Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Upgrading CPU and GPU - need some final input

So here I am, tired of mediocre performance and having saved up to go all out this time. I'm, however, not building a completely new build but instead I want to update my current one, more precisely CPU as well as GPU. Through research and reading through threads here on avsim I came to the following plan.

My current system:

i7 6700k 4 Ghz up to 4.2, 8 MB cache
EVGA GTX 1080ti, 11 GB GDDR5x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB DDR4
ASUS Z170-K
750W PSU
Noctua NH-D15S

I'm thinking about upgrading to:

i9 9900K up to 5 GHz, 16 MB cache
RTX 2080 ti Founders Edition, 11 GB GDDR6

The crazy part in me is squinting over at the Titan RTX. If anyone has experience with this one and can compare to the 2080 ti, that would be great.

I checked power supply and cooling for feasibility with the new components. The MOBO supports the i9 as well (1151).

I'm grateful for any additional input as I'm not much into the tech side of flight simming. Thanks!

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

checked power supply and cooling for feasibility with the new components. The MOBO supports the i9 as well (1151)

I don't think a Z170 mobo  will support a 9xxx chip. Same socket (1151) but incompatible.  I'm pretty sure the minimum chipset will be a Z270 board. Check it to avoid a costly mistake. 

• Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

21 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

checked power supply and cooling for feasibility with the new components. The MOBO supports the i9 as well (1151)

I don't think a Z170 mobo  will support a 9xxx chip. Same socket (1151) but incompatible.  I'm pretty sure the minimum chipset will be a Z270 board. Check it to avoid a costly mistake. 

You're right, thanks.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I like the NH-D15, but I think it will be iffy trying to keep a 9900K cool at 5GHz on all 8 cores.  Since you already have it in your current system, see how it does, but in your planning be prepared to need something a little more aggressive or to back down on your target O/C.

8GB of RAM seems an undermatch to the rest of the system, too.  16GB of above average fast RAM (9ns true latency or less) would be my recommendation.

I'd prioritize things in this order:

1. mobo+CPU (Z390 and i9-9900K)

2. CPU cooler (if needed).  2x140mm or 3x120mm AIO loop or custom water loop.

3.  2x8GB fast DRAM kit (e.g. DDR4 3400MHz CAS 15, 3200MHz CAS 14 etc) or faster

4.  RTX 2180Ti video card (your 1080Ti will hold the fort down nicely if you need to wait until later in order to fill priorities above).

Regards

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Agreed with Bob....just skip the RTX 2080 for now.  Your Ti is a solid card!  If you're going to 4K then consider an upgrade to the 2080 Ti

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm still not entirely sure about the GPU, even though it's a load of $ I'm still checking on the Titan RTX. I'm also considering sending in my PC to the manufacturer where I built my custom system to let them do the job because changing the MOBO as well as the CPU seems out of my league. Therefore, I'd go with a new GPU as well as RAM from the start. Their system config tool checks for compatibility of each component with the other hardware. I just built what my upgraded system would be and it didn't find any conflict with regard to cooling with the Noctua plus the enclosure fan. It remains to be seen however what happens in summer when the sun is heating up the entire room.

I'm on a 4k TV already and it's not seldom that my GPU runs at 99%. In other cases where the GPU is comfortable it looks like my current CPU is a bottleneck as well.

The i9 9900K has a base frequency of 3.6 GHz in all cores. It says the turbo boost goes up to 5 GHz. Is this overclocking or would that still add on top of the 5 GHz? In any case, I was never convinced of overclocking as I keep reading about increased CPU wear.

@threegreen I am literally taking a short break from assembling my upgrade to a Z390 ASUS Hero XI with an i9 9900k, H100i AIO cooler and 32GB 3200 CAS14 ram. I’ve been using a GTX 1080Ti for about 8 months in my current system with a 4K 40” TV. I don’t plan to upgrade the GPU again unless really needed. I should be able to swap out the motherboards by tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I think you're gonna like that setup, Bruce.   I've got one virtually identical to the one you are setting up and it runs P3D 4.x smooth as silk.   I'm looking forward to hearing how yours shakes down.

• Like 1

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

I'm going to send my PC in tomorrow to let them put in the new hardware. I don't trust my own two left hands with this. I'm going with a 2080 ti (MSI Lightning Z) and an i9 9900K plus 16 GB of DDR4-3600 Corsair Vengeance on a Z390 Maximus XI mobo.

I'll report back as soon as I can test performance with P3D 4.4.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Too bad you don't live near me, Bruce.  I have done it for ya for a cup of espresso.  

Congrats on the hew hardware, use it in good health!

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

2 hours ago, Harold_Finch said:

Too bad you don't live near me, Bruce.  I have done it for ya for a cup of espresso. 

You might mean Niklas, I'm about to pull the plug on my Z97 / 4790k and install the Z390 / 9900k. It feels like preparing for a heart transplant operation though.  I would gladly provide the espresso for you to help though. I have never installed such a massive cooler and I'm a bit uneasy about windows post transplant. I plan to simply disconnect my two SSD's (one OS plus some stuff and the other P3D and add ons) and the HD, then reconnect to the new MB and boot it up. Just in case, I made a bootable USB windows media if I need to reinstall. Any advice?

@threegreen  That's an awesome system. I don't blame you for taking it in. Even though I'm experienced at building PCs, the "transplant operation" is a little anxiety producing...

• Like 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

2 hours ago, bbuckley said:

I plan to simply disconnect my two SSD's (one OS plus some stuff and the other P3D and add ons) and the HD, then reconnect to the new MB and boot it up. Just in case, I made a bootable USB windows media if I need to reinstall. Any advice?

Good thing you'll have that bootable USB drive with the Windows installer. :biggrin:  If you're going to try moving your Windows install to the new computer you might try these steps:

Before shutting down the 4790K the final time, delete all the drivers... chipset, LAN, video card.  Basically, dump all drivers associated with the old motherboard.  Take your time and be thorough... you want all those old drivers gone!

Deactivate P3D, and then remove the Client (LM has a very nice PDF on how to do it all... easy to follow).  Only the Client.  I would also not connect the P3D SSD to the new system until you've got the system running well.

When you're ready to start the new system the first time make sure it is NOT connected to the 'Net.  Last thing you want is MS installing a bunch of drivers they think you'll want! :wink: 

When you fire off the new system the first time follow the ASUS instructions for getting into the BIOS on the first boot.  A couple critical things they left out of the book... disable the WIFI (for now), and (most important) disable "Download & Install Armory Crate app" on the TOOLS page.  The latter is useless bloatware that will age you!

Once the system boots into Windows it will probably want you to confirm that you are a real owner of the OS.  Just click on "later" and go about installing all the drivers.  Start with the motherboard chipset drivers.  I like to reboot after each driver installation.  Next do the video card drivers.  Follow on with the rest of the motherboard drivers you'll need.  After all the drivers are installed deal with Windows nagging you about registering.

Once you get everything humming along nicely, the P3D Client can be installed and sim reactivated.

For your XI Hero, Spector/Meltdown mitigation was introduced in BIOS 0805.

Good luck... looking forward to how these 9900K system builds go!

Greg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@lownslo Greg, thanks for all that awesome advice! Printing it out. Now it's a little more intimidating but I'm sure I can work through it.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:06 PM, bbuckley said:

@threegreen I am literally taking a short break from assembling my upgrade to a Z390 ASUS Hero XI with an i9 9900k, H100i AIO cooler and 32GB 3200 CAS14 ram. I’ve been using a GTX 1080Ti for about 8 months in my current system with a 4K 40” TV. I don’t plan to upgrade the GPU again unless really needed. I should be able to swap out the motherboards by tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it goes. 

How did it go?

5 hours ago, threegreen said:

How did it go?

I got detoured a bit over this US holiday weekend. And last week I was dealing with REX EF issues.  My 4790k is running pretty good so I’m a little afraid of pulling the plug. The new board is ready to put in the case.  Will advise!

• Like 1