Sign in to follow this  
Guest GrahamD

Feeling of high speed

Guest danzian

Greetings,I am not sure how to explain my question, and I have not really seen/read posts regarding this.For example, let's say when you are flying very low and very fast in FS9, I do not really feel like I'm speeding when I look outside the cockpit windows or in spot view for that matter. Tower view comes close to what I'm looking for. I'm more interested on cockpit view.I have seen videos of other sims (mostly combat type), the outside scenery moves very fast in relation to the speed of the aircraft.I am wondering if FSX will feature such views. I do not really fly jet fighters, but it would be nice to fly choppers in high speed over the trees and feel that feeling of 'SPEEDING'.Just wondering. thanks.Danzian

Well, I think the main factor for the "speed feeling" in low level flight is the scenery detail! Since FSX will feature higher detailed ground textures and a higher autogen density, I guess the "speed feeling" will be improved to! :-badteeth Greetings: DocNobby

Guest skruer

If you want the real speed experience you will need more than one monitor. Monitors showing the left and right view of the cockpit will give you a feeling of speed. I think tdagger has talked about this earlier on a topic called dual monitor support - can't find it however.

Guest tdragger

What you're talking about really comes from your field of view when looking straight ahead. That's why the professional, full-motion sims are so successful. With those, as in real life, you have something like 210 degrees, in 1.0 zoom FS gives you something like 60. A widescreen aspect ration, <1.0 zoom or multiple monitors will help.

Guest danzian

Thank you very much everybody for your responses.It makes sense now. I do have capabilities of using multiple monitors but I am not using them right now. I have Track IR 4 and I'm sorry to say I do not make good use of 2d panel that much. I don't know how multiple monitors will work with VC though.Once again, thank you very much your replies. Looking forward to FSX Tdragger. Thank you so much for all the inside scoop of FSX. You da man.Regard,Danzian

Guest tdragger

If you have a video card/driver capable of horizontal spanning then multiple monitors should work great. Unfortunately you'll have to contend with the monitor bezels dissecting the view but with TrackIR you should be able to compensate a lot easier than someone using just the keyboard/hat switch.

Guest tdragger

Correct. It's totally hardware dependent. FS (FSX, FS9, FS8, ...) just asks for the available Direct3D devices and their available modes. The driver decides what it can do. FS has no idea how many monitors you have or how their configured.

Guest GrahamD

Another option is to use a Fresnel lens. To get a flavour of this, buy a cheap full page mangifier (you see these on Ebay for making crude TV projectors), mount it about 10 inches from the display (ridges towards display), turn the instrument panel off and use in a dark room. You get a fantastic 3D sensation when flying along gorges and valleys. We used to sell a cheap system called the Virtualizor (www.virtualizor.co.uk) here in the UK, but it never caught on. The few people who bought them loved them, but I don't think anyone really believed that something so cheap could really work. It also made you look pretty stupid, with your head stuck inside the thing. The strangest thing was the way it fooled your senses due to masking out the external environment. If you watch the horizon and roll the plane, it really looks like the horizon remains level and the monitor (and you and everything else) is tilting. If you want to get that speed feeling, I would recommend getting a Fresnel lens and having a play. Of course, you'll get distortion and image degradation with a plastic lens, but it will give you a good feel for it.

Well in 2D panels I use a zoom level much lower (55-60) which greatly helps in thsi regard. If you don't have a fast computer then this might hurt your frame rates but does help out in the speed illussion you are talking about................Randy J. Smith................[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest GrahamD

>>I have a fairly expensive Fresnel lens - no distortions.>>Michael J.>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gif>http://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpgMichael, can I ask what Fresnel lens you use? I suggested using a cheapo one only to get an idea of what the effect does. I wouldn't mind getting a better one myself, if there is one available in the UK.