Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

V4.5 : what has happened to Locked framerate ?

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

Big difference here.. Scenery loading pauses, where the display stops for a fraction of a second or longer, are one thing and common, especially in heavy scenery like OrbX SoCal...

Microstutters while flying, especially when looking out to the side, ala "Fluidity" or lack there of, are what I thought we were discussing.. No?

My concern was (and it wasn't fully clear in this thread) that 4.5's cpu usage also induced pauses as well.

If it does not, that is good, I can focus on microstutters solely.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 minute ago, Mace said:

My concern was (and it wasn't fully clear in this thread) that 4.5's cpu usage also induced pauses as well.

If it does not, that is good, I can focus on microstutters solely.

There are just a lot of imprecise observations being offered up here.. 

• Upvote 1

Bert

58 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

Much like @LecLightning56 stated, you can get a more normal core 0 usage from BitSum products. What I do is load up into the sim (plane and airport). Then look at process lasso. You'll see your core 0 usage at 100%. Then click on the P3D process and change the current CPU affinity and disallow cores 0 and 1. You'll see the core usage on core 0 drop/ Wait about 10 seconds, then set the affinity so that all cores are used. You should then see all cores pick up.

Confirmed, thank you.

I never had to do this before in V4, before 4.5 - I think somebody would have caught  this long ago.

1 hour ago, SKEWR said:

Much like @LecLightning56 stated, you can get a more normal core 0 usage from BitSum products. What I do is load up into the sim (plane and airport). Then look at process lasso. You'll see your core 0 usage at 100%. Then click on the P3D process and change the current CPU affinity and disallow cores 0 and 1. You'll see the core usage on core 0 drop/ Wait about 10 seconds, then set the affinity so that all cores are used. You should then see all cores pick up.

I only do understand a small percentage of the tech speak, however, isn't that equivalent to the age-old trick to open Task Manager, deactivate core 0 (or any other one) of Prepar3d, quit, open it again and reenable core 0. Which Lockheed Martin's Beau Hollis decidely adviced against as it would destroy the intended Prepar3d task handling?

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

@pmb I've never seen that article so its very hard for me to agree. What I will confirm is that this method has given me a few frames and smoothness (the latter being subjective of course).

I'll try to find some time to execute a flight with the method I posted and without to see how it goes.

Thank you for the head's up!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Me to Michael, glad am still on 4.4. At this rate, it will stay like that way. FSL has confirmed the new update will be fine with 4.4. I don't see anything in 4.5 that makes me want to upgrade and if the small increase in FPS is at the cost of core 0 at 100% all the time then....no thanks.

Thanks, guys for finding and sharing this info.

Well don't have the urge to go for 4.5 HF1 at this point still on 4.4 🙂

• Like 3

André

6 minutes ago, awf said:

Well don't have the urge to go for 4.5 HF1 at this point still on 4.4 🙂

You must not fly at night much.😉

4.4 and 4.5 at night is quite a big difference.

10 minutes ago, pmb said:

I only do understand a small percentage of the tech speak, however, isn't that equivalent to the age-old trick to open Task Manager, deactivate core 0 (or any other one) of Prepar3d, quit, open it again and reenable core 0. Which Lockheed Martin's Beau Hollis decidely adviced against as it would destroy the intended Prepar3d task handling?

Kind regards, Michael

QFT. 👍

Of course, I've tried this trick, and P3Dv4 always ran badly when I did.  A stuttering, long frame mess even when I pulled all sliders to the left.  It was clear to me that something very important in the sim got hosed (maybe... task handing) when I "balanced" the core loads using the Task Manager trick.

Greg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lownslo said:

QFT. 👍

Of course, I've tried this trick, and P3Dv4 always ran badly when I did.  A stuttering, long frame mess even when I pulled all sliders to the left.  It was clear to me that something very important in the sim got hosed (maybe... task handing) when I "balanced" the core loads using the Task Manager trick.

Greg

Based on the tech discussion, it may actually be the Windows Scheduler that gets "hosed" to use your term.. either way, some folks swear by this and believe that any method to get Core0 usage reduced is desirable.. and others that believe that there may be unintended consequences when you go mucking around in the way that LM and Microsoft have designed their respective platforms.. I just aim for "fluid flight" and right now, with an Affinity Mask keeping P3D's first core reserved for P3D only, I get great fluid flight on the "unlimited fps" setting...

Bert

48 minutes ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

That is a “snakeoil” trick that confuses the Task Manager so it is not accurate anymore...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

45 minutes ago, pracines said:

You must not fly at night much.😉

4.4 and 4.5 at night is quite a big difference.

I don't fly at night at all, dawn-dusk I try to catch but never night.

I thought I would spend an hour doing my own tests with 4.4 or should I say re-doing them.

I have 4 core with HT ON.

I run P3D only on main cores with an AM 85, everything else runs on 1/3/5/7 

FSL A320 FPS locked at 26 within P3D with FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

Taking off from EGNX flying down to EGLL (simwings) keeping at hight of 10,000ft GS 355, turning to 090 passed EGLL to the London Dome, 180 back to EGLL. All smooth as silk apart from a small long frame to load EGLL around 12 miles out.

FPS not once dropped below my 26 lock. CPU usage 55-70% maxing out around 90-95% normally around 65-70% all the time.

4.4 thank you.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

I cannot pretend to understand the nerdy gobbledygook associated with how CorePrio works except that it works dynamically rather than using permanent affinity settings. This is something that Windows Task Manager cannot do.

CorePrio seems to be for AMD processors only. Is that right? Or is there more than one website? https://bitsum.com/portfolio/coreprio/?

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson
  • Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

1 minute ago, GSalden said:

That is a “snakeoil” trick that confuses the Task Manager so it is not accurate anymore...

Maybe it's that. Just for reference, I found the original reply, which was not by Beau Hollis but Zach Heylmun:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=13767&hilit=task+manager

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=13767&hilit=task+manager&start=15

It's from 2014 and things may have changed, but I doubt it.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

19 minutes ago, pmb said:

Maybe it's that. Just for reference, I found the original reply, which was not by Beau Hollis but Zach Heylmun:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=13767&hilit=task+manager

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=13767&hilit=task+manager&start=15

It's from 2014 and things may have changed, but I doubt it.

Kind regards, Michael

If that was true than P3D has a designfault, which I doubt,  and LM would have choosen to let it that way ...

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

16 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I don't fly at night at all, dawn-dusk I try to catch but never night.

I thought I would spend an hour doing my own tests with 4.4 or should I say re-doing them.

I have 4 core with HT ON.

I run P3D only on main cores with an AM 85, everything else runs on 1/3/5/7 

FSL A320 FPS locked at 26 within P3D with FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

Taking off from EGNX flying down to EGLL (simwings) keeping at hight of 10,000ft GS 355, turning to 090 passed EGLL to the London Dome, 180 back to EGLL. All smooth as silk apart from a small long frame to load EGLL around 12 miles out.

FPS not once dropped below my 26 lock. CPU usage 55-70% maxing out around 90-95% normally around 65-70% all the time.

4.4 thank you.

My comment does not apply to anybody who specifically avoids night flying.

I was talking visuals - 4.4 night fliers are missing out on improvements in 4.5.