Recommended Posts

I am tasked with building a computer for a large simulator setup. My budget is $10,000. What is the most powerful setup I can build? Thank you for any help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

What is a "large simulator setup"?

Multiple screens?  Multiple PCs??

The kind of "powerful rigs" that users here talk about are typically overclocked i7-8086K processors with GTX 2080ti video cards..

High end Z390 motherboard with 16-32 GB of fast RAM, and a 1 TB fast SSD (or several smaller ones)..

Read this:

 

Edited by Bert Pieke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i7-8086K processors with GTX 2080ti video cards Average bottleneck percentage: 6.01%

Graphic card and processor will work great together

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.00GHz (Clock speed at 100%) with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce only 6.01% of bottleneck.

i9-9900K processors with GTX 2080ti video cards Average bottleneck percentage: 0.04%

Graphic card and processor will work great together

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz (Clock speed at 100%) with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce only 0.04% of bottleneck.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti will need at least 32GB of RAM to work well. Memory should be splitted in 2 sticks if your motherboard supports dual-channel memory layouts, otherwise in 1 stick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, killthespam said:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Clock speed at 100%) 

The difference is up to 30% on RTX 2080TI , example a std 102 gpu with poor cooling and low boostclock compared with a A1 chip with good cooling.

4 hours ago, killthespam said:

i7-8086K processors with GTX 2080ti video cards Average bottleneck percentage: 6.01%

i9-9900K processors with GTX 2080ti video cards Average bottleneck percentage: 0.04%

The 2080TI works good in P3D XP11 even with a 4790k has noting to do with the GPU, P3D in cpu bound senario even a 9900k at +5.5ghz is bottlenecked by a 1070 , in heavy gpu bound senario the 2080TI can be bottlenecked by a 4790k.

4 hours ago, killthespam said:

 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti will need at least 32GB of RAM to work well. Memory should be splitted in 2 sticks if your motherboard supports dual-channel memory layouts, otherwise in 1 stick.

The RTX 2080TI has nothing to do with system memory ,its nonsense that a RTX 2080TI need 32gb system memory even runing SLI (NVLink) with X8 pcie lanes Z390 the difference to run 2X16 lanes is inside 2% on a 2080TI .

Its fine to run 16GB system memory on a RTX 2080TI

Edited by westman
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had both CPUs and when I switched to I9 9900K I would say that what they claim is correct and very noticeable (jump from 6.01 % down to 0.04% bottleneck it's huge, to be honest, I did not measure but noticed the difference is there). 

I wished I knew at that time about this https://pc-builds.com/calculator/#home to make a comparison. Regarding the memory, I had initially 16 but when I upgraded to 32 I noticed also some performance gain.

Why I have no idea they claim that RTX 2080TI  will run better with 32 GB computer system memory especially when my system resources show only about 6 GB of the system memory being used either way having 16, 32 or 64.

Now, when you run the same scenario with 4790K your bottleneck is 36% (versus 6% or 0.04%) and they claim that the processor is too weak for the same graphics card and actually they suggest different CPUs.

Edited by killthespam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, killthespam said:

I had both CPUs and when I switched to I9 9900K I would say that what they claim is correct and very noticeable (jump from 6.01 % down to 0.04% bottleneck it's huge, to be honest, I did not measure but noticed the difference is there). 

I wished I knew at that time about this https://pc-builds.com/calculator/#home to make a comparison. Regarding the memory, I had initially 16 but when I upgraded to 32 I noticed also some performance gain.

Why I have no idea they claim that RTX 2080TI  will run better with 32 GB computer system memory especially when my system resources show only about 6 GB of the system memory being used either way having 16, 32 or 64.

Now, when you run the same scenario with 4790K your bottleneck is 36% (versus 6% or 0.04%) and they claim that the processor is too weak for the same graphics card and actually they suggest different CPUs.

