Sign in to follow this  
LH340fan

Which FSDT cargo hub?

On 5/15/2019 at 12:26 PM, SKEWR said:

Well you have choices, which is always great to have!!!

FedEx: 777, 767, 757, MD11, MD10, ATRs C208s (And still ordering 777, 767s. Some of the converted DC10s are older than I am and are being retired. FDX bought TNT and I'm not sure what they did with TNT's 737s.)

Fedex also still has quite a few A300-600's in active service.
Last time I checked, their oldest MD10/DC10 is exactly my age, almost to the day.  I wonder if that MD10 has back problems like me  :)

Another cargo hub with scenery I forgot about was PANC - Anchorage Ted Stevens.

Viracopos SBKP is another mostly-cargo airport.  It's in Brazil.  Paulo Ricardo just released this scenery for v4 not long ago.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, virtuali said:

Reviews ? Screnshots ? Videos ? Why, when all FSDT sceneries are available in Trial version, with the download always freely available ?

Yes, he could do that as well, sorry, I had forgotten about that..😯

7 hours ago, LH340fan said:

cuz i'm broke lol

Why not KDFW. They have large UPS, FedEx and other intl cargo area. I addition to lots of international cargo routes.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

First i'll thank you for helping me decide on this tough choice. I think i might go for the fedex hub as i like them a bit more and the airport seems a bit larger, but i'll need to test it first, cuz my pc aint no beast. The objective of this is to find THE cargo hub in the us that mostly does cargo but not only; is quite up to date as per modelling and works well. Owning several scenery like UUBB,OMDB,PANC and EHAM as well as ELLX of course already makes for a lot of routes, even with no md-11 in my gang to this day.

KMEM you have 777 ops and peak times like holiday season there are 747 charters helping FedEx on some routes. FedEx flys domestically many routes in the 777, Phoenix on occasion, Seattle, Newark, Anchorage. International to destinations such as Cologne, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Dubai, London Stansted.

UPS and the 747 are more limited but they fly to Anchorage and Ontario mostly with International flights to Cologne and Dubai regularly.

I would pick Memphis and the variety of 777 routes will be more fun then come the holidays the end of this year you will have Atlas and other 747 operators filling in for extra lift.

I’d say you can’t go wrong with either SDF or MEM, to me your question is whether you want to fly more UPS or Fedex.  

But as Umberto says both can be tried with a free demo so no harm in checking both out.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Aerosoft's PANC is quite beautiful, especially coupled with the OrbX Alaska scenery.

Thanks to all of you for the precious info you gave me on this topic. After several tests, and discovering some quarks and issues with both sceneries I could correct (dyn. lighting for KMEM for instance) I decided to finally go with KMEM. It may not be as feature-filled as KSDF with the weird conveyor system but it offers IMO more routes; specially to PANC i already have and which is BTW a nice airport and several intl airports like ZBAA or even south american hubs. FPS are fine for me, even with the PMDG T7,  which is nice to know. Let's hope we do get a "more realistic" MD-11 someday for V4 or even V5. Now I just need to wait for the money to come at the end of the month, and i'll be happy flying from and to this scenery. 

In fact, one flight that particularly made me choose this hub is the KATL-KMEM with the maddog x. With so few routes to KSDF as pax and a bit more from KMEM with delta it should be considered.

quick review pros/cons of kmem

PROS:

-nice mesh

-nice buildings and textures (not too plain but not cartoony)

-a well done gsx config

-good FPS (on my potato)

-a price that doesn't seem so high for scenery

-TONS of routes with Fedex

CONS:

-dynamic lighting issue (no ground reverb of teh lights at night) but there's a INIbuids fix for it

-lack of "ultimate" tech / no rain ground effects, no PBR or such tech

-some people seem to get bad fps, not my case though, even if when having all lights on with the maddog it does get somewhat ugh.

Glad you could make a decision. Have fun! they are both nice addons anyway and you really couldn't go wrong with either. Your reasoning seems sound - as a matter of fact, I've been looking into getting the 777 for some time now, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Would be fun to fly it on cargo hauls from KMEM!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

7 hours ago, LH340fan said:

-dynamic lighting issue (no ground reverb of teh lights at night) but there's a INIbuids fix for it

What / where is this fix you mention?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

20 hours ago, Mace said:

What / where is this fix you mention?

it's on INIbuilds website.

The airstairs on the UPS parking spots at KSDF have been broken for a long time...Umberto posted in their forums that it'd be fixed in the next GSX update, but that was four months ago.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 5/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, LH340fan said:

-lack of "ultimate" tech / no rain ground effects, no PBR or such tech

Although KMEM was released 3 years ago, it has the following "ultimate" tech that nobody else has yet:

- Rain effects with TIMED water puddles that, instead of just appearing/disappearing instantly, stay for some time *after* it stopped raining.

- A custom collision system which is far more advanced then any other scenery out there, which allows things like the airplane nose or wings possibly colliding into a pole or a wall, without crashing. The custom collision system also allows special optimizations nobody else can do, like animated cars that starts their animations (which might be heavy on fps) only if the airplane is inside a specific perimeter, so it's not just a plain range, but a carefully optimized polygon that follows the terminal profile.

- A Control Tower which can be visited in Avatar mode, with doors that open/close when you step in, and a working elevator. And with the tower internals with stairs and railings that can be climbed and act like real walls, thanks to the custom collision system. And with animated monitors. And with 5.1 positional audio effects, so you'll be able to hear chat coming from the *actual* position of the chairs the tower people is sitting, random telephone calls, random computer keyboard presses, ALL in full 3D positional audio, if you have the equipment. This doesn't cost ANYTHING on fps, since the Tower internal is not loaded until you are very close to it, of course.

- The positional audio continue on the outside, in various places, like the Cirrus service center or the Wilson Air Center

- You can open/close several hangars, including the large FedEx, which will play its animation and sounds, and you can even turn on/off the lights in it, and also climb on the stairs that are inside of it, thanks to the custom collision system. 

- You can use the YouControl menu to Warp the airplane or the Avatar to several interesting places, and controls several options in the scenery.

Yes, maybe KMEM still lacks the "in your face" effects granted by PBR, but other than that, it's as "ultimate" tech as you can get. Maybe even too much...

• Like 1

Dear Virtuali, don't take my comment as an offense. It was a late made, quick review of the demo, with my eyes looking at certain things like performance or shadows. I didn't test the airport in all conditions because i didn't have the time. I just wanted to give people some sort of a quick opinion, so don't take it bad. I'm not saying scenery is bad, i'm only saying it does not have certain features latest releases have, and it is 100% understandable.