Sign in to follow this  
Riah069

Very bad Frame rates

Hi Carlos,

If you look at the textures in the TEXTURES.COMMON folder, you'll see some heavy 16MB textures. Resize those to 2048x2048 in your favorite paint program. Then open them in DXTBMP, save them as DXT 5 textures using the same filenames as the originals. Remember to backup the .COMMON folder somewhere in case you don't like the modifications.

Hi,

I just realised that the A42 don't like small values on BP(Buffer Pool). I discovered that I get like 20 fps in VC and about 12-15 fps outside with BP=0. With BP=3000000 or more I get about 45fps in VC and up to 60fps outside (and steady 30fps locked) I don't know why since every other plane I have works fine with BP=0. Guess there might be some issues with the textures layers/order some how. I have tried to scale them down to a max size 512x512px even, just to test. But same behaviour so it seems not be the texture size(memory) them selfs.

Just as a tip for those struggling with this "poor fps" aircraft. I have now 2 fsx.cfg, one for Carenado a42 and one for the rest. 🙂

(32bit Fsx)

Hi,

adding BP to my FSX.cfg on Win 7 64 bit didn't give me better frame rates. Actually it somehow messed up my Majestic Q400 and had to reinstall that product.

One thing I notice is if I change my window to another program let's say Firefox and go back to FSX, I notice a normal FPS of about 25FPS momentarily on the ATR 42 which quickly drops back to 4 FPS when FSX is fullscreen. Any ideas why this is? All other aircraft are fine with FPS. Video card compatibility perhaps?

Hmm did you have the BP tweak before? If not, then the default poolsize is 4000000(if I remeber correct). Im using 0 in pool size, but for the cfg I created for the ATR42 I use 3000000 (or could just remove that mod and let the default 4000000 be used)

[bufferPools]
PoolSize=0

With this(BP=0) I get extremely poor fps with the A42, but much smoother with the other planes. So with A42 I went from 4000000 down to 3000000, and under that it started to get this poor fps again.

So if you did not use this mod(tweak) in the cfg, then perhaps you could add it and try to increase it instead? Not sure about the upper limits thou.(perhaps 8000000?)

There is also other tweaks that goes under [bufferPools] but I haven't managed to get other that more stutter with those.

Regarding the Video card I doubt that has anything to do with it since the 3D engine is the same(in FSX at least) But perhaps it could be that you have a small memory size in the Video card, and that it starts to swap back and forth when using the a42? Then again I would give it a try to see if increasing the buffer size would help. Be sure to make a backup of your current cfg first. 🙂 Anyone correct me if Im totally wrong about things here.

Hi Snuten, never had the tweak before but I did add 3000000 and below but each time it made no difference.

I'm posting this update for anyone that may be interested. On another forum it was mentioned that by hitting Shift 2 and calling up the 2D panel, then clicking the lower left screw icon the user got good frame rates. It actually worked for me, I now have at least 15FPS on this aircraft where previously I could only get 5 FPS max. Hope this helps. I don't understand why that would improve frame rates but it obviously resets something.

Patrick

Hi guys. 1.4 and stil very very bad performance, does any of you found a magic trick? Also can you guys please share those resized textures?

Well I found a magic:

Go to model folder, and edit model.cfg

[models]
normal=atr_pbr_x64 (or just) atr
interior=atr_interior_x86

You can do the same for the 72.

Edited by Bagiu

Hi, I tried your suggestion with the Model.cfg without much difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ray

On 12/17/2019 at 5:44 AM, raystriker said:

Hi, I tried your suggestion with the Model.cfg without much difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ray

Hmm. Strange, that gave me at least 8-10 fps in VC...

I think one of the issue contributing to the poor FPS in the Carenado ATR 42/72 is the size of the .mdl that are + 100mb in some cases models ot +200mb just the internal model and +100mb the external model also with layers and layers of textures bump and spec, is unnessesary to have such big models, even the PMDG 747 model size is around 24mb.

This large is ridicoulus for an ATR

Edited by gusram5

Notice - NECRO 😉

I just recently got back into FSX and got the A 42 1.4
The first time I ran fsx and loaded the plane I got single frames on a new computer.
The second time I loaded up I was back to normal frame rates?

Aside - many times I'll load up and even though the throttle is set to 0 (verified using windows joystick setup) no matter the aircraft, I start moving forward? I can either kill the powerplant(s) of hold the brakes for a bit and then I hear the engine rpms slowing?