Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

V4.5 : what has happened to Locked framerate ?

Is this thread about CPU load or locked fps?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

7 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Steve W is going to test this and will let me know. I will post the conclusion then in this thread...

If one can shed light on this subject then its Steve!

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

Is this thread about CPU load or locked fps?

This is about getting 100% main core load on the cpu when using a Locked Framerate.

Even with all settings to the left + Locked at 10 fps the main thread core has a 100% load 

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

7 hours ago, GSalden said:

A look ahead buffer should not cause this...

Why not?  It requires CPU cycles.

Greg

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, GSalden said:

This is about getting 100% main core load on the cpu when using a Locked Framerate.

Even with all settings to the left + Locked at 10 fps the main thread core has a 100% load 

That's incredible. That can't be good for our OC CPUs.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Confirmed,

With or without AM setting. 

Process Lasso can't do a thing about it either. With or without PL, same result.

It appears something got broken in the quest for better performance/FPS. 

No doubt, 4.5 w/Hotfix I'm getting about 5-10 more FPS over 4.4 - obviously at a cost. I hope this can be fixed w/o the sacrifice of the extra FPS 4.5 brought me. 

I have all the latest drivers and windows updates installed as of today.

Hmm so far as i am reading your findings makes me wanna stay a little bit more on 4.4. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

I am still on rather old drivers but they do the job in 4.4

Will kill the time in the FSL A320 a bit. 

Michael Moe 

• Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Same here - as of 4.5 HF CPU 0 is constantly close or at 100%. 

Unlimited frames in P3D but 1/2 adaptive refresh rate and 30 frames set in NVI.

Before, CPU 0 was within a comfortable  65-95% range...

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |

3 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Hmm so far as i am reading your findings makes me wanna stay a little bit more on 4.4. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

I am still on rather old drivers but they do the job in 4.4

Will kill the time in the FSL A320 a bit. 

Michael Moe 

Me to Michael, glad am still on 4.4. At this rate, it will stay like that way. FSL has confirmed the new update will be fine with 4.4. I don't see anything in 4.5 that makes me want to upgrade and if the small increase in FPS is at the cost of core 0 at 100% all the time then....no thanks.

Thanks, guys for finding and sharing this info.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

It doesn’t matter if all sliders are set to the left and Locked framerate at 10 , core 0 ( main thread ) has  100% load.

Using Unlimited shows a 92%  load with very high settings and 95+  fos, while with Vsync on ( 25 hertz / 2 4K displays in NVSurround with Distortion correction ) load drops to 67%.

As Uimited + Vsync still show some jumping up fps ( 50/100/ back to 25 ) , in V4.4 I also used Locked at 30 to avoid that.

When doing that with V4.5 because of the Locked framerate too there is this 100% load .

Therefore I started to test with my 2 pc’s and found out that with Locked framerate , regardless of the settings , the main core shows a load of 100% which causes micro stutters ..

Please cross post to the P3D forum. At the very least, it gives them a heads up on this potential issue.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

I don't want to be accused of alchemy, but I have discovered a tool from Bitsum (the same people as Process Lasso) called CorePrio (freeware, check the Bitsum website) which does something interesting on the subject of the problem observed with core 0 at 100%.

I am only basing my findings on e.g. the default F-22 at KVPS, but when I start the sim with the aircraft on the ground, core 0 is at 100%. If you then set the CPU affinity in CorePrio to exclude core 0 for Prepar3D.exe, core 0 drops down from 100% to say 60-70% approximately and I gain about 10 fps for the bargain. Note that this is not a permanent affinity to always exclude core 0 but a dynamic affinity and this may explain why Process Lasso by itself may not be able to achieve the desired results. I have mentioned CorePrio before on the AvSim forums and I would agree that although it may have been designed around AMD processors, it certainly seems to operate on Intel processors. I cannot vouch for the performance of CorePrio on more recent Intel processors (mine is rather old, an i7 875K, but I do manage to do some modest overclocking using the Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility). CorePrio was recommended to me by the developer of Process Lasso.

Edited by LecLightning56

You can always use the Windows Task Manager to set/change Affinity for the Prepar3d process in real time..:cool:

Bert

14 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can always use the Windows Task Manager to set/change Affinity for the Prepar3d process in real time..:cool:

I cannot pretend to understand the nerdy gobbledygook associated with how CorePrio works except that it works dynamically rather than using permanent affinity settings. This is something that Windows Task Manager cannot do.

My conclusion for my own particular system is that it is this dynamic behaviour which works the magic, presumably making reference to core 0 as and when the load on the system demands it (a dynamic affinity).

Already posted this at the LM forum with a link to this thread.

Please post your experience too as it will help . Thanks !

Here the link http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=133690

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

I cannot pretend to understand the nerdy gobbledygook associated with how CorePrio works except that it works dynamically rather than using permanent affinity settings. This is something that Windows Task Manager cannot do.

My conclusion for my own particular system is that it is this dynamic behaviour which works the magic, presumably making reference to core 0 as and when the load on the system demands it (a dynamic affinity).

Interesting... With HT set to ON on my 4770K, I find that keeping Core0 empty all the time gives the main P3D thread on Core1 the breathing room that it likes to have.. but every system is truly different in this regard.. number of CPU cores, HT on or off, other addons... etc etc 

Bert