You can lock in 3DM TimeSpy 9900K 2X 2080TI i run 16gb system memory on 2x 2080TI and if you search on the UL you find that my result is the fastest 9900k with 2X2080TI and 16 gb system mem

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6979937

Run my tested setups with this bottleneck calc , it not show what happens in P3D example 7980XE and 9900k 

Edited by westman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, it looks more detailed than what I was suggesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This "Bottleneck calculator" is dubious at best.. if you overclock your CPU the calculator does not apply.. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not knowing anything about your project it's difficult to say, but don't overlook a dual processor motherboard (Windows 10 Pro will run it).  The price isn't bad at all.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119064&cm_sp=SearchSuccess-_-INFOCARD-_-dual+processor+motherboard+i7-_-13-119-064-_-1&Description=dual+processor+motherboard+i7

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the help everyone. My build will be with an i9, RTX 2080ti in SLI, 32GB of fast RAM. I will be overclocking the i9 extensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben Cap said:

Thank you for the help everyone. My build will be with an i9, RTX 2080ti in SLI, 32GB of fast RAM. I will be overclocking the i9 extensively.

You're wasting $1000+ on this setup.  SLI is basically dead at this point.  Any number of flight sim add-on vendors do not support it, and any future update could break it.  Nvidia themselves barely support it anymore.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

You're wasting $1000+ on this setup.  SLI is basically dead at this point.  Any number of flight sim add-on vendors do not support it, and any future update could break it.  Nvidia themselves barely support it anymore.  

True, therfore a run a Single Galax RTX2080TI OC Lab , very good Card

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, westman said:

True, therfore a run a Single Galax RTX2080TI OC Lab , very good Card

That is a very nice card.  Did you have to go on the waiting list or were you able to get one from the initial production run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

That is a very nice card.  Did you have to go on the waiting list or were you able to get one from the initial production run?

I have 3 cards 2 x with samsung mems and one with micron, get the micron early then Rauf send me 2x ES samsung cards.

2000w powertarget tools can run them at 2200mhz AIO at 1.2v 2100 on mems, they boost 2055 with no OC 

Edited by westman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, westman said:

I have 3 cards 2 x with samsung mems and one with micron, get the micron early then Rauf send me 2x ES samsung cards 

How well does the GDDR6 OC on the cards with Samsung BGAs?  What's the part number?

Edited by TechguyMaxC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

You're wasting $1000+ on this setup.  SLI is basically dead at this point.  Any number of flight sim add-on vendors do not support it, and any future update could break it.  Nvidia themselves barely support it anymore.  

I need massive GPU horsepower. PC will be outputting to 3 4k projectors.

Would a single RTX Titan be a better choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ben Cap said:

I need massive GPU horsepower. PC will be outputting to 3 4k projectors.

Would a single RTX Titan be a better choice?

In all likelihood.  You may want to try out a 2080 Ti first and see if 11GB VRAM is sufficient.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

In all likelihood.  You may want to try out a 2080 Ti first and see if 11GB VRAM is sufficient.  

I will talk to my superiors and try all three configurations. RTX Titan, RTX 2080ti Nvlink, RTX2080ti OC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

How well does the GDDR6 OC on the cards with Samsung BGAs?  What's the part number?

2100mhz , but cooler then the micron , partnumber is black nothing think its kind of ES chips from samsung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, westman said:

2100mhz , but cooler then the micron , partnumber is black nothing think its kind of ES chips from samsung

The part number isn't silk-screened on the BGAs?  Interesting.  I wonder if Galax did that on purpose.

There's a rumor of RTX cards with higher clocked GDDR6 releasing when Navi is announced, likely these would use Samsung ICs so I wonder if Galax has gotten ahold of some Samsung GDDR6 in advance of this move, or if they went behind NV's back and sourced it themselves.

Edited by TechguyMaxC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, Bert Pieke said:

This "Bottleneck calculator" is dubious at best.. if you overclock your CPU the calculator does not apply.. :unsure:

 

Overclocking is in the advanced section at the bottom. But yes, I agree, dubious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now