Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

RTSS, help?

I use FPS locked in P3D (26) and the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 (that's not up for debate that's just what works for me )

But I thought I would try after people keep saying its best to use an external one.

Well, firstly is there any technical reason why? I would like to fully understand why an external limiter is better than locked/FFTF 0.01.

I Downloaded RTSS and removed FFTF (set FPS to unlimited within P3D) to try it but I ran into a problem right away. I run two screens one above the other, the top screen is for P3D and I use the bottom screen to drag 2D pop-ups of the PFD/ND to use at there IRL full-size.

The problem is the second I open a 2D pop-up ND/PFD FPS drop from 26 to 13...half! is there a way in RTSS to stop this?

Any other suggestions to get the best out of RTSS if I can get around it halfing my FPS with pop up's.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

What method are you using? manual FPS value or 1/2 scanline sync? If its scanline sync, just out of curiosity, what happens when you set your MFD refresh rate (within the sim) to double the target FPS? (so 60 if you are targeting 30FPS). 

All I did was set 26 FPS in the little window but within FSL 2D FPS are set to 13, but the sim itself was also running at 13 FPS once the 2D was open.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

RTSS @ VSync/2 will help smooth the frame rates so that they match the (half) sync rate of the monitor e.g.  a 60Hz screen mode @ a half vsync rate will yield 30 fps and should be quite smooth becuase the output is vsync'd, providing the PC can reach 30 fps and have some headroom (20% is a reasonable figure, but higher is better).

This vid link includes the RTSS and P3D settings used to achive the vid fps rate.

Riva Tuner Statistics Server vsyncing @ half monitor 60hz for 30 fps @ L35 Big Bear airport

Check the bottom RH corner where the framerate counter displays.

As to dropping fps when opening another window, yes that happens and maybe someone else with more knowledge in that area can help perhaps?

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I too get the frame rate drop when opening 2d panels and dragging to another screen.  I am trying to adjust to opening and closing the panels on the same screen.  It is too bad because RTSS vync/2 seems to smooth things for me.

Darcy

Seams its a no go then. 

Might try Nvidia inspector to just lock fps and see if that works?

You're mising the point of VSync which is to align the application's screen output with the actual monitor screen mode draw scanrate.

Throw is a bit of buffering (Triple Buffer) to help keep alignment and the result is a very smooth and stutter free flying experience.

Since practically no machine can reliably output 60~80 fps once a bunch of addins have been installed, a half vsync option (such as provided by RTSS) or a 30 Hz monitor and the use of the P3D vsync settings, will provide a very smooth flying experience while also typically leaving enough GPU headroom to increase the P3D graphics sliders.

The caveate though is that the machine must be able to maintain enough fps to sit in the VSync sweet spot, e.g. ~29 to 31 fps for a 30 Hz screen mode.

So in reality, and because the P3D frame rate is not static, the machine will need to produce an overhead of fps, around 10~30% is a reasonable figure.

If the machine can consiistantly maintain such rates you'll find vsync a quite an enjoyable flying experience.

But given you're talking 26 fps...

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

I get what your suggest but your “missing the point” I don’t run VS or 30 FPS. If I was looking for how to run Vsync and Triple B, I would of asked.

Thank you for your thoughts, but all I want was to lock FPS at 26 without the loss with 2D,s open.

I have no problems with smoothness or textures loading.

Edited by Nyxx

Faster computer?

More GPUs with one to run a screen separately?

Do you have a spare GFX card that can be trialed to drive a second monitor?

Here's an advanced P3D sim, last pic take a look at the size of the computer running it all.

http://aviationphotodigest.com/raaf-the-next-generation

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

7 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I get what your suggest but your “missing the point” I don’t run VS or 30 FPS. If I was looking for how to run Vsync and Triple B, I would of asked.

Thank you for your thoughts, but all I want was to lock FPS at 26 without the loss with 2D,s open.

I have no problems with smoothness or textures loading.

Last year I tried an external framerate limiter ( NVI )  with a locked framerate and 2 views : I ended up with 50% of the framerate...

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Last year I tried an external framerate limiter ( NVI )  with a locked framerate and 2 views : I ended up with 50% of the framerate...

Hi Gerard,

OK that’s it, giving up on this idea, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Nyxx

On 5/19/2019 at 8:07 AM, Nyxx said:

that’s it, giving up on this idea

Don't give up! I use DxTory and it works like a charm. I run a projector for the outside view and 3 screens for all the instruments / displays. You can set whatever fps you like and it will limit the fps to this number without any halving or drop as you get with RTSS. 

• Like 1

Darren Morris

I have tried RTSS with a frame limit of 25 and sync x1/2 . I then set FPS in the sim to 30 with no vsync settings. (Normal 60 hz monitor).

This gives me the best fluidity BUT the frame rate in the sim only shows around 12 fps but it is obviously halving the indicated  FPS as well as the sync rate as turning off RTSS returns it to 25-30 fps.

So in my case, low frame rates are no indication at all of the smoothness of what is presented.

One obviously needs a degree in computer programming to understand all the nuances of these settings!

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Try unlimited in p3d,  along side 1/2 sync use value of -1 . Do not enter a value for frame limit in RTSS.

Edited by onebob

Thanks. 

However my first attempt at those settings is a fail P3D doesn't even open.

Will try again later.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.