Sign in to follow this  
Quackarov

A question for all of you.

Hello everyone.  I would like to ask you all question.  What is the thing that keeps bringing you back to flight simulation?  Is it the views?  Or maybe the airplanes? Maybe it is the satisfaction of completing a flight.  What is it that makes you load up your game and get in an airplane?  

Any answers welcome!  

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm retired.

Whenever I'm in the garden, and a Grob flies over at 200' on approach to R03 at EGOW, I just can't

wait...I fire up P3d or FSX and start my approach.

I really must put my house & garden on my approach path....

(and my garden lounger...)🤣

Regards

Bill

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

The views, and the airplane of course. Also the flight planning is fun thing to do and the successfully complete the flight. And the last, I have just recently started flying online (vatsim), and what a change that has been! Loving it!!

P.S

And still on P3D v3.4 and loving that also :)

Edited by Virtpilot
  • Like 4

Tapani Österberg

1 hour ago, Quackarov said:

What is it that makes you load up your game and get in an airplane?  

Game?!!! How very dare you sir! Tis no 'game'! 😉

• Like 7

Murray Dreyer

That moment while simming, real life problems disappear.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I have always been fascinated with aviation - the planes, the terminals, the sounds, the views from above and sensations of flying. This is as close to actual real-world flying that I can experience without spending thousands of dollars to become a real-life pilot.

And over the years, I have spent thousands of dollars to make the sim as close to reality as possible...

... wait a sec... there is some logic in there somewhere!

• Like 7

Mario Di Lauro

2 hours ago, Quackarov said:

Hello everyone.  I would like to ask you all question.  What is the thing that keeps bringing you back to flight simulation?  Is it the views?  Or maybe the airplanes? Maybe it is the satisfaction of completing a flight.  What is it that makes you load up your game and get in an airplane?  

Any answers welcome!  

Thanks!

In real life I have flown Cessnas under the supervision of a CFI, Light Sport, and Trikes.  In the simulations I can practice those flight skills especially for situational awareness because I do not get up into real flight very often, other than as a passenger, which I do often.  Plus in the simulations I can extend my skills to aircraft I could never dream of flying in real life, lifestyles of the rich and famous. bizjets like the Citation 550 or Eclipse, or propjets like the Beech 200.  I can fantasize about taking family on a trip to Disneyworld, great for an early retiree with a lot of time on his hands. 

John

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

it's never been a game ..... for me, that opportunity to further understand how aircraft have evolved (eg 737 classics to the ng & soon  max) since my real. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

for now, cheers

john martin

I think it is the same for most pilots or simmers, once you have slipped the surly bonds your eyes are forever turned skywards. For myself, I confess it's an almost child like wistfulness that keeps me flying, whether in reality or when in the simulator.

• Like 3

It sure as hell beats tic-tac-toe!:wacko:  Since this was a question for all, I have moved this topic into the Hangar Chat forum.

This is a general question about why you Sim and not a Sim vs Sim situation.  Let's keep it that way! :happy:

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm all about learning and training. 😀

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

13 minutes ago, charliearon said:

It sure as hell beats tic-tac-toe!:wacko:  Since this was a question for all, I have moved this topic into the Hangar Chat forum.

This is a general question about why you Sim and not a Sim vs Sim situation.  Let's keep it that way! :happy:

Thanks for moving it!  I really only post in the P3D forum so I thought I wouldn't bother anyone else.

For me its Making Planes , Its satisfying to see these take form , some take years to complete the journey , they arrive as pixels and vertex points and leave with all systems duplicated. , At the outset a file of perhaps 30 items grows to over 1600  , sounds , dll's, bitmaps, to total out at over 2 gigabytes in the case at hand .

Best CJ

• Like 4

I think the definition of a "game" is that there are usually two elements:  Winners and Losers.  I think we're all winners in flight simming because we walk away from any crash without so much as a scratch😌

I got hooked on this little hobby in 1985 with MS FS Ver. I and II, and at that time, horrible was not enough to describe the graphics...  And over the years, I bought just about every version Microsoft had to offer, plus some other non-MS flight sims... 

Fight simming gives me the freedom to "go" to any place on Earth where I would not go in any case.  And, of course, I always try to stick the landing:  Down the center line with not much smoke... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Quackarov said:

Any answers welcome!  

Thanks!

I've been enjoying flight sim for over 36 years, and while I've taken a break here or there, I keep coming back because of the collective experience.  The most unique part of our hobby is that there are practically unlimited doors to open.

I'm currently writing an article about this very topic, and I'll share a few thoughts from it here.

We all get started in Flight Sim pretty much the same way, base sim and default aircraft.  Some people stick with that, others get into payware, some go down the military road, others with general aviation, or business jets, or airliners.  Some stick with default Air Traffic Control, others use a payware product for AI ATC, and still others looks for more realism by flying online.  Some people love to fly alone, others in groups flights. Still others love to fly Shared Cockpit and Shared Cockpit / Connected Flight Deck in airliners is something that has been growing daily in our community over many years.

Almost an unlimited number of doors to open in our hobby!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.