Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

If I Wanted a WW2 Experience ...

Hi, I fly FSX, with a full cockpit build, Saitek and iPads, all tied together with FSUIPC. Flying ww2 aircraft in the FSX modern simulation lacks atmosphere. What could I move to, to experience exciting WW2 air combat? And could I use my Saitek cockpit? That last part is important! I've heard of Il-2. 

Cheers, Paul Elliott

How about Combat Flight Simulator?

Here's another one!  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Dare I say it? DCS. Download the open beta(EVERYONE uses it!) HERE

It's free and comes with a TF-51 Mustang and a Russian jet of some sort. The catch is, you pay for aircraft. P-51, Spitfire, Fw 190. Bf 109 and so on. Try it, can't cost you anything. I'm hooked on it. I'm not into combat but if that's your thing I don't think you'd be disappointed

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

5 hours ago, Mithras said:

Hi, I fly FSX, with a full cockpit build, Saitek and iPads, all tied together with FSUIPC. Flying ww2 aircraft in the FSX modern simulation lacks atmosphere. What could I move to, to experience exciting WW2 air combat? And could I use my Saitek cockpit? That last part is important! I've heard of Il-2. 

Cheers, Paul Elliott

I fly Wings of Prey on Steam, if you have the HD space, DCS is highly recommended here, I do not have it.  I highly recommend Wings of Prey, an oldie but a goodie.

John

IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover, Blitz Edition:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/754530/IL2_Sturmovik_Cliffs_of_Dover_Blitz_Edition

The original Cliffs of Dover was pretty poor but Team Fusion took it over and this is the latest edition and it's really very good. There are more high quality flighable aircraft than Wings Over The Reich and you don't need to have CFS3 as you do with WOTR. 

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

For slow moving planes and lots of old timey atmosphere, both Rise of Flight and Wings Over Flanders (same company as Wings over the Reich) are great. WOF is behind the times as far as graphics and eye candy. I love it though. ROF  on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXyOQZnx3YE

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Also consider TrackIR or  TobII so you don't need to control looking around with the Saitek, but just turn your head slightly to look sideways or up and down.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 hours ago, Fielder said:

Also consider TrackIR or  TobII

Or, better still, get all the same functionality for as little as nothing with Opentrack (if you already have a decent webcam). You can use it with an Aruco tracker and it's completely free or you can make/buy an LED clip and it still costs just a fraction of TrackIR or Tobii.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit