GSalden

V4.5 : what has happened to Locked framerate ?

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Is there a reason not to use Vsync + Unlimited Pete ?

I'd rather be free to select the Projector VS myself. 25Hz doesn't work well on one of the Projectors (misalignments and jitter). 30Hz has been okay, but I currently use them at 60Hz so that there's no clash with my separate control screen* which can only run at 60Hz.

Not using VSync allows me to limit the frame rate to whatever I discover gives me the smoothest performance. I'm happy with anything over 19fps providing it is smooth. Testing 25 in RTSS at present.

* Before you ask "why a separate "control" screen, it is because i can never find the mouse pointer on the curved screen. The software I use (NatVis's tailored version of Immersive Pro) doesn't "straighten" the Windows desktop, and in any case its settings for P3D4 have blended overlap areas which are difficult to navigate through with the mouse.

Folks with normal vision cope better, but because of my severe tunnel vision (from advanced Retinitis Pigmentosa) I even have a job finding the pointer on my office PC's wide screen!

Pete

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

To me, those simmers still sticking to "unlimited" are those not yet ready to accept that it is not about FPS numbers but smooth visuals.

Nope, this is a wrong statement. I'm still sticking to Unlimited setting but limit P3Dv4 engine by using Vsync On and 25Hz monitor refresh. 

Cheers,

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, AnkH said:

To me, those simmers still sticking to "unlimited" are those not yet ready to accept that it is not about FPS numbers but smooth visuals. It took me long to make the turn, but since I accepted that 22-24FPS on a heavy airport still somehow displayed smoothly is way more valuable than 30-35FPS on the same airport but stuttering like hell or dealing with other drawbacks like blurries, autogen popping etc.

Feel free to configure your sim the way you wish... but there are some who don't see any reason to waste CPU resources making look-ahead frames.  I'm past using the in-sim limiter... been there, done that, no plans to go back anytime soon.  My sim runs smooth at 30fps with no blurries, autogen popping, or other memorable anomalies.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I'd rather be free to select the Projector VS myself. 25Hz doesn't work well on one of the Projectors (misalignments and jitter). 30Hz has been okay, but I currently use them at 60Hz so that there's no clash with my separate control screen* which can only run at 60Hz.

Not using VSync allows me to limit the frame rate to whatever I discover gives me the smoothest performance. I'm happy with anything over 19fps providing it is smooth. Testing 25 in RTSS at present.

* Before you ask "why a separate "control" screen, it is because i can never find the mouse pointer on the curved screen. The software I use (NatVis's tailored version of Immersive Pro) doesn't "straighten" the Windows desktop, and in any case its settings for P3D4 have blended overlap areas which are difficult to navigate through with the mouse.

Folks with normal vision cope better, but because of my severe tunnel vision (from advanced Retinitis Pigmentosa) I even have a job finding the pointer on my office PC's wide screen!

Pete

Thanks for the explenation .

Here I use 30 hertz /4K with Vsync / Unlimited on both view pc’s ( WidevieW )

I need 30 fps as with a steep turn at lower altitude the fast moving scenery and horizon on my left view pc is not smooth enough. Not even with 25 fps.

i now can fly smooth over TE NL with Very Dense SC /  Dense AG / OC or rain / lots of AI / FT Amsterdam / Clouds + Terrain Shadows. 

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

I need 30 fps as with a steep turn at lower altitude the fast moving scenery and horizon on my left view pc is not smooth enough. Not even with 25 fps.

i now can fly smooth over TE NL with Very Dense SC /  Dense AG / OC or rain / lots of AI / FT Amsterdam / Clouds + Terrain Shadows. 

Do I get it right - due to using 30 hertz /4K with Vsync / Unlimited on both view pc’s ( WidevieW )?

Thanks.

Thanks for the explenation .

Here I use 30 hertz /4K with Vsync / Unlimited on both view pc’s ( WidevieW )

So I take it you have solved the problem?  Or at least the main thread cpu usage no longer translates to poor sim performance for you?

I can tell you this, I upgraded to 4.5 over the weekend.  I only had time to fly a short time around SEQM, but it seemed that my cpu usage is exactly as it was in 4.4 (in other words, vsync on, framerate set to unlimited, my cpu usage varies from 60% to 90% depending on where I am).   I run 4K single display at 30 hz.  I have yet to test in a high-load environment like EGLL or KLAX, but results are promising

I've just done a clean install of 4.5 wiped everything.

At locked FPS core 0 is not maxed out.

That's perhaps something more noticeable with UHD (or do you really have true 4K, which is 4096 x 2160 like my home cinema projector?).

Currently, because wide-angle short throw UHD projectors were prohibitively expensive, and the affect on P3D frame rates would have been intolerable, I stayed with 3 x 1080p (5760 x 1080).

However, with my new super-performing hardware and cheaper UHD projectors, maybe even 4K ones, I will be tempted in the future.

I don't want to go to multiple PCs with Wideview. My set up is 3 windows (overlapping, for blending) on a 210 FOV curved screen. But I have no cockpit or gauges to display.

Pete

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I've just done a clean install of 4.5 wiped everything.

At locked FPS core 0 is not maxed out.

With Vsync set to on, correct?  :smile:

5 hours ago, Mace said:

So I take it you have solved the problem?  Or at least the main thread cpu usage no longer translates to poor sim performance for you?

I can tell you this, I upgraded to 4.5 over the weekend.  I only had time to fly a short time around SEQM, but it seemed that my cpu usage is exactly as it was in 4.4 (in other words, vsync on, framerate set to unlimited, my cpu usage varies from 60% to 90% depending on where I am).   I run 4K single display at 30 hz.  I have yet to test in a high-load environment like EGLL or KLAX, but results are promising

The 100% load on the main thread core with Locked franerate still exists, but I use Unlimited + Vsync + 30 hertz which gives me 67-95% load depending on the scenery ...

The 100% load on the main thread core with Locked framerate still exists...

Depends on the Vsync setting..

6 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

With Vsync set to on, correct?  :smile:

No Bert, I don’t use it.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Depends on the Vsync setting..

Vsync off with Locked 

Well bummer, I have a feeling the 100% usage isn’t going to be addressed since they just released a hot fix. I’d like to move to 4.5 but 4.4 is running pretty dang well and reading this thread, it sounds like 4.5 still has at least one big enough issue to not make the move. I’ll keep watching your guys’ posts. 

6 hours ago, pvupilot said:

Well bummer, I have a feeling the 100% usage isn’t going to be addressed since they just released a hot fix. I’d like to move to 4.5 but 4.4 is running pretty dang well and reading this thread, it sounds like 4.5 still has at least one big enough issue to not make the move. I’ll keep watching your guys’ posts. 

I am still not convinced that this is "an issue"..

The sim is designed to load up the first core for rendering and use the other cores for loading..  It may not look pretty when you stare at Windows Task Manager, but it flies smoothly and looks great!

I am not going back to V4.4. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, GSalden said:

Vsync off with Locked 

That is what I see as well, but if I then turn on Vsync, that Core usage drops..

Not sure it makes the airplane fly better.. but that is what I observe.

Edited by Bert Pieke

12 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am still not convinced that this is "an issue"..

The sim is designed to load up the first core for rendering and use the other cores for loading..  It may not look pretty when you stare at Windows Task Manager, but it flies smoothly and looks great!

I am not going back to V4.4. :wink:

+1

When I check Task Manager I've come to accept Core0 will be at 95%-100%... and yet the sim performs great for me.  All I care about is the second core (Core1).  When Core1 starts bumping up against 100% then I'll start worrying.  My Core1 rarely tops 50% even in the toughest, most demanding scenarios.

Greg

• Like 1

On a new fresh full install of P3D v4.5 I am seeing Core 0 at 100%. None of the other cores, including the logical ones are at 100%. I am on a i9 9900k with HT on and no AM. Frames are locked in the sim at 30 with vsync on, TB off. I see no real issues flying (PMDG 747 with ASP4, ASCA,  vPilot, Remote CDU, LINDA and smartCARS for my VA running in the background). Most sliders are to the right but the autogen distance and density are midway. Water is one level below ultra. Reading through this thread, I am thinking that Core 0 should not be maxed continuously? Maybe I need to try without HT on? I experiment with running unlimited, vsync on/off and it made no difference. 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Reading through this thread, I am thinking that Core 0 should not be maxed continuously? Maybe I need to try without HT on? I experiment with running unlimited, vsync on/off and it made no difference. 

Not sure that is what this discussion has concluded.. most users, running with locked fps see Core0 at 90%+ all the time.

Try turning on Vsync as a test, on my system, that reduces Core0 usage.. but does not provide any benefits regarding smooth flight.

With your number of CPU cores, I would indeed turn off HT.. that may just help with overall performance.

• Like 1

My observations with 4.5HF1: Cores 0 and 1 between 60 and 70 %, cores 2 through 5 vary between 0 and 100, depending on the scenery. FPS locked internally and with RTSS, no VS or TB, no AM, on a i5-9600K. But I do use FFTF Dynamic and a util to move other processes off core 0.

I'm still on 4.4 due to so many issues people are having so I can't test it. Do you still get 100% on core 1 if you toggle core 1 off/on once (doesn't matter where; Task manager, Project Lasso, ...). If I do that in 4.4 suddenly core 1 is not maxed out anymore - I can't say it affects the performance though.

I really do not get it, why sometimes when I start P3D the RTSS or nVidia inspector do not lock the fps as I configured, while most of times normally does?

Why it is random?

The frame rate limiter in NVI does an average job at best... depending on how you have NVI configured you'd be lucky to limit the frame rate to +-10% of your target.

Regarding RTSS failing to "hook" P3D, I too have had random success.  Of course, the first thing to do is make sure you have a profile configured for P3D.  I have had better "hook" success by making sure "Custom Direct3D support" is "ON".  Also, you could try increasing "Application detection level" from "Low" to "Medium"... the latter didn't improve much for me.  My best success comes from starting P3D, then manually starting RTSS after P3D reaches the "Scenario" screen.

Good luck,

Greg

On 5/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, gboz said:

Strangely enough you don't even have do the activate/deactivate procedure. Just open the TM set affinity widow then do nothing except click the Ok button to close it.

gb.

I can confirm this with my setup. I have a i9 9900k. HT off, locked FR of 30, vsync on, TB off. Core 0 is at 100%. Go to task mgr, right click on P3D.exe, select to set affinity but do nothing other than closing the dialogue box that pops up that shows all cores checked. Core 0 then drops to 60% and never goes back up. 

• Like 1