Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

P3D Settings question

All things equal on a decent machine, which of these two P3D settings profile do you think would be more taxing on a system?  I know that every system is different so it is tough to answer but wanted some feedback as to what you all think considering each of these are slightly different and have higher settings in some areas and lower in others.  Thanks!

https://www.rdpresets.com/p3dv4-settings.html#/

https://live-cockpits.weebly.com/settings.html

my specs are:

ASRock Z170 Professional, Intel LGA 1151

Intel 6th Gen Core i7 6700K (4.6GHz Overclock) Quad Core
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling
System Memory: 16GB Kingston DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz
Graphics Processor: 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCI Express 3.0
System Power: 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
Sound Card: 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
Primary Solid State Drive: 500GB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I think both are too high, I have similar to your but a GTX1070.

But it depends what you run within your sim. With Orbx OLC and addon airports I use setting lower than both of them but can keep FPS locked at 26 and never drop below even doing rings around London and EGLL. (my test area.)

Before you try any, I would suggest you run P3D only on your main cores AM 85 and make sure all addons like ASP4/CP/EF/ProATC/etc all run on the Threads.

FSL seems to love P3D using no HT. So just use the AM 85 and make everything else run off the main cores (on the threads) = Bliss.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Is that something easy to do?  I have no idea how I would run P3d on my main cores and how to make the others run on threads.  Maybe Jetline Systems could help? 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

But, I don't have poor performance in general.  Just curious.  I use Blackbox711's settings as a baseline

13 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

But, I don't have poor performance in general.  Just curious.  I use Blackbox711's settings as a baseline

His world setting are what I use. All you have to do to make P3D run on main cores only is add a tweak into your config.

Just add this 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=85

Changing other apps is done though W7 task manager. You get everything running and p3D on its startup screen, not in flight and go through all your addon and untick 0-2-4-6 and make sure 1-3-5-7 for all add-ons are Ticked.

Now your PC is running all your apps away from P3D leaving all your main cores to just run the sim and FSL, and not trying to sort out everything.

Up your setting but I suggest you up one at a time and make sure it's OK before using another. My PMDG setting are all one step higher than my FSL setting that matches BB world setting am talking about.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

His world setting are what I use. All you have to do to make P3D run on main cores only is add a tweak into your config.

Just add this 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=85

Changing other apps is done though W7 task manager. You get everything running and p3D on its startup screen, not in flight and go through all your addon and untick 0-2-4-6 and make sure 1-3-5-7 for all add-ons are Ticked.

Now your PC is running all your apps away from P3D leaving all your main cores to just run the sim and FSL, and not trying to sort out everything.

Up your setting but I suggest you up one at a time and make sure it's OK before using another. My PMDG setting are all one step higher than my FSL setting that matches BB world setting am talking about.

Where do you add job scheduler in the config?  Is it your p3d config?  Will things mess up if I do it wrong ?

57 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Where do you add job scheduler in the config?  Is it your p3d config?  Will things mess up if I do it wrong ?

This entry gets added to the P3D .cfg.  It really won't mess anything up but the wrong affinity number can cause performance problems, stuttering, etc.  I have never found this entry to be worthwhile and I have tried all the different calculations over the years and different versions of FSX and P3D but doesn't hurt to try it.  That said....I have never tried what David has suggested though where you are assigning cores to your other apps....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

A question for the OP... is Hyperthreading Enabled or Disabled in your system BIOS?  That will have a lot to do with what Affinity Mask could work best for you.

Greg

Where would I see that?

17 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Where would I see that?

One easy way is open Task Manager, go to Performance tab. You will see it next to 'Logical Processors'.  If it has 8 then you have HT enabled. You probably have it on by default as it appears you have a similar system as I do....  

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

2 hours ago, Flic1 said:

That said....I have never tried what David has suggested though where you are assigning cores to your other apps....

Just using an AM is really only the equation IMO half the job done, it's placing all add-ons on the un-used threads is key.

edit with quotes does not work on these forums in the last few weeks.

"Just using an AM is really only half the equation...."

I found a tool that helps you determine what AM to use and it spit out 16.  Is it safe to assume that I should just go to the bottom of the p3d.cfg and enter the item below?  If I don't see any differences can I simply just go back in and remove it?  It won't mess anything else up right? 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=16

9 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I found a tool that helps you determine what AM to use and it spit out 16.  Is it safe to assume that I should just go to the bottom of the p3d.cfg and enter the item below?  If I don't see any differences can I simply just go back in and remove it?  It won't mess anything else up right? 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=16

First you need to establish if you have HT turned on or off.

Do you have 4 or 8 CPU Cores showing in Task Manager?

The AffinityMask calculation is different!

16 is almost certainly NOT what you want... :cool:

Bert

Try going here

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/decimal-to-binary.html

and enter 16

converted it will give you

10000 which has no useful purpose.. :unsure:

If you key in 85

you get

which signifies "every other" core in an eight LP configuration.

Another popular choice is 254

which translates to

meaning: use all LPs, except for the first LP of the first physical core in an eight LP configuration..

Note: LP is explained below

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert