Sign in to follow this  
argosafe

P3d lottery

Genuine question. Is it good or bad for our hobby to have a situation where updating the core programme is a lottery as to its outcome on our system? 

I'm also not sure I understand the question but P3D is software. Doesn't any software that requires updating have the potential of having adverse effects on systems?

• Upvote 1

Mario Di Lauro

Definitely because nothing to lose. You might not remember the times with FS10 (aka fsx) where you could end up with having to make a complete windows reinstall. That was an outcome to your system when something completely gone south.

With p3d you have a choice and it is unbelievable easy to switch from 4.4 to 4.5 and back. It even comes with a repair function. How awesome is that? Remember "format c:"...

• Upvote 1

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

20 minutes ago, argosafe said:

Genuine question. Is it good or bad for our hobby to have a situation where updating the core programme is a lottery as to its outcome on our system? 

You obviously don't work in IT...  There is a reason we have both change windows and a back out plan for every upgrade...  You think upgrading P3D is risky try upgrading 10,000 devices supporting 100,000 users when you're not sure if your configs are compatible, code is going to break something else on the network, upstream and downstream devices fail to communicate, welcome to IT... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

36 minutes ago, argosafe said:

Sigh,  Once again there are infinite combinations of each buyer's hardware that the core program runs on.  Then throw in the infinite combinations of addons, freeware, payware etc.   Now think to yourself how would make that run smoothly on every single buyers setup.   I'll see you in about 1000 years.    The key to your question is "our system".   I guarantee MY system is different from your system.   How the sim runs on MY system is MY responsibility from the first addon I throw on top of the base program.   Or how i adjust the sliders.  

I'm sure at this point you regret asking your question but take a step back and think about if you were on the other side of the development.  Same goes for Addon Devs.  

• Like 2

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I don’t think the OP’s original statement is 100% misguided and I think he is more specifically relating to performance. But no it’s not all that bad  

P3D is a bit of a performance lottery especially the first days of a new update and the add ons, but outside the sim, I play Civ6 and FIFA. Two games where performance is never an issue bc they are simple games but updates come with a whole host of other problems and you better believe people do not hold back. Some of it stupid and over the top. Some of it justified plus with those games you don’t get the option to roll back. Everyone is on the latest update day 0. 

So if LM gets around to updating the engine and performance/FPS becomes less of an issue, I promise it won’t change the fact that an update is a lottery for who is happy and who is not.  

How much is it? I want to buy one (or two, if possible. I'm not a Christian or a Muslim)! Pleas, reserve a lot for me🛐!

Edited by Wennerholm

3 hours ago, argosafe said:

It can be challenging for those of us who don't have the time or lack computer knowledge.

Where I work, we used to have I.T. guys who talked to us and helped us.  Then some manager decided to put our I.T and telephones into "The Cloud".  Now, nothing works half the time and I need to phone someone in India if I can't print my time sheet.

It's just the way things are going - I've decided to go with the flow and try to learn I.T (and finish my PPL!)

All the best,

Dave.

i can see this just being a gripe session so let's move it along........

Vic

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors