Sign in to follow this  
blackbird7

Do 3rd party add-on aircraft typically play well with each other?

As I add more aircraft to my P3D v4 hangar, I am beginning to ask myself if there are any problems with some add-on aircraft not playing nice or causing problems with other add-on aircraft. For example, if I own/fly several A2A aircraft or study level airliners, can I confidently add/use MILVIZ aircraft without any conflicts?

At least in FSX, it seems that you have to be careful loading a previously saved Milviz DHC-3T flight depending on the fuel/mixture/aircraft type of the previously flown aircraft, which I don’t fully understand. The MilViz DHC-3T manual states that:

If you are using this aircraft within Flight Simulator X, it is very important that you take into account the following in order to correctly set the aircraft up for flight with a turbine engine:
a) A flight should be set up from the simulator menu. I.E. Select the aircraft, location, time, and weather from the FS Free Flight Menu and begin the flight. The simulator will then be setup for a turbine engine profile. Positioning the aircraft where you want, along with a possible cold and dark state and saving the flight will allow this to be used at any time.
b) If you load up from a previously saved flight or loaded aircraft, it must be a jet or turboprop aircraft, NOT a piston engine. The simulator will be using the fuel and mixture setup of the previous aircraft when the DHC3-T loads, which means that the custom management of the turbine engine profile is going to be at odds with this and the simulator may either crash to desktop or simply not start or run correctly.

I’m also a little less confident since MilViz is installing inside of the sim folder, not using the recommended add-on.xml method. 

Hello!

I see two things here. The advice you are mentioning is not only about Milviz.

Any third party add-on that is a minimal complex should be used from a fresh launch of the sim with a simple default flight. In many cases it is not advised to jump from one add-on to another during a session. As for myself I have created a default flight with the Mooney and if I want to change aircraft, I usually quit the sim and launch a new session.

So to answer your thread title : yes, 3rd party Add-ons can very well be installed together ; it is most of the time just a matter of launching a clean sim session before selecting them. If you have any doubt, you should refer to the documentation of the aircraft, almost all add-on makers mention the right way to behave about this in their manual.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

I always reboot the simulator if I want to switch planes. No exceptions.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, TopGun33 said:

Hello!

I see two things here. The advice you are mentioning is not only about Milviz.

Any third party add-on that is a minimal complex should be used from a fresh launch of the sim with a simple default flight. In many cases it is not advised to jump from one add-on to another during a session. As for myself I have created a default flight with the Mooney and if I want to change aircraft, I usually quit the sim and launch a new session.

So to answer your thread title : yes, 3rd party Add-ons can very well be installed together ; it is most of the time just a matter of launching a clean sim session before selecting them. If you have any doubt, you should refer to the documentation of the aircraft, almost all add-on makers mention the right way to behave about this in their manual.

I hope this helps!

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Awrsome. Thank you for the suggestions!

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Same here!

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

8 hours ago, TopGun33 said:

Any third party add-on that is a minimal complex should be used from a fresh launch of the sim with a simple default flight. In many cases it is not advised to jump from one add-on to another during a session.

This strikes me as just another bit of folklore that's routinely passed on as gospel. You will note that the Milviz advice is for FSX users, not P3D.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

This strikes me as just another bit of folklore that's routinely passed on as gospel. You will note that the Milviz advice is for FSX users, not P3D.

Please use my entire quote and not pick what suits you :

7 hours ago, blackbird7 said:

If you have any doubt, you should refer to the documentation of the aircraft, almost all add-on makers mention the right way to behave about this in their manual. 

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

25 minutes ago, TopGun33 said:

Please use my entire quote and not pick what suits you :

Tail wagging the dog :huh:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro