Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Upgrading CPU and GPU - need some final input

@threegreen Just finished the upgrade build and it's awesome! Build went very smooth and start up and re-activation of P3D was incredibly smooth. The VC is amazingly crisp & clear. I haven't tried any overclocking of anything yet so I think I still have some headroom. Temps and utilizations are looking great but I need to do flight testing in the next few days.

@lownslo Greg, thanks so much for your advice and help!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Congrats Bruce!! 🥂 Glad it all went well for you... you've got a wonderful simming machine to fly with now!

2 hours ago, bbuckley said:

...but I need to do flight testing in the next few days.

Lot's of that always going on here. :biggrin:

Greg

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 3:09 AM, bbuckley said:

@threegreen Just finished the upgrade build and it's awesome! Build went very smooth and start up and re-activation of P3D was incredibly smooth. The VC is amazingly crisp & clear. I haven't tried any overclocking of anything yet so I think I still have some headroom. Temps and utilizations are looking great but I need to do flight testing in the next few days.

Have you had time to do some testing?

I'd be interested in hearing how it performs because I still can't see for myself on my system. It arrived back at my place but Murphy's law struck and the GPU is broken. Need to send it back again so they put in a card that works this time...

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

6 hours ago, threegreen said:

Have you had time to do some testing?

Oh yes! I’ve been flying it for some time now. Awesome! I don’t try to push FPS, in fact I use RTSS to externally synch to scanline x/2 and I keep my 40” 4K TV set to 60hz. Even at my toughest sceneries I get the 30ish FPS expected and very smooth. The antialiasing is superb and the scenery loading is great. You’re gonna love it!

Bruce

• Like 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

11 hours ago, bbuckley said:

Oh yes! I’ve been flying it for some time now. Awesome! I don’t try to push FPS, in fact I use RTSS to externally synch to scanline x/2 and I keep my 40” 4K TV set to 60hz. Even at my toughest sceneries I get the 30ish FPS expected and very smooth. The antialiasing is superb and the scenery loading is great. You’re gonna love it!

That sounds awesome. What settings level do you use in P3D and what sceneries are the ones you describe as your toughest?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

40 minutes ago, threegreen said:

That sounds awesome. What settings level do you use in P3D and what sceneries are the ones you describe as your toughest?

P3D settings pg1

P3D settings pg2

P3D settings pg3

I think Turbulent L35 and LVFR KSNA are the toughest. I have a lot of ORBX stuff, Base, LC, vector and several regions (but not SOCAL) and a bunch of airports.

Right now I have HT on and I'm using AffinityMask=65533  /// 1111 1111 1111 1101    and run my addons in a bat with affinity FFF0   1111 1111 1111 0000. I know most people say turn HT off and no AM in P3D with this many cores but it just seems to load sceneries faster with it on for me. I'll keep playing with it. I also use FFTF Dynamic in the AGL mode. Too much info? 😁

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

You're settings are way higher than mine at the moment, especially autogen. I'm hoping I'll be able to crank them up. Not all the way but similar to yours. Do you fly GA or airliners?

I use 4xSSAA (except when at an airport with dynamic lighting). Is 8xMSAA so much better on your system?

20 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Too much info? 😁

Almost 😉. I never bothered too much about this sort of settings so I don't use AM and HT is on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

Do you fly GA or airliners?

GA all the time. Sometimes a Bonanza sometimes a Phenom 100.

I haven't really tried to compare 4xSSAA vs 8xMSAA very much. I think 8xMSAA looks better for me.

4 hours ago, bbuckley said:

GA all the time. Sometimes a Bonanza sometimes a Phenom 100.

I haven't really tried to compare 4xSSAA vs 8xMSAA very much. I think 8xMSAA looks better for me.

Thanks, appreciate the input.