Sign in to follow this  
Riah069

Speed trees

Why do speedtrees when enabled look SO bright, kinda immersion breaking. Is there a way to make them less vibrant?

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

Yeah, don't use them....

Seriously though, they are supposedly improved in P3D v4.5

Or you could use the Terra Emergence Project Trees which I think look pretty good.

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

They look better in P3d 4.5 but five of the broad leaf species are still too bright green for my taste. I asked LM about this on their official forum but they never responded. Another factor is that the underlying terrain textures are too dark. One thing that you can do to reduce the impact of  this issue is  to activate cast and receive shadows for the trees in the P3d4 UI. Without these settings active, the clouds cast shadows on the underlying terrain, but not on the trees themselves. The only other solution would be to edit the tree texture files with Photoshop to make them match the underlying terrain textures.

Best solution is to just turn them off, they look awful and LM doesn't seem very interested in improving them, making them blend naturally.

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Terra Emergence Project Trees which I think look pretty good.

I agree. These look much better than the ORBX trees. But neither look as good as the SpeedTrees once you are either near or on the ground. Unfortunately, at higher altitude the problem with the five ST broad leaf species being too bright still needs to be fixed.

How does one go about turning off the speed trees..??

EDIT: I think I figured it out... Just turn off dynamic 3D autogen vegetation.

It's amazing how much better it looks now without those glowing neon lime green trees...😁

Yes, there are still some trees that seem too bright green, but overall the look is much improved, at least it is for me. 

Edited by SunDevil56

Another variant of trees. Terra Flora https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/product/terraflora/

• Upvote 3

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

6 hours ago, guibru said:

Another variant of trees. Terra Flora https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/product/terraflora/

Yup. In my opinion, best tree replacement available right now. They are gorgeous.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

4 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Yup. In my opinion, best tree replacement available right now. They are gorgeous.

I did look at the link, and they do look very nice.  The cost seems quite reasonable as well.

Any associated performance hit..?? 

Okay, you guys shamed me into it. I spent a hour darkening the textures of the 5 ST types that are too light. I'm still testing it out, but it looks much better.

• Upvote 1

Jay-

Looks good.

Thanks. The only problem that I can see is that the transition from the ground level 3D trees to the billboard versions is a little uneven. I also tried to match the tree textures to the ORBX terrain textures but it was a bit tricky.  I posted about this on the LM official forum to see what LM would say. SpeedTrees are copyrighted software so unfortunately I can't circulate the textures without permission.

Even with the darker textures, ST are only suitable for a high end CPU/GPU system.

• Upvote 1

Jay-

Lets hope LM responds in the positive!