Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

V4.5 : what has happened to Locked framerate ?

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

sweeping comments implying RTSS works for everyone, well it might If your only using one screen. But I lot of people use more than one these days.

I am using three screens (well, projectors, actually), and the RTSS frame limiter works fine for me. So it must be more than the number of screens.

Maybe it's also related to what's actually on them. Mine are just three scenery views, no cockpit, no gauges.

Also they are in nVidia Surround mode. Maybe that is the difference?

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

8 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I am using three screens (well, projectors, actually), and the RTSS frame limiter works fine for me. So it must be more than the number of screens.

Maybe it's also related to what's actually on them. Mine are just three scenery views, no cockpit, no gauges.

Also they are in nVidia Surround mode. Maybe that is the difference?

Pete

Is there a reason not to use Vsync + Unlimited Pete ?

I use it but see spiking ( 30-60 and back to 30 ) with 30 hertz + Unlimited

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

To me, those simmers still sticking to "unlimited" are those not yet ready to accept that it is not about FPS numbers but smooth visuals. It took me long to make the turn, but since I accepted that 22-24FPS on a heavy airport still somehow displayed smoothly is way more valuable than 30-35FPS on the same airport but stuttering like hell or dealing with other drawbacks like blurries, autogen popping etc.

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

To me, those simmers still sticking to "unlimited" are those not yet ready to accept that it is not about FPS numbers but smooth visuals. It took me long to make the turn, but since I accepted that 22-24FPS on a heavy airport still somehow displayed smoothly is way more valuable than 30-35FPS on the same airport but stuttering like hell or dealing with other drawbacks like blurries, autogen popping etc.

Total agree with Chris, after making some changes for the good I am now down to 24 FPS, that's 20% less demand on FPS set to 30. Its shows, because you get no stutters and very smooth. Smoothness is key, not high FPS. But each to there own :) 

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

20 hours ago, GSalden said:

Which aircraft do you use ?

All info will help. The Prosim flight model in VC , the PMDG VC and the FsLabs VC seem to put the main thread core at 100% 

Just tried the PMDG VC and still an even spread across most cores.
Definitely none pegging out at 100%.

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Is there a reason not to use Vsync + Unlimited Pete ?

I'd rather be free to select the Projector VS myself. 25Hz doesn't work well on one of the Projectors (misalignments and jitter). 30Hz has been okay, but I currently use them at 60Hz so that there's no clash with my separate control screen* which can only run at 60Hz.

Not using VSync allows me to limit the frame rate to whatever I discover gives me the smoothest performance. I'm happy with anything over 19fps providing it is smooth. Testing 25 in RTSS at present.

* Before you ask "why a separate "control" screen, it is because i can never find the mouse pointer on the curved screen. The software I use (NatVis's tailored version of Immersive Pro) doesn't "straighten" the Windows desktop, and in any case its settings for P3D4 have blended overlap areas which are difficult to navigate through with the mouse.

Folks with normal vision cope better, but because of my severe tunnel vision (from advanced Retinitis Pigmentosa) I even have a job finding the pointer on my office PC's wide screen!

Pete

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

To me, those simmers still sticking to "unlimited" are those not yet ready to accept that it is not about FPS numbers but smooth visuals.

Nope, this is a wrong statement. I'm still sticking to Unlimited setting but limit P3Dv4 engine by using Vsync On and 25Hz monitor refresh. 

Cheers,

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, AnkH said:

Feel free to configure your sim the way you wish... but there are some who don't see any reason to waste CPU resources making look-ahead frames.  I'm past using the in-sim limiter... been there, done that, no plans to go back anytime soon.  My sim runs smooth at 30fps with no blurries, autogen popping, or other memorable anomalies.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I'd rather be free to select the Projector VS myself. 25Hz doesn't work well on one of the Projectors (misalignments and jitter). 30Hz has been okay, but I currently use them at 60Hz so that there's no clash with my separate control screen* which can only run at 60Hz.

Not using VSync allows me to limit the frame rate to whatever I discover gives me the smoothest performance. I'm happy with anything over 19fps providing it is smooth. Testing 25 in RTSS at present.

* Before you ask "why a separate "control" screen, it is because i can never find the mouse pointer on the curved screen. The software I use (NatVis's tailored version of Immersive Pro) doesn't "straighten" the Windows desktop, and in any case its settings for P3D4 have blended overlap areas which are difficult to navigate through with the mouse.

Folks with normal vision cope better, but because of my severe tunnel vision (from advanced Retinitis Pigmentosa) I even have a job finding the pointer on my office PC's wide screen!

Pete

Thanks for the explenation .

Here I use 30 hertz /4K with Vsync / Unlimited on both view pc’s ( WidevieW )

I need 30 fps as with a steep turn at lower altitude the fast moving scenery and horizon on my left view pc is not smooth enough. Not even with 25 fps.

i now can fly smooth over TE NL with Very Dense SC /  Dense AG / OC or rain / lots of AI / FT Amsterdam / Clouds + Terrain Shadows. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

I need 30 fps as with a steep turn at lower altitude the fast moving scenery and horizon on my left view pc is not smooth enough. Not even with 25 fps.

i now can fly smooth over TE NL with Very Dense SC /  Dense AG / OC or rain / lots of AI / FT Amsterdam / Clouds + Terrain Shadows. 

Do I get it right - due to using 30 hertz /4K with Vsync / Unlimited on both view pc’s ( WidevieW )?

Thanks.

Thanks for the explenation .

Here I use 30 hertz /4K with Vsync / Unlimited on both view pc’s ( WidevieW )

So I take it you have solved the problem?  Or at least the main thread cpu usage no longer translates to poor sim performance for you?

I can tell you this, I upgraded to 4.5 over the weekend.  I only had time to fly a short time around SEQM, but it seemed that my cpu usage is exactly as it was in 4.4 (in other words, vsync on, framerate set to unlimited, my cpu usage varies from 60% to 90% depending on where I am).   I run 4K single display at 30 hz.  I have yet to test in a high-load environment like EGLL or KLAX, but results are promising

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've just done a clean install of 4.5 wiped everything.

At locked FPS core 0 is not maxed out.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

That's perhaps something more noticeable with UHD (or do you really have true 4K, which is 4096 x 2160 like my home cinema projector?).

Currently, because wide-angle short throw UHD projectors were prohibitively expensive, and the affect on P3D frame rates would have been intolerable, I stayed with 3 x 1080p (5760 x 1080).

However, with my new super-performing hardware and cheaper UHD projectors, maybe even 4K ones, I will be tempted in the future.

I don't want to go to multiple PCs with Wideview. My set up is 3 windows (overlapping, for blending) on a 210 FOV curved screen. But I have no cockpit or gauges to display.

Pete

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I've just done a clean install of 4.5 wiped everything.

At locked FPS core 0 is not maxed out.

With Vsync set to on, correct?  :smile:

Bert

5 hours ago, Mace said:

So I take it you have solved the problem?  Or at least the main thread cpu usage no longer translates to poor sim performance for you?

I can tell you this, I upgraded to 4.5 over the weekend.  I only had time to fly a short time around SEQM, but it seemed that my cpu usage is exactly as it was in 4.4 (in other words, vsync on, framerate set to unlimited, my cpu usage varies from 60% to 90% depending on where I am).   I run 4K single display at 30 hz.  I have yet to test in a high-load environment like EGLL or KLAX, but results are promising

The 100% load on the main thread core with Locked franerate still exists, but I use Unlimited + Vsync + 30 hertz which gives me 67-95% load depending on the scenery ...