Sign in to follow this  
LH340fan

Which FSDT cargo hub?

Hi all, I know it may not be xmas yet, but i feel the need for more freighter in my life. I currently fly mostly pax and sometimes cargo. However, i feel like i lack one thing: a US cargo hub.

Now, FSDT offers a not so expensive product (actually two)

In one hand, we got KMEM, with tons of features and definetely a lot of routes with fedex. There is some pax activity with DAL too.

In the other hand, we got KSDF with the ups team.

Since there's no real proper md-11 or 767 in v4 i fly the 747 and 777 and eventually the ugh-like CLS dc-10.

What should I get??

With regards, Charly

I have FSDT's KSDF, it's very nice, I can recommend it. I have KDFW as well, also very nice.

KMEM is obviously a huge cargo hub, but in an earlier thread I started there were quite a few users that mentioned it can be hard on performance. See the thread here for more info...

Hope this helps.

17 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

I have FSDT's KSDF, it's very nice, I can recommend it. I have KDFW as well, also very nice.

KMEM is obviously a huge cargo hub, but in an earlier thread I started there were quite a few users that mentioned it can be hard on performance. See the thread here for more info...

Hope this helps.

oh, well thanks! I'll wait to get more answers about both, cuz i can't decide! 

2 hours ago, LH340fan said:

and eventually the ugh-like CLS dc-10.

It can be made less ugh-like with some mods (FMC etc.)

If you are into non-USA cargo locations, the new FlightBeam SEQM has a pretty large cargo area, handling the largest cargo aircraft.  LatinVFR's KMIA is a big cargo airport as well.

• Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 minute ago, Mace said:

If you are into non-USA cargo locations, the new FlightBeam SEQM has a pretty large cargo area, handling the largest cargo aircraft.  LatinVFR's KMIA is a big cargo airport as well.

+1 on LatinVFR KMIA, I had forgotten about that one, but you are right, it's a fine scenery add on, and KMIA ranks about #5 in the rankings for US cargo hubs as I recall.

Well you have choices, which is always great to have!!!

FedEx: 777, 767, 757, MD11, MD10, ATRs C208s (And still ordering 777, 767s. Some of the converted DC10s are older than I am and are being retired. FDX bought TNT and I'm not sure what they did with TNT's 737s.)

UPS: 747, 767, 757, A300, MD11. I'm not sure about their retiring of the MDs. I do know they are trying to get more 74s

In the end it's up to you! Want that 74 for cargo? Then KSDF and UPS. Want a 777, then KMEM and FDX. Neither choice is bad and you can save and have both!

• Upvote 1

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

37 minutes ago, Mace said:

actually what i meant was "single op" airport. Thing is i have great pax airports like MIA that have freighter activity so i found out it would be interesting as cargo doesn'tt work in the same "scheduled" flights as for pax

5 hours ago, LH340fan said:

Hi all, I know it may not be xmas yet, but i feel the need for more freighter in my life. I currently fly mostly pax and sometimes cargo. However, i feel like i lack one thing: a US cargo hub.

Like you, I recently felt the need for some FREIGHT DOG work after buying the QW 757 with the awesome looking cargo liveries and available options with the 757 freighters.  I have both payware  KMEM and KSDF and enjoy them a lot.  As a big fan of VAs i checked a few and decided on www.upsvac.com .  As a new pilot with upsvac, I can only say they are very organized, a good choice oi ACARS software to use, and tons of activity daily.  I like them and look forward to working for them in the future.  Hope this input helps your decision !  Good luck 😎

WAT1460.png

14 hours ago, LH340fan said:

actually what i meant was "single op" airport. Thing is i have great pax airports like MIA that have freighter activity so i found out it would be interesting as cargo doesn'tt work in the same "scheduled" flights as for pax

Well, neither KSDF or KMEM are 'single op', mind you, as both have passenger terminals that receive pax traffic. In that sense, KMEM is probably the busier of the too, and KSDF may be more up your alley. But I agree with SKEWR: It sort of depends what aircraft you'd prefer to fly more. Your 777 goes well with FedEx, and thus KMEM, while the 747 would work well with UPS and KSDF. Both airports are nice, but as was said, KMEM can be a bit hard on performance. I haven't tried turning some of the detail off through YouControl, but may do it next time I fly there, to see how it changes performance. KSDF has usually worked quite well for me as-is.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Actually, which one do you think i'll get the most use out of, since i typically fly continental routes or overseas that are like more than 6 hours? And also which one has like the most "large" spots? I wonder because if i remember well FDX doesn't have that many 777s.

7 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Well, neither KSDF or KMEM are 'single op', mind you, as both have passenger terminals that receive pax traffic. In that sense, KMEM is probably the busier of the too, and KSDF may be more up your alley. But I agree with SKEWR: It sort of depends what aircraft you'd prefer to fly more. Your 777 goes well with FedEx, and thus KMEM, while the 747 would work well with UPS and KSDF. Both airports are nice, but as was said, KMEM can be a bit hard on performance. I haven't tried turning some of the detail off through YouControl, but may do it next time I fly there, to see how it changes performance. KSDF has usually worked quite well for me as-is.

I agree with Ben here, but I should point out that the PAX terminal at KSDF is very small compared to KMEM.

Obviously cargo ops are the main focus of both airports to a massive degree, but KMEM (performance issues aside) handles considerably more PAX traffic than KSDF does, and the sheer number of jetway equipped gates at KMEM reflect this.

It's a tough choice. Look at as many reviews/screenshots/videos as you can before deciding, and then make a choice based on your impressions, and your simming needs/requirements.

FDX is buying more and more 777s and 767s. FDX flies several routes to China and I believe to STN. As I said before there was an article in cargo world (I think that was the name) that mentioned that UPS found the 747 would be profitable. Both companies are phasing out the old MDs.

Routes (long and short) are fairly easy to find. Unlike airlines, the cargo companies can/will use widebodies for "short flights". EWR to IND, EWR to MEM, EWR SDF EWR ATL (Only speaking of routes I've witnessed using widebody aircraft) I'm not sure what side of the "realism" fence you sit on, but almost no cargo widebody route is invalid if it originates or terminates from one of its hubs. 

Large spots usually depend on the scenery developer (If I'm reading your post right). You can also edit the parking space with ADE software or GSX. I know there is a parking gate map on the FSDT forum for FDX in MEM,

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

2 hours ago, UAL4life said:

Why not both? 😛

cuz i'm broke lol

4 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

It's a tough choice. Look at as many reviews/screenshots/videos as you can before deciding, and then make a choice based on your impressions, and your simming needs/requirements.

Reviews ? Screnshots ? Videos ? Why, when all FSDT sceneries are available in Trial version, with the download always freely available ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1