Sign in to follow this  
gpf3m

Orbx TE Southern England

Anyone willing to share their experience with Orbx TE Southern England with the 4.5 hot fix?  

No difference for me post hot fix. Performance is no better as I’m still missing about half my performance. I’m going to reinstall fully and try again.

Thanks.  Let me know what you find.

Was curious myself, as I do a lot of my flying in the UK and Ireland. So I finally bought True Earth Great Britain South a couple of days ago.

Performance is okayish with my rather high settings. I get 25 (locked at 25) with the PMDG T7 and a few FPS less (18 something during approach) with the FSL A320. The higher you get, the better are the frames. It helped me a lot to remove all BGL files with 3DM in the name (you will lose the custom shaped buildings then, but not autogen and POIs). Moreover, loading time is vastly reduced without the 3DM... files. But all in all, performance is not that far off from the FTX ENG region that I used in the past.

However, the scenery is a mixed bag for me with P3D 4.5. My biggest issues are blurries, which I can not get rid off even with LOD on Ultra and TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. Up to 5000ft, the scenery is very crisp. But blurries start when I climb above this altitude. 
Another issue (and that might be nitpicking) is the autogen. Trees and house placement is fantastic. But I would say that cities and villages stand more out (in an artificial way) compared to a LC based solution. P3D's autogen simply looks a bit off here with the ugly and oversized models.

To sum it up, it is a nice scenery for VFR flying (with the limitations of the ugly autogen) but I would not recommend it for IFR flying.

Just going by videos and screens I would say that the whole True Earth line is shining in XP. But in P3D, neither TE NLD nor TE GBS can really impress me. But this is the way ORBX has chosen and John Venema already announced that the OLC Africa team will focus on XP Global next, instead of working on the years ago announced OLC Asia.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you want a screenshot/video from a certain place.

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

@Wolkenschreck that's a solid summary for how I view TE GB south.  It doesn't work great out of the box for IFR flying.  It shines in XP11 right now especially if you want to fly around London, but you aren't getting a locked 30 in a tube taking off from EGLL toward London, at least not without sacrificing a lot of the eye candy.  Personal opinion is stick with OpenLC for that.  If you want to fly around small airfields in an A2A plane TE GB does offer a lot in P3D.  Especially if you have some decent hardware.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, very much appreciated.

And something I forgot to mention:
With adequate hardware and MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000 and SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000, one can get a crystal clear scenery until the horizon and this even with a high airspeed. However, loadings times are then for me some 10 minutes (and the 3DM... bgl files would add another 5 minutes) with a Samsung 850 SSD. Also, core usage is very high with those settings. It may work with the Majestic Q400, but other heavy iron is too much for my PC with such a load.

Another point that is worthwhile to mention: TE GBS plays very nicely with all the UK2000 airports.

• Upvote 1

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thank you much for your honest review.  I prefer to fly low and slow, with an occasional regional airliner thrown in. 

Perhaps I should pass on his title. It’s a shame, however, as I enjoy the English scenery. 

14 minutes ago, gpf3m said:

Thank you much for your honest review.  I prefer to fly low and slow, with an occasional regional airliner thrown in. 

Perhaps I should pass on his title. It’s a shame, however, as I enjoy the English scenery. 

Eh?  TE is designed precisely for the low and slow type of flying you want to do. 

Both @Wolkenschreckand @TravelRunner404 have stated that heavy metal IFR flying is what TE is not good for.

Apart from over London, I can use the Majestic Dash comfortably everywhere else and PMDG 737NGX is solid except for a few occasional stutters on approach to EGBB or EGGD where airport and city are in same view.

Orbx is having a sale on at the moment, so this is the best time to try it out to see if it works well for you.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter