Sign in to follow this  
Thosdick48

PC Crashed - Hard Disk Drive dead

My PC  motherboard and hard disk drive recently died.  The HP desktop pc was going on 11 years-old.  The problem is, Prepar3Dv4.4 and all add-ons were on the HDD.  Recovery efforts did not resurrect P3DV4.4, nor any of my airplanes or Active Sky apps.  So, I bought a new PC. This means new IP Address, right? Does anyone know if I will have trouble reinstalling/activating P3DV4.4?  Aerosoft airbuses and Carenado planes can be reinstalled on a new pc without a hassel, but don't know about LM P3DV4.  Help!

Thom

You can get everything you need (credentials) directly from LM's site using your LM site account.   I recently went through the same thing and Install and Activation went smoothly and without a hitch.

Edited by Harold_Finch
  • Upvote 1

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Thom,

I know it's a bit late at this point, but I have found system images to be invaluable, including for your situation. While a system image most certainly won't allow you to recreate your old system on a new computer, system images can be mounted as a drive, which allows you to pull anything you want from your previous system. In your case, if you had installers for your addons saved on your system, you would be able to recover them from a system image by mounting the image on the new computer and copying those installers over. I have used system image to restore my pc after serious problems with P3D, and it seamlessly took me back to my system state at backup. I have also mounted system images to pull individual files and directories that I needed to replace deleted/corrupted/changed files and directories.

I use the Windows 7 backup option available in Win 10 Pro...it's included in Windows, and it's worked perfectly for me 100% of the time.

Wishing you much success getting back in the air!

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

18 hours ago, Thosdick48 said:

My PC  motherboard and hard disk drive recently died.  The HP desktop pc was going on 11 years-old.  The problem is, Prepar3Dv4.4 and all add-ons were on the HDD.  Recovery efforts did not resurrect P3DV4.4, nor any of my airplanes or Active Sky apps.  So, I bought a new PC. This means new IP Address, right? Does anyone know if I will have trouble reinstalling/activating P3DV4.4?  Aerosoft airbuses and Carenado planes can be reinstalled on a new pc without a hassel, but don't know about LM P3DV4.  Help!

Thom

If you had any Carenado aircraft, they will also have links and your reg keys for you online, Justflight too.  I made the mistake of repurchasing several Carenado aircraft that were P3D compatible that I had when I lost my old system with FSX installed.  But the majority I was able to redownload and install in P3D 4.x

John

I would like to say special and heart-felt THANKS to John Cillis, Somiller, Lownslo, and Harold Finch for your support and helpful feedback regarding my situation.  THANKS guys!!!!  It turns out, according to Lockheed Martin, that I had not uninstalled P3DV4.4 prior to the crash, so all I had to do was download V4.5 and install on my new pc.  I also just had to re-download my planes from Carenado, and Aerosoft, and Flysimware.   My new pc has an AMD Ryzen5-2400G processor with 3.6GHz, with turbo-boost to 3.9 GHZ.  While I lost the use of my Nvidia GTX 960 with 4GB of ram, my new pc has AMD Radeon Vega 11 integrated video graphics, which I learned is equivalent to the Nvidia 1030. I also now have 16GB of RAM and Windows 10 Pro. I am now going through the tedious process of reconfiguring my Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Switch Panel, and of course, P4DV4.5.  I am hoping not to have the stutters and low FPS that I had with P3Dv4.4.

Blue Skies,

Thom

2 hours ago, Thosdick48 said:

While I lost the use of my Nvidia GTX 960 with 4GB of ram, my new pc has AMD Radeon Vega 11 integrated video graphics, which I learned is equivalent to the Nvidia 1030.

I am hoping not to have the stutters and low FPS that I had with P3Dv4.4.

I don't see those two going together. Are you sure the old video card is dead?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the response.  The old video card is not dead.  I cannot install the GTX 960 in my new pc, due to a form factor issue.  I only have one available slot, and the video card will not fit in the slot. Sorry for the confusion.

Thom

You don't have a PCIe x16 slot? What motherboard did you buy?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Hi Luke,

I do have a PCIe x16 slot, but the GTX 960 card is too big for the available space.  I plan to buy the Nvidia 1660 later this year.  My motherboard is an AMD A320.