenz said:

sorry, did'nt knew that, are thos adjusment on the fly without restarting the sim ? are those adjustments based on actual in-sim weather ? thought this was a new revolutionnary feature and you're saying it's available since 2 years....?

EF reads the weather and adjustable the Environment.

Shader Expressions read data from within P3D, like time of day, altitude, weather etc and adjusts the Environment .

Both in realtime